Report: Kings finalizing sign and trade with Suns for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not starting over Bledsoe or Dragic, but in that offense he's going to see plenty of touches. Despite all this noise about starting, which Isaiah contributed to with his recent comments, that's what really matters for a player like IT.

Last edited:
Can't believe some are trying to compare this to when Ellis left the Warriors. Ellis left to give the ball to Steph Curry (who turned into a top 10 player in the world), we are gonna give the ball to Collison( a career backup) and it opens up more shots for Ben McLemore(hurray!), Cousins and Gay had all the touches they could handle with IT too. So we are basically hoping guys like McLemore, Derrick Williams become anything of value. We are going to suck next season unless Cousins goes from great offensive weapon to great 2 way player and Gay takes his game to another level(won't happen).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, why did Phoenix have to give that valuable TPE to Sacramento?

Do they have to sweeten the deal or just playing nice to Sacramento?
Phoenix didn't "give" us a traded player exception. It's not as if they had the traded player exception. They didn't. The traded player exception was created out of thin air because of the fact that we didn't take any salary back in the trade. Was Phoenix playing nice? Yes, pretty much. But they gave us effectively nothing. The only asset they gave up was the draft rights to a player who is currently playing in Europe and may never play in the NBA.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Blah.

Was not a fan of IT as a starter. But I think we could have gotten more for the lil guy.

If only he would have accepted a 6th man role with us.... Ah well. He was better than Vasquez, and better than Ray Mac, and he's better than DC...So I didnt expect him to stick around coming off the bench.

And the talent bleed continues...

Blah.

Was not a fan of IT as a starter. But I think we could have gotten more for the lil guy.

If only he would have accepted a 6th man role with us.... Ah well. He was better than Vasquez, and better than Ray Mac, and he's better than DC...So I didnt expect him to stick around coming off the bench.

And the talent bleed continues...
For a moment I thought "Whoa!!! Wait a minute", then I remembered that Kings now have DFC and DC. :rolleyes:

I would not be too optimistic about Oriakhi.
He began last season with Limoges, France.
He was cut after 4 games, averaging 2.8 pts, 1.8 reb, 7 minutes.
Limoges coach publicly criticized his rebounding and defensive IQ.

Phoenix didn't "give" us a traded player exception. It's not as if they had the traded player exception. They didn't. The traded player exception was created out of thin air because of the fact that we didn't take any salary back in the trade. Was Phoenix playing nice? Yes, pretty much. But they gave us effectively nothing. The only asset they gave up was the draft rights to a player who is currently playing in Europe and may never play in the NBA.
I think they gave us more flexibility in future trades which is better than just letting IT walk away.

I can imagine there will be one or more teams needing to slash their salary to open-up more space so they could sign their coveted expensive players. Now we became more attractive trading partner to them because of that TPE.

We can (for example only), say stretch Terry or Even JT or Landry to free-up some of our cap space, then use the $7m TPE to absorb a player like Taj Gibson (if for example Gibson's salary is what it takes for the Bulls to sign both Anthony and Gasol) without giving them back any salary.

I think this is huge. But of course only if the right circumstance/opportunity happens.

Last edited:
Was it confirmed that PDA rejected offers for IT at the trade deadline?

For all we know, teams could have offered only 2nd round picks for IT which isn't really all that better than what they got out of the S&T.

If that was case, PDA probably rolled the dice to see if he could re-sign IT on the cheap rather than make a bad trade mid season.

Good deal for PHO.

It hurts that IT and Tyreke (the guys who spoke up most for Sac) are both gone in just over one season.

Go get yours Isaiah. I'll cheer for you if you go off first time back n town.
If they end up resigning Bledsoe, which all indications point to, I actually think their signing of IT is a bit redundant, and not at all a good move. Why would a team want so much money tied up in their PG position? I think IT might be insurance if Bledsoe leaves. Phoenix needs better big men, I think the position they put themselves in if they resign Bledsoe, will not be a good one long term. Besides, I can't wait to see IT hoisting shot after shot in the 4th while Bledsoe and Dragic watch. That type of crap won't fly in Phoenix.

Bottom line is Isaiah signed for half the money that Lowry and Irving did. The entire league seconded the fact that he didn't merit that kind of pay. He took six million from Phoenix, but would not have taken six million from the Kings. The Kings couldn't get anyone to offer much in a side and trade because nobody was that desperate to get him. They liked drafting Stouskas more than trading the #8 pick because McElmore is not going to pan out and Stouskas may well be a good player.

Go Collison. Go Stouskas. Sign someone before the season starts. Yay.

Adios Isaiah, you had a good stats year and got paid. Just not as much as you thought you were worth.

Another transaction handled really poorly by the front office! Whether people wanted IT on the team or not is really irrelevant. The bottom line is that we lost our 3rd best player from last season for nothing. People will talk up the TPE but fact is those rarely get used and we are right on the tax line which would make us a luxury paying team if we used it!

Holding on to an asset for too long is NEVER a good thing! We lost an asset for sweet **** all and we got no one else to blame but ourselves! For a team that does not have many assets to start off with, this is a big blow!

The silver lining in all this is that we should have some cap room next year to make a run on a very good player and hope that we one again can get a good player in th draft. As we stand right now, we are probably worse off in terms of pure talent than we were at the end of last season and that is not a good place to be at! Btu again, no one els to blame but ourselves. Other than the Rudy Gay gamble, this front office has not made a single good move since they took over from previous hierarchy.

Another transaction handled really poorly by the front office! Whether people wanted IT on the team or not is really irrelevant. The bottom line is that we lost our 3rd best player from last season for nothing. People will talk up the TPE but fact is those rarely get used and we are right on the tax line which would make us a luxury paying team if we used it!

Holding on to an asset for too long is NEVER a good thing! We lost an asset for sweet **** all and we got no one else to blame but ourselves! For a team that does not have many assets to start off with, this is a big blow!

The silver lining in all this is that we should have some cap room next year to make a run on a very good player and hope that we one again can get a good player in th draft. As we stand right now, we are probably worse off in terms of pure talent than we were at the end of last season and that is not a good place to be at! Btu again, no one els to blame but ourselves. Other than the Rudy Gay gamble, this front office has not made a single good move since they took over from previous hierarchy.
Resigning Cousin is great. The signing of Luc and turning him into DWill was a decent move. RayMac may turn out nice. Nic appears to be good, but I think there was most likely greater value in trading the pick. The rest have absolutely sucked!

Resigning Cousin is great. The signing of Luc and turning him into DWill was a decent move. RayMac may turn out nice. Nic appears to be good, but I think there was most likely greater value in trading the pick. The rest have absolutely sucked!
1) I liked the move that brought in Rudy Gay. And I will add the not signing of Tyreke indirectly got Rudy because of the asset of Vasquez that was used.
2) Thornton for Reggie Evans and Jason Terry was a nice trade IMO.
3) Landry was injured, how do you grade that? I know everyone wants to dump on the Front Office due to the Landry signing but I will withhold that grade until Landry plays a few games for the Kings this season:)

The one question I have in my mind that remains unanswered is if the ability to assemble a cohesive team exists in the skill set of anyone currently employed by the Kings. Does the vision of assembling a squad that defends as well as scores exist? Or is this group truly just a clone of the Warriors, Nuggets, run and gun, midget Nellie ball, out score the other team, run them off the court style that got George Karl fired the other year after winning COY???

Anyhow I will continue to be patient and enjoy watching the young Kings Summer League team.

KB

Of course, if we are talking second-rounders from Heat, Pacers or Spurs, those are useless in reality as well.
Don't tell that to San Antonio. In fact, don't even tell that to Isaiah. When you have the right scouts and system in place, combined at times with a little luck, every single pick has value and should be treated as such.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think they gave us more flexibility in future trades which is better than just letting IT walk away.
You're right. Let me rephrase that (in fact it was late after a long day, it might have been a typo in the first place): "They gave UP effectively nothing". The trade exception can only help us. But it didn't cost Phoenix anything.

You're right. Let me rephrase that (in fact it was late after a long day, it might have been a typo in the first place): "They gave UP effectively nothing". The trade exception can only help us. But it didn't cost Phoenix anything.
It saved Phoenix time and averted risk. Signing IT put a 3 day hold on the transaction for the Kings to match. Risking the Kings changing their minds or Collison/McCallum getting hurt where the Kings would need to match.

Don't tell that to San Antonio. In fact, don't even tell that to Isaiah. When you have the right scouts and system in place, combined at times with a little luck, every single pick has value and should be treated as such.
There's only one San Antonio. Everyone wants to be able to draft like them, but that's not the reality. If it means that much to a team, they can just buy 2nd rounder. These 2nd rounders are traded for cash all the time. That's how GM's view them.

Status
Not open for further replies.