Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

That may be true. All I know is that, when Gay was injured, and unable to play in the playoffs, they upset the Spurs in the first round. The following year, he was healthy, and they went out in the first round. Then, he got traded, and they got to the conference finals.

Does that mean they're better without him? You tell me?
Not necessarily. Circumstances change everything. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why they got further along that next season.

Who'd they defeat in those first two rounds, to get to the conference final?

An
This is a brilliant move not because of Rudy Gay because this move will push us to focus on the 2015 free agency with cap room available for a max contract.

Having any sort of cap space for next year would of been really bad. We would probably Of had 8-10 million tops and wasted that on a mediocre player. The potential free agents of 2014 are guys like Wade and Lebron who are not coming for Sacramento for any kind of money, there is no middle level talent that is ready to take the leap that we can throw money at.

Now we can focus on 2015 and we can get a young, rising star if we throw enough money at them. Inn 2015 we are talking about free agents such as Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Klay Thompson, Rajon Rondo, Jimmy Butler, DeAndre Jordon, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Danny Green. These guys are guys on the verge of becoming stars if they already aren't and we will have enough money to throw at them without getting laughed at.
I absolutely agree. We got rid of a bunch of worthless players who, at most, were taking minutes away from developing players. If we do bad enough in the record department, we could get a top whatever pick to go with DMC/McLemore/Gay. If we could re-sign Gay (if things work out), and by the time the FA class comes around that you speak of, it might be enticing for one of them to be the 5th person of that starting line of DMC/McLemore/Gay/2014 pick.

Now we got

C - DMC/Gray/NDiaye
PF - DWill/JT/Landry
SF - Gay/Outlaw/Acy
SG - Ben/Thornton
PG - Jimmer/IT/Ray

What I like with Gray included in the trade is a chance for DMC to play PF for some short stretches since Gray is a legit 7ft guy and can actually play average offense for a big.

As for the PG spot, I hope Jimmer have not given up.
I would really like IT for 6th Man Award, so it would be nice if Jimmer turns into the starting PG.
At least he would prefer to distribute more than IT or Ray would.
He will also stretch the defense giving a lot of open lanes for our damn new athletic trio in DWill/Gay/Ben

Getting rid of Hayes, Salmons, Patterson and Vasquez in one fell swoop is not tanking. Those players were simply not contributing much to the team.

Hopefully this means McCallum will get some playing time.

What I think is that, whether Westbrook was healthy or not, the Grizzlies went further without Gay than they went the season before, with him. And if they had gone out in the second round to Oklahoma City, they still would have gone further without him than they went the season before, with him.
While this is all factually true, I'm not sure thats enough to say Memphis got *better* without Rudy Gay.

Now we got

C - DMC/Gray/NDiaye
PF - DWill/JT/Landry
SF - Gay/Outlaw/Acy
SG - Ben/Thornton
PG - Jimmer/IT/Ray

What I like with Gray included in the trade is a chance for DMC to play PF for some short stretches since Gray is a legit 7ft guy and can actually play average offense for a big.

I would really like IT for 6th Man Award, so it would be nice if Jimmer turns into the starting PG.
He will also stretch the defense giving a lot of open lanes for our damn new athletic trio in DWill/Gay/Ben
Jimmer starting :eek::rolleyes::D

Entity

Hall of Famer
Now we got

C - DMC/Gray/NDiaye
PF - DWill/JT/Landry
SF - Gay/Outlaw/Acy
SG - Ben/Thornton
PG - Jimmer/IT/Ray

JT will still start. Gray will get ndiye min and jimmer does not go from DNP's to starting

Now we got

C - DMC/Gray/NDiaye
PF - DWill/JT/Landry
SF - Gay/Outlaw/Acy
SG - Ben/Thornton
PG - Jimmer/IT/Ray

There is no way jimmer will start at pg

Getting rid of Hayes, Salmons, Patterson and Vasquez in one fell swoop is not tanking. Those players were simply not contributing much to the team.

well... when you're adding one of the most shot-happy, inefficient, and overpaid wings in the league and hanging your hopes on a second-round pick, what is it, exactly, if not tanking?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Oh, no. PLEASE do not start that argument in here.

:( :eek: :oops: o_O

well... when you're adding one of the most shot-happy, inefficient, and overpaid wings in the league and hanging your hopes on a second-round pick, what is it, exactly, if not tanking?
GV was underperforming so far, and Gay will not be worse than a Salmons/Pat combo. So the team is not getting worse unless the team will take shots away from Cuz (and make him unhappy in the process).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now we got

C - DMC/Gray/NDiaye
PF - DWill/JT/Landry
SF - Gay/Outlaw/Acy
SG - Ben/Thornton
PG - Jimmer/IT/Ray

I don't think listing DWill at the 4 and Gay at the 3 is necessarily how things are going to play out. And I'd be totally blown away if Jimmer all of a sudden moved from end of the bench to starter.

Just heard of the news. In PDA we trust.

I never get this excited for a trade, but that's because we had Petrie as GM for so long. And I know Gay is iniefficent and has one year left, but he's much better talent than the package we are sending to the Raptors. Extremely happy.

Oh, and McCallum gets more some PT!!!

Probably the best thing about this trade is that it sets us up for a Rondo-type trade. We have players to offer. (IT, Jimmer, Derrick Williams, Thompson, Gay, Acy)

I'm happy to get rid of Chuck, Salmons, and PPat. I'm also okay with getting rid of Vasquez. Hopefully, Jimmer gets some time now.

I watched Acy play at Baylor. He was that team's leader while Perry Jones was pouting and while Quincy Miller was disappearing. I like him. I'd rather have overweight Aaron Gray than overweight Chuck Hayes...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Guys, this is a heartfelt request... We have discussions of tanking all over this board. Can't we just keep this one about our new players? Pretty pretty pretty please?

GV was underperforming so far, and Gay will not be worse than a Salmons/Pat combo. So the team is not getting worse unless the team will take shots away from Cuz (and make him unhappy in the process).
and it could be very easily argued that trading away the one guard with skill enough to effectively deliver the ball to cousins in the post, replacing him with isaiah thomas in the starting lineup, and adding a chucker like rudy gay to the mix absolutely will result in shots being taken away from cousins...

and it could be very easily argued that trading away the one guard with skill enough to effectively deliver the ball to cousins in the post, replacing him with isaiah thomas in the starting lineup, and adding a chucker like rudy gay to the mix absolutely will result in shots being taken away from cousins...
Yes, which is why I would find it unlikely the team makes the trade with that (and tanking) in mind.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
hey, it makes sense to me. otherwise, i have a hard time reconciling PDA's background in analytics with the acquisition of a player who embodies everything that advanced statistics despises in a player...

;)
Analytics don't exactly love Derrick Williams either. Or for that matter, DeMarcus Cousins.

methinks evidence is mounting that analytics may not be quite the governing force anticipated in the new front office.