Defensive Big Man Choices

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Given the apparent level of interest in Davis, neither did 28 other front offices. And the one that did take a shot is basically paying him the minimum.

So who has the value of Ed Davis wrong? Every front office in the NBA, or a couple of fans on a web forum?
To be fair its closer to every front office in the NBA, or every fan on every web forum, since that deal is seemingly universally being looked at a !! steal by the Lakers. There is something decidedly odd about it. If the second year is a player option I think that would be the best explanation: he wanted to go someplace he could be guaranteed big minutes so he could opt out next year and get paid.

Bricklayer

It's his first contract after his rookie deal he is taking the most money available.
maybe. Like I say, I would almost be surprised if that second year is not player option. it normally is on mini-contracts like that. Coming out of his rookie deal, his value has been trashed in Memphis, wants to go to some team where he feels he can get a lot of PT and hope that instead of getting a $3mil a year contract this year, go get a $7mil a year deal next year. If that was the thinking though, must not have been terribly pleased to see the Boozer signing.

maybe. Like I say, I would almost be surprised if that second year is not player option. it normally is on mini-contracts like that. Coming out of his rookie deal, his value has been trashed in Memphis, wants to go to some team where he feels he can get a lot of PT and hope that instead of getting a $3mil a year contract this year, go get a $7mil a year deal next year. If that was the thinking though, must not have been terribly pleased to see the Boozer signing.
I thought the same thing. It's going to be hard to find minutes with Boozer, Hill, and Randle all on the roster with him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Instead of starting a new thread, figured I'd put this here...Since Acy has not been re-signed yet, it got me to thinking that maybe his roster spot is up for grabs. This is just hypothetical but if the Kings had 1 space for either Acy, Moreland or Oriakhi, which player do you keep?

Acy- has great intangibles the organization needs, tweener who doesn't have a position but does a little of everything but nothing great

Moreland- project who does the things that this team needs, but shows flashes during Summer League....has the length and motor to rebound and block shots, does it eventually translate to NBA...needs to add at least some bulk

Oriakhi- only seen him the one game but showed a little bit of mid range game and half hook inside, moved the ball on offense, may have some shotblocking skills and/or rebounding skills. Really need a longer look but didn't look like a complete stiff in first game.

Who would you keep?

I think Acy's developed 3pt shot keeps him on the team. I also feel he is a good chemistry guy.

I like Moreland has mean in him. He seems to enjoy intimidating at the rim.

Just like you, haven't seen enough of Oriakhi to have any feel for him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think Acy's developed 3pt shot keeps him on the team. I also feel he is a good chemistry guy.

I like Moreland has mean in him. He seems to enjoy intimidating at the rim.

Just like you, haven't seen enough of Oriakhi to have any feel for him.
I may lean to keeping Moreland over Acy because I think the upside for Acy is limited. I don't think he can ever be a rotation guy on a playoff team but I do think he can be part of a playoff team.....if that makes sense.

Moreland on the other hand, could be a part of a rotation or at least his skill set could. His length is a plus. He is a quick jumper....gets off the floor fast repeatedly and that skill in itself can lead to be a good rebounder/shot blocker/defender. The FO has got to be looking hard at him.

I think Moreland ends up in Reno. He has quick jumps, but he struggles at the rim. No real style in getting his shot up. He's like JT was in his rookie year, just throwing it at the rim. No technique. So I'd like to see that developed and he could become a rotation type of player.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think Moreland ends up in Reno. He has quick jumps, but he struggles at the rim. No real style in getting his shot up. He's like JT was in his rookie year, just throwing it at the rim. No technique. So I'd like to see that developed and he could become a rotation type of player.
I certainly hope the team doesn't let Moreland escape. I'm not saying he's a great NBA shot blocker because he isn't. It's just that a little play might turn him into at least a decent shot blocker and that would be as close as we have come ever. (?)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about John Henson from the Bucks?

He can play PF and C, and has excellent size. Good shot blocker and rebounder. Could be a nice fit next to Cousins. Still on his rookie deal as well.

Granted their interest would be dependant on what line up they go with (ie Knight, Mayo, Giannis, Parker, Sanders or Knight, Giannis, Parker, Ilyasova or Henson, Sanders etc), and if they decide to keep Ersan Ilyasova, but Henson could be an excellent acquisition if we could pull a deal off for him.

Obviously Sanders could be an option as well, but a guy like Henson does come without negative track record (?).

Bricklayer

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about John Henson from the Bucks?

He can play PF and C, and has excellent size. Good shot blocker and rebounder. Could be a nice fit next to Cousins. Still on his rookie deal as well.

Granted their interest would be dependant on what line up they go with (ie Knight, Mayo, Giannis, Parker, Sanders or Knight, Giannis, Parker, Ilyasova or Henson, Sanders etc), and if they decide to keep Ersan Ilyasova, but Henson could be an excellent acquisition if we could pull a deal off for him.

Obviously Sanders could be an option as well, but a guy like Henson does come without negative track record (?).
Hensen does get mentioned occasionally around here, but questions about how to get him, is he even available, and then some questionable impact stats on a really terrible team. Suppose I should have watched more exciting Bucks basketball so I could form a more coherent opinion on what he could bring, but the whole gouging my eyes out thing was just a turn off.

K

KingMilz

The thing with Henson is how much better if at all is he overall than JT atm? If we are getting a PF we need to get someone who is clearly better than JT and I don't beleive Henson is right now but he off course has the potential to be.

The thing with Henson is how much better if at all is he overall than JT atm? If we are getting a PF we need to get someone who is clearly better than JT and I don't beleive Henson is right now but he off course has the potential to be.
The only thing that JT lacks to be a really good pairing next to Cousins is the shotblocking. Everything else you would be looking for in that ever elusive player JT has

Good rebounder? Check
Solid passer? Check
Respectable mid range jumper? Check
Does not need shots to be effective? Check
Energy and hustle? Check
Solid man defender? Check
Can play 4 and 5? Check
Can guard stretch 4s? Check
Shot blocking? Nope!

The only thing that JT lacks to be a really good pairing next to Cousins is the shotblocking. Everything else you would be looking for in that ever elusive player JT has

Good rebounder? Check
Solid passer? Check
Energy and hustle? Check
Can play 4 and 5? Check
Shot blocking? Nope!
He did express in that long interview with Cowbell Kingdom, that he does need shots to feel like he's being included in the offense. I thought it was definitely clear that it bothers him a lot when he doesn't get his definition of 'minimum' amount of touches and shots

He did express in that long interview with Cowbell Kingdom, that he does need shots to feel like he's being included in the offense. I thought it was definitely clear that it bothers him a lot when he doesn't get his definition of 'minimum' amount of touches and shots
I think it was the lack of touches that bothered him more than shots. It wasn't uncommon for our PFs and SGs to go long periods of time without touching the ball.

Good rebounder? Check
Solid passer? Check
Energy and hustle? Check
Can play 4 and 5? Check
Shot blocking? Nope!
You make it sound as if JT is worth his contract.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think JT may even be slightly underpaid considering what big men cost and that might be why we've never traded him. He actually should net something of value because he would be a great 3rd big for just about any team. He does everything good except block shots without doing anything great. But he'll play both positions and contribute big minutes if your other bigs land in early foul trouble.

If he ever finds himself on a winning team (hopefully ours), hopefully some of the stink of being on a losing team and getting jerked around so much will rinse right off.

IMO the list should be limited to guys who can guard both the 4 and 5 spot. Whoever plays with Cousins needs to defend the other teams best Big Man.

I think only 4 of these guys can guard Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge.
1. Serge Ibaka
2. Derrick Favors
3. Larry Sanders
4. Taj Gibson
Not sold on Gibson as a top defender.

Good rebounder? Check
Solid passer? Check
Energy and hustle? Check
Can play 4 and 5? Check
Shot blocking? Nope!
I fully agree JT is a worthy big on this team at $6M/year. He is a very capable back-up on both the 4 and 5. It would be like $3M as back-up PF and another $3M at back-up C. Not over-payed if you see him that way.

Get Larry Sanders as your shot blocker and we're set with our rotation on the 4 and 5 with Cousins, Sanders, and JT. Then get cheap players like Moreland to fill in the rest.

Last edited:
I fully agree JT is a worthy big on this team at $6M/year. He is a very capable back-up on both the 4 and 5. It would be like $3M as back-up PF and another $3M at back-up C. Not over-payed if you see him that way.

Get Larry Sanders as your shot blocker and we're set with our rotation on the 4 and 5 with Cousins, Sanders, and JT. Then get cheap players like Moreland to fill in the rest.
and how do we get rid of Carlos? i was hoping they would package him with IT at the deadline for an expiring. kill 2 birds with one stone.

Now why would they want to take a risk on a questionable personality in Sanders....and also pay him a ton of money, when we've got a prospect in Moreland who plays a very similar style and can sign to a much lower cost rooking contract?

Good rebounder? Check
Solid passer? Check
Energy and hustle? Check
Can play 4 and 5? Check
Shot blocking? Nope!
The Maddening thing about JT is his inability to keep from playing defense with his hands instead of his feet. Most of his fouls are "reach in" fouls and very seldom is he able to steal a ball without fouling. He's had too many years in the NBA to not have learned this lesson. I do agree, however, that if the FO is going to trade him, they better get someone better!!
Go Kings!!