Mbah a Moute-Williams trade? (merged)

I don't like it. We finally had someone who filled a need (elite defender) and at the SF spot no less. We also had someone who knew his role and didn't play outside of it. We had someone the front office was gushing over just months ago. Now he is insta gone after just 13 games with the team? This just doesn't feel like the right move. I also can't imagine Malone being for this trade but who knows. I guess time will tell if this was indeed the right move.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Another reason could be that luc islooks like its setting up to have $30+ million free in the summer before the new arena opens.

K

KingMilz

I seen him earlier this year contain Kevin Durrant the guy has more than enough tools to be a starting SF, he's going to be a capable two way player I love Prince Luke but you have to go with potential in our case. He just needs playing time and this makes Patterson expandable now since we got a starting 3 as well as a stretch 4 in one player.

We need more fire power to help Cousins, we don't have a team that can defend anyway and it's going to be a while till we do, more help for Cousins and IT at this point in time.

As I've mentioned before I still believe that Williams can succeed in the NBA if the FO dedicate him at the SF position. He's big enough to play at PF but that's not his game and if the idea is to play him considerable minutes at PF I don't think it will work out. But if you play him at the SF position and only spot minutes at PF then it could work.
I really like what Luc brings to the table but if you can trade him for Derrick Williams with the idea that you'll be cementing the SF position with a young athletic player who can grow along-side DMC and Ben then I'm all for it. I would have rather traded Hayes over Luc, but I'll take this trade and roll with Williams provided that they intend him to be our future starting SF.

I seen him earlier this year contain Kevin Durrant the guy has more than enough tools to be a starting SF, he's going to be a capable two way player I love Prince Luke but you have to go with potential in our case.
Based on what? In 3 seasons he's never been more than a guy that uses athleticism to score and get boards. He's been an average or worse defender, shooter, ball handler and passer and had had his effort/attitude questioned at times.

I don't really like Williams at all and I think Moute was a great start to changing the culture and being a good defensive roleplayer. That said, they weren't winning anything this year, it might help the tank, and Williams could put up some #'s.

As I've mentioned before I still believe that Williams can succeed in the NBA if the FO dedicate him at the SF position. He's big enough to play at PF but that's not his game and if the idea is to play him considerable minutes at PF I don't think it will work out. But if you play him at the SF position and only spot minutes at PF then it could work.
I really like what Luc brings to the table but if you can trade him for Derrick Williams with the idea that you'll be cementing the SF position with a young athletic player who can grow along-side DMC and Ben then I'm all for it. I would have rather traded Hayes over Luc, but I'll take this trade and roll with Williams provided that they intend him to be our future starting SF.

We'll see but so far in his career the only real promise he had shown was when Love was out and he got to play the PF spot. Even so he was a 15 and 8 type of player.

We'll see but so far in his career the only real promise he had shown was when Love was out and he got to play the PF spot. Even so he was a 15 and 8 type of player.
This. The only time he's shown something in his career was at pf with no other scoring options and even then he didn't look like anything special.

I liked him in college but some guy's games (especially tweeners) just don't translate to the next level.

We got better potential in this deal. But we lost an important piece of changing the culture.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Remember though this trade is not about getting rid of Mbah A Moute, it's about acquiring Williams. I'm sure our front office is very pleased with the way he's performing. He's a great individual defender and we need those kinds of players. But that doesn't mean this is a bad deal when you look at the talent on each end. It's not a sure thing, but that's why trades happen. If Williams were a superstar already, Minnesota wouldn't be trading him. What we're trying to do here is take advantage of their lack of patience.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can complain about this, but of course everyone's entitled to their opinion. There's no risk here. Its not like we're the team that drafted him @ 2, and pinned our hopes on the guy being the next Peja/Webber hybrid

dude12

Hall of Famer
When you suck this bad at a position(SF) you take the shot the kid can blossom. It's a low risk move for us. Hope the kid puts it together and lives up to his potential. I think the kid is going to a coaching staff that seems to know how to develop young players.....we all know that Addleman doesnt quite do that part very well

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Honestly, I don't see how anyone can complain about this, but of course everyone's entitled to their opinion. There's no risk here. Its not like we're the team that drafted him @ 2, and pinned our hopes on the guy being the next Peja/Webber hybrid
I'm not complaining per se as much as I'm bemoaning the fact that one of the good guys has to leave and we still have to watch Thornton, Salmons and Hayes...

But I'm sure this will work. At least it's a move that makes sense from the big picture viewpoint, something I've been espousing all along. I guess I cannot have it both ways. :p

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not complaining per se as much as I'm bemoaning the fact that one of the good guys has to leave and we still have to watch Thornton, Salmons and Hayes...

But I'm sure this will work. At least it's a move that makes sense from the big picture viewpoint, something I've been espousing all along. I guess I cannot have it both ways. :p
I just don't think there is any possible deal out there for us to trade MT or Hayes without having to take back more salary or a longer unwanted contract. I think we are stuck with those dudes.

True. Good point

It's actually rather easy to complain about it. In our search for a starting sf, we traded the best sf we've had in years and the only good defender on the team for a guy that hasn't played well at sf his 3 year nba career and who doesn't excel at outside shooting, passing or defense, the very things we need most from our sf. At least Luc provided the defense and didn't take bad shots. It also cost us more money.

The only upside here is that he may still have upside. But it hasn't shown up much in 3 years.