[2014] The Finals

Will the Spurs end our long national nightmare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Help me, Obi Wan Popovich. You're my only hope.

Thursday June 5th
MIA@SAS-9 P.M. EST on ABC

Sunday June 8th
MIA@SAS- 8 P.M. EST on ABC

Tuesday June 10th
SAS@MIA- 9 P.M. EST on ABC

Thursday June 12th
SAS@MIA- 9 P.M. EST on ABC

Sunday June 15th
MIA@SAS- 8 P.M. EST on ABC (if necessary)

Tuesday June 17th
SAS@MIA- 9 P.M. EST on ABC (if necessary)

Friday June 20th
MIA@SAS- 9 P.M. EST on ABC (if necessary)

Last edited:
I really want Spurs to win but... can they slay one two-headed monster (Durant and Westbrook) and then turn right around do same to Miami's big three? I really want Spurs to win but... how is Tony Parker's gimpy ankle? I really want Spurs to win but... I don't know who captures title this year. I think probably goes 7. This is going to be helluva fight of NBA titans - no question best two teams in the association standing.

While I will be pulling really hard for the Spurs to beat the Heat, I just don't think they will be able to contain LeBron James in a 7 game series....I hope San Antonio kicks their butts, but I just don't know how they will stop LBJ....Miami in 7

this'll be insane, can't remember being as excited about a Finals matchup in...well pretty much ever. *if* Parker is healthy, this should be the Spurs' series to lose. they were as close as you can get last year, have gotten stronger, and Miami isn't on the same level as they were last year. Andersen and Cole are playing better, but most of the rest of their has gotten worse (Allen has pretty much retained his level of play, imo). Battier is less reliable, Chalmers hasn't been doing much, they've lost Miller, and I don't see Lewis replicating his performance against Indy. Wade might be better this year, what with all the resting he's been doing, but let's see.

the Spurs meanwhile have a stronger backup option to Parker with Mills' improvement (hugely important even if Parker is healthy), Kawhi has gotten better, and Manu is looking a lot more spry than he did last year. they might not be able to surprise LeBron with their defensive gameplan to the extent they did last year, but he has been looking human at times, too. bottom line, with home court advantage and out for revenge, I see the Spurs winning this series. maybe I'm being uncharacteristically optimistic, but whatever. go Spurs!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion :)
How is that an "opinion"?

As far as this series goes, I see one very important aspect that leads me to believe Miami will win: the midrange J. Last year, the Spurs dared the Heat to shoot them and Lebron and Wade were very hesitant and unsuccessful when they tried up until late in the series. This year, it seems as if that has become an area of comfort for the Heat.

Should be an amazing series, though. One team out for revenge, and the other out to replicate history. I give the edge to the team with the best player in the game and a little more to play for.

Go heat! Lebron James all day!

I guess we aren't supposed to root for the best player in the world to win. San Antonio will get demolished. And so will all of your opinions

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'll be rooting for the Spurs in this one, I do NOT want to see a 3peat. I'm hoping this goes to 7, last year was epic I don't see why this one will be any different.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
this'll be insane, can't remember being as excited about a Finals matchup in...well pretty much ever. *if* Parker is healthy, this should be the Spurs' series to lose. they were as close as you can get last year, have gotten stronger, and Miami isn't on the same level as they were last year. Andersen and Cole are playing better, but most of the rest of their has gotten worse (Allen has pretty much retained his level of play, imo). Battier is less reliable, Chalmers hasn't been doing much, they've lost Miller, and I don't see Lewis replicating his performance against Indy. Wade might be better this year, what with all the resting he's been doing, but let's see.

the Spurs meanwhile have a stronger backup option to Parker with Mills' improvement (hugely important even if Parker is healthy), Kawhi has gotten better, and Manu is looking a lot more spry than he did last year. they might not be able to surprise LeBron with their defensive gameplan to the extent they did last year, but he has been looking human at times, too. bottom line, with home court advantage and out for revenge, I see the Spurs winning this series. maybe I'm being uncharacteristically optimistic, but whatever. go Spurs!

Amazing difference in enthusiasm. I've already seen this one, one team disgusts me and the other is a endless pit of same ole that just needs to go away now.. I probably won't even catch all the games this time. But glad it works for somebody.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You know, 3-peats happen all the time. Just as much as solo championships. I didn't know that. Shocker. You, sir, have made my day.
I notice that you still haven't explained how that means that Miami has more to play for; your entire argument appears to be be based on the notion that you expect people to accept it as some sort of "universal truth" that threepeat > five championships. But that is not, in fact, a "universal truth," it is an opinion. Therefore, "because threepeat" is not an answer.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Amazing difference in enthusiasm. I've already seen this one, one team disgusts me and the other is a endless pit of same ole that just needs to go away now.. I probably won't even catch all the games this time. But glad it works for somebody.
Are you still glad if it works for two somebodies?

The Spurs are, like, old. I don't see how they can be reasonably favored over this Heat group. I think the whole world feels the same way too - from what I read on Twitter, the line opened with Spurs as favorite and swiftly shifted to Heat as favorite as the money rolled in. Just taking what I read on twitter at face value, I'm not positive this is true and I was surprised that the Spurs could have been considered a favorite going in - with or without Parker.

If anybody can dilute the awesomeness of Phil Jackson's pair of three-peats (I do hate that guy a lot), then it is ok with me. I'm rooting for the Heat to pull it off. I will hold my nose and let Douche Bosh ride along - he's the only guy on the heat who I dislike. Lebron deserves all he gets he's the greatest player of the freaking generation.

I hope it will be Spurs in 5!! 4-1 Spurs ;) with the Finals format of 2-2-1-1-1, it will be an advantage for the Spurs..I imagine Spurs taking care of home home court and lead 2 games off the bat, then steal 1 at Heat homecourt, comeback to finish the Heat in 5 at home ;) Spurs looked old beating the Mavs in 7, but destroyed Portland 4-1 , really suprised me as Portland had the length, speed and athleticism to beat the Spurs. Then beat OKC by limiting Durant and let Westbrook hoist some bricks. OKC i think was a tougher match-up with Westbrook driving the lanes. LBJ looks older and a bit slower now although a better shooter now, DWade is playing pretty good and Ray Allen is Ray Allen. But Spurs now have a more experienced core with Green and Leonard including Splitter. Bench is pretty solid with Mills, Diaw, Ginobili, Bellineli. Pop also learned his lesson when he subbed-out Duncan on that critical play where Bosh got the offensive rebound and Allen hit that incredible 3. Spurs should be back on top! Either way really excited for this finals rematch.

The 2-2-1-1-1 format favors the road team if anything. Everyone thinks the old format favored the old team, but it didn't. Those last two games at home are huge for the home team, down in the series or not.