Report: Kings finalizing sign and trade with Suns for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 1m
Hung out with a bunch of people from all over the league last night in Vegas. No one has any clue what the Kings are doing.
one can only hope the kings themselves know what they're doing, but it's certainly not clear to me. at this point, i don't find lowe's criticisms to be particularly unfair. i wasn't a proponent of keeping isaiah thomas in the long term, but i was in favor of acquiring something useful for him via trade. i thought it was fairly obvious that the kings were going to trade IT before the deadline. all the classic signifiers were there: they shipped out vasquez and were forced to play thomas in a demanding starting role with no true back-up. then they allowed him to run wild on offense with almost no leash whatsoever. they boosted his value to rather extreme heights for an undersized scoring PG... and then they did nothing; they let the trade deadline pass without moving IT, and waited until an unpredictable offseason--when there would be fewer teams with cap space available to pursue his services--to determine that he was out of their price range as a restricted free agent. it strikes me as another botched series of events...

jesus...what the hell were you guys expecting?
Dragic, bledsoe, plumlee, a legitimate player asset?

The suns could've just given him the offer sheet and he could've have left for nothing. Be glad that we got a TPE we could actually use in a future trade for a player who most likely has a large contract, which in all likelihood means a high profile name.

I hope to god something else is in the works.....I'm floored that that's all we got back
Your surprised? I sure as hell am not. They got a pair pf 2nd rd picks and vasquez for reke. I looked up a website earlier to see ehat the protection is on the miami pick owed to cleveland and saw that gerbil has traded all the 2nd rd picks up tp 2017 or 2018. This os the kings reality. Noob ownership plus noob front office. They should shipped it out before the deadline to get a late 1st or some 2nd rd picks. Now we get a trade exeption which gerbil will be humping to use on a nother landry level player.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yep those guys hate the Kings...look at Zach Lowe's biting article on Demarcus Cousin's contract deal...
This isn't some witch hunt against Sactown. A number here who discuss this team every day see the same exact thing.

It's a small market mentality to blame it on others having a grudge against our team/city. You want to be a big boy you've got to learn to play with the big boys and you'll be judged accordingly.

No one nationally is judging us based off Vivek saving the team. That's an entirely separate issue. We're being judged by our transactions, the decisions our FO is making. And many can see there's a number of red flags here.

This is NOT the roster the Kings take into the season. I am still waiting for a move that improves this team. My patience is very thin.

Danny Ainge is being hailed as genius for executing his trade exemption trade with Cleveland this week.

I don't really see how this can't pan out down the road. At least we don't take back guys we don't want just to take something back. We aren't letting him walk for nothing, we get something back in return and I have to believe we will use it because we aren't in the Maloofs hands.
Well i think Ainge would actually know what to do with an exceptions.

we really have no leverage here. No cap room either. That sort of thing might well be the best we could do. Almost a favor to us.
To be clear on my own stance, I don't disagree. I disagree with not moving him when they had the chance, let alone letting Evans walk only to replace the entire backcourt with worse pieces.

Lmfao!!! Ive questioned their moves gor a long time now. Its those who believe they need more time to figure it out. By then the kings will be handicapped by bad contracts
The contracts we have right now aren't horrible. Landry is overpaid, but it's not a laughably overpaid contract. We just have too many PFs that aren't good enough, which leads me to believe that we still have more moves that we will make. Our PG position isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, neither is SG. SF and C is where most of the money is tied up and the rest at PF. We need to clear the PF slot up, maybe then we will be able to make some sense of what is going on.

The contracts we have right now aren't horrible. Landry is overpaid, but it's not a laughably overpaid contract. We just have too many PFs that aren't good enough, which leads me to believe that we still have more moves that we will make. Our PG position isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, neither is SG. SF and C is where most of the money is tied up and the rest at PF. We need to clear the PF slot up, maybe then we will be able to make some sense of what is going on.
The problem is that we still have a ton of roster issues and little to no assets to fix them. Meanwhile, we've wasted the assets we do have.

Really curious to hear Cousins take on the move
i have to imagine that the front office already spoke to demarcus about the likelihood of thomas leaving. i seriously doubt the new regime allows DMC lebron-level influence over personnel moves, but i want to believe that they were smart enough to include him in the discussion prior to making the determination that they wouldn't bring back IT...

Status
Not open for further replies.