[Game] Kings v. Warriors - 12/1/13 - 3 p.m. (PST)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You could tell this was going to be a slaughter as soon as the game started and Klay Thompson just faced no resistance whatsoever. But it wasn't a slaughter as their front-court's ineffectiveness on both ends balanced things out. If you give up 60+ points to the other team's starting backcourt and lose on a last second layup attempt, you must have been doing something right. Mostly what we were doing right was giving the ball to Cousins. McLemore and Williams never got anything going and that was a big problem for us. I understand why Coach Malone left Patterson in the game so long, he was hitting shots and making plays. But Salmons needed to come out halfway through the fourth at least and IT overstayed his welcome by a few minutes as well. Ah well, another close loss against a good team. I actually lost a little bit of respect for the Warriors after this one. Stephen Curry is amazing, but they look beatable otherwise right now which doesn't bode well for their championship aspirations.

hmm, just never seen that before watching bball. And its Bogut so I automatically assume everything he does is him being a complete ass.
That's a surprise. I've seen it loads of times, sometimes with even more time on the clock like 5 seconds or something. There was this epic sequence a few years back where someone did that, the ball came down on the other side of the court with less than a second left and the other team hit a 3 or something to win the game or force OT or something along those lines. I'll try to find it for ya. But yeah, the idea behind it is to let the clock run out while the other team can't foul.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I thought that was a bad play by IT at the end. He had Salmons in the corner for a three. You can't go 70 feet and expect to get a layup there. It's also possible he could have gotten it to Cousins earlier in the clock when they were running up the floor, but that was a little iffy.

It hurt having Cousins out of the game after he got upset and coach took him out. One major breakdown was when IT was pressuring Curry 35 feet from the basket on defense, and then Curry proceeds to go all the way to the basket for a layup. That's inexcusable for the rest of the Kings to let Curry go 35 feet for a layup. If you're going to have your guards pressuring the ball you better be prepared to switch to defend the basket.
Little misleading there. Malone didn't take DMC out because he - DMC - was upset. He took him out so that the Warriors wouldn't be able to force DMC into his 6th foul. It was a smart move, especially since doing it forced GS into focusing on someone else.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Trivia question asked on MSG network, during NOP/NYK game: which was the last team, before the Pelicans to change their name without relocating?

They haven't shown the answer yet, but I'm 99 percent sure it was Washington.

You could tell this was going to be a slaughter as soon as the game started and Klay Thompson just faced no resistance whatsoever. But it wasn't a slaughter as their front-court's ineffectiveness on both ends balanced things out. If you give up 60+ points to the other team's starting backcourt and lose on a last second layup attempt, you must have been doing something right. Mostly what we were doing right was giving the ball to Cousins. McLemore and Williams never got anything going and that was a big problem for us. I understand why Coach Malone left Patterson in the game so long, he was hitting shots and making plays. But Salmons needed to come out halfway through the fourth at least and IT overstayed his welcome by a few minutes as well. Ah well, another close loss against a good team. I actually lost a little bit of respect for the Warriors after this one. Stephen Curry is amazing, but they look beatable otherwise right now which doesn't bode well for their championship aspirations.
Don't forget that they are missing Iggy and Douglas. Can't say too much about Douglas, but Iggy definitely makes a huge difference for them.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That's a surprise. I've seen it loads of times, sometimes with even more time on the clock like 5 seconds or something. There was this epic sequence a few years back where someone did that, the ball came down on the other side of the court with less than a second left and the other team hit a 3 or something to win the game or force OT or something along those lines. I'll try to find it for ya. But yeah, the idea behind it is to let the clock run out while the other team can't foul.

I'd have found it sooner, but I was looking for the wrong person; I knew that Mo Pete was involved...

All in all, can't complain too much about about a close loss to a likely top 5 seed in the west. As far as Malone's coaching tonight, I'd change a few things, like bringing Williams in much sooner. But it's also easy to forget that he's only on his 15th game as well. He'll get a better feel for when to pull his bench and for his starters as the season goes on. We know he can improve the X's and O's part of the team as it's been evident on both sides this season. He just needs more experience with the other aspects of being a head coach

hrdboild

Staff member
Don't forget that they are missing Iggy and Douglas. Can't say too much about Douglas, but Iggy definitely makes a huge difference for them.
That's true -- Iggy is both a playmaker and a defensive stopper, so he's missed on both ends. Bogut and Lee look slower and more overmatched every time I see them though. Maybe they'll end up going with Barnes at PF in the big games like they did in the playoffs last year. Get another shooter on the floor and a more athletic lineup overall.

C

Cold

I actually lost a little bit of respect for the Warriors after this one. Stephen Curry is amazing, but they look beatable otherwise right now which doesn't bode well for their championship aspirations.
warriors are 8-2 winning by an average of 14 pts a game when their starters all played. they have also played 11 road games against 7 home games. u know iggy and ezeli are coming back right? as well as their backup pg toney douglas.

K

KingMilz

It's funny because it looks like such a weak move. Barely any extension on it, no shake or anything like that, but it works so darn well because Cousins has such a wide body that prevents the defender from blocking it.
His touch on it is unreal I really wish he would use it more, if his shot is not falling or if he's struggling to drive by (he was not 2night) it's just so lethal and simple. Dude is developing unstoppable moves that and the bank shot if he keeps improving them will just make him to much for anyone.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
warriors are 8-2 winning by an average of 14 pts a game when their starters all played. they have also played 11 road games against 7 home games. u know iggy and ezeli are coming back right? as well as their backup pg toney douglas.
True as that may be, they also don't like any likelier to beat the Spurs in the playoffs than they did last year. So, they might want to hope they avoid that particular matchup.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Little misleading there. Malone didn't take DMC out because he - DMC - was upset. He took him out so that the Warriors wouldn't be able to force DMC into his 6th foul. It was a smart move, especially since doing it forced GS into focusing on someone else.
I didn't hear Malone say that. It seemed to me he wanted him composed instead of in a tiff.

If Malone just took him out because of the prospect of a 6th foul, I disagree with him for doing that. Just like I disagreed when he took Williams out with two fouls in the 1st quarter. I'd rather make the ref make the call rather than the coach preempt the ref.

hrdboild

Staff member
Check the white text, fellas; I already posted the answer.
Yeah, I never think to check for hidden text shenanigans. :) It's got to be Washington though right? That's the only one I remember in my lifetime. It's funny that they're probably going to have to change their NFL team name soon as well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't hear Malone say that. It seemed to me he wanted him composed instead of in a tiff.

If Malone just took him out because of the prospect of a 6th foul, I disagree with him for doing that. Just like I disagreed when he took Williams out with two fouls in the 1st quarter. I'd rather make the ref make the call rather than the coach preempt the ref.
That part I agree with. I may have misunderstood your initial post. I thought you were indicating Malone was punishing DMC. My bad...

C

Cold

True as that may be, they also don't like any likelier to beat the Spurs in the playoffs than they did last year. So, they might want to hope they avoid that particular matchup.
the team that gives us problems is memphis. we lost to spurs by 2 in san antonio couple weeks ago without curry jermaine oneal and toney douglas. many people say if curry and bogut didn't require steroid injections in their ankles before and during games 4 5 and 6 the warriors wud have won that series. also dont forget that sweet game winning 3 by manu in game 1. it was a pretty evenly played series and the warriors were hobbling. lee was also out although im not sure if he wud help or hurt the team. i lean toward the latter.

hrdboild

Staff member
the team that gives us problems is memphis. we lost to spurs by 2 in san antonio couple weeks ago without curry jermaine oneal and toney douglas. many people say if curry and bogut didn't require steroid injections in their ankles before and during games 4 5 and 6 the warriors wud have won that series. also dont forget that sweet game winning 3 by manu in game 1. it was a pretty evenly played series and the warriors were hobbling. lee was also out although im not sure if he wud help or hurt the team. i lean toward the latter.
Wait a second, sounds like we've got ourselves an infiltrator. :D

bogut is overmatched? man. hes leading the nba in points per play allowed in the paint.
You're right, how silly of me. Bogut obviously wanted Cousins to score all those points tonight. All part of the master plan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wait a second, sounds like we've got ourselves an infiltrator. :D

You're right, how silly of me. Bogut obviously wanted Cousins to score all those points tonight. All part of the master plan.
No infiltrating about it. He's a Warriors fan who wants to claim the Kings as his second team... except when they're playing the Warriors, of course.

hrdboild

Staff member
No infiltrating about it. He's a Warriors fan who wants to claim the Kings as his second team... except when they're playing the Warriors, of course.
Which is fine with me. The more the merrier. Hopefully we'll be the young upstart playoff team in a couple years and a lot of those Warrior fans will be jumping ship to root for the best basketball team in Northern California. :)

Actually, tell a lie, make that the best basketball team in all of California.

C

Cold

the kings will be a good team soon. mclemore is a klay clone down to his stroke. draft a parker wigggins or randle and playoffs next year.