[Game] Kings v. Blazers 11/08/13 Game Thread

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
JT nor his contract are an issue.

The issue is the roughly 15.5M tied up in the PP/Landry/Chuck trio who aren't the type of PF's you'd want next to a guy like Cuz and don't help us on the defensive end, aside from Chuck in a few situational circumstances. JT is really the only big we have outside of Cuz who can be counted on as being at least an average defensive presence most nights.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's what I'm saying: Thompson isn't great. Hell, on some nights, he's just about adequate. But, he's also just about the least offensive, least problematic player on the whole team. If I had to make a list of current Kings who "had" to go tomorrow, he wouldn't even make the Top Ten.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Honestly I feel JT's contract is the one which needs to be moved with the most urgency.
Because we need to get rid of one of the few guys who will at least contribute on any given night?

If we're trying to unload contracts with urgency, wouldn't Chuck Hayes logically be the guy we try to dump first?

But not because we wanted it.

And I'm sorry to disagree, but there were those who did actively root to lose. That's what the incredibly stupid "lin" (loss that's really a win in the long run) and "woss" (win that's actually a loss in the long run) was all about.
I'm talking about the players. Frankly, who cares what some fan at home wants to happen?
D'Alessandro was pretty clear that he thought that, by bringing in Landry, he would add leadership and low-post scoring. He was also clear that he was bringing Mbah a Moute in to add leadership and defense. You don't make moves like that if you're tanking. And, as I said, you're no-selling the fact that he tried to get Iguodala, he tried to get a legit big man, he tried to move our glut of talentless swingmen. Just because he failed on all counts does not mean he set the team up to tank.
I'm not grading on effort here. Is that how low kings fans have sunk? I guess after Petrie and the maloofs, attempting not to suck is good enough?

PDA made the team worse in the long term by signing a 30 year old Landry. He traded for damaged goods in MAM. That lock down defender talk? Maybe before the knee injury. Now he can't even get on the court. And at what point in his career was he a leader? Honestly, at this point, I don't even know what the guy looks like. If anyone is expecting his body to stop failing him, including the FO, it's just a little concerning. It reeks of trading for a washed up salmons.

Sorry, I feel like lashing out at something, anything about the state of this team. It's not the fans fault. We as fans are at the point where we are arguing whether we are terrible on purpose, or because of incompetence. That's an ugly argument.

Last edited:
mamma said there'll be seasons like this. Don't worry yourselves to much this new regime needs time to rebuild the rubble left behind by you know who. On a side note MT probably officially lost his starting gig tonight.
Thornton was dreadful, but who did he lose the job to? The rookie with 4 fouls in 8 minutes, or the guy who definitely completely won't be on the team next year?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not grading on effort here. Is that how low kings fans have sunk?
It doesn't matter what you, personally, are "grading" him on. The question is, did D'Alessandro's offseason actions meet with the standards of tanking? And the answer is no. He didn't make us better, true, but botched moves =/= tanking.

It doesn't matter what you, personally, are "grading" him on. The question is, did D'Alessandro's offseason actions meet with the standards of tanking? And the answer is no. He didn't make us better, true, but botched moves =/= tanking.
We had two glaring needs. Sf and a defensive big. Neither were addressed. One thing we absolutely could not do? Acquire expensive mediocre talent. We sign landry.

So you're going with incompetent, not tanking? Tanking actually makes me feel a lot better about what is happening.

Either way, I'm on to football. Can't do this anymore. This fan base has suffered enough. It's nice the kings stayed, and I realize there is little to work with, but at least the first week of the season I would have thought the players wouldn't have already tuned Malone out. Even Smart teams played defense the first few games before devolving into street ball.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JT nor his contract are an issue.

The issue is the roughly 15.5M tied up in the PP/Landry/Chuck trio who aren't the type of PF's you'd want next to a guy like Cuz and don't help us on the defensive end, aside from Chuck in a few situational circumstances. JT is really the only big we have outside of Cuz who can be counted on as being at least an average defensive presence most nights.
Add in the $15.6M tied up with Thornton and Salmons and you really begin to realize just how herculean a task PDA has in front of him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We had two glaring needs. Sf and a defensive big. Neither were addressed.
Mbah a Moute. Made a bid for Iguodala; the fact that we didn't get him is obviously a net negative, but it's the opposite of tanking.

So you're going with incompetent, not tanking?
Yup!

Either way, I'm on to football. Can't do this anymore. This fan base has suffered enough. It's nice the kings stayed, and I realize there is little to work with, but at least the first week of the season I would have thought the players wouldn't have already tuned Malone out. Even Smart teams played defense the first few games before devolving into street ball.
... Something about a door, and the way out...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This debate about the definition of tanking was scintillating but let's open our eyes to what has happened no matter what label we put on it. PDA may have had all the good intentions in the world but he drew a blank. If a person didn't know that ownership had changed and there was almost a clean sweep of the FO, this team would look like a production of the Maloof/Petrie era. We haven't improved although that is merely my opinion. I am very disappointed.

Now I don't believe for a minute that the Kings will remain as mediocre because Ranadive will not tolerate it and has the bankroll to back it up. I have faith that McLemore will improve but then he is just an exchange for Tyreke so I am not sure it is a sum gain. I think the day will come very quickly when FAs will look at this team favorably. Better put, their agents will look upon this team favorably. The agents will quickly learn that Ranadive is not a Maloof. That is good for the future but this hastily put together leadership group was in no position to put together a good team. They haven't and anyone who gets defensive about that should take a close look at this team on the court. I don't fault anyone for losing interest as I am losing interest. Does this define me as a bad fan?

Now if I get the "something about a door and the way out" response, I will also be bothered by the leadership of this forum. We come here to discuss the Kings because we love the Kings. We don't come here to be treated with disdain. To clarify, I personally would not react poorly if Mr. Citrus treated me that way as I shrug off some of his hostility but a newbie to this forum probably would react much differently. Welcome to KF.com and now go **** yourself if you disagree with a mod.

Last edited:
I feel Renadive and PDA's plan involved waiting until this coming off-season before making major moves.

I think a lot of fans remember when the Maloofs took over and the drastic change that happened back then. There was a major trade, a new coach, and a playoff birth. Fans are looking for that sort of change, but there's a big difference here. Petrie had set the Kings up to be overhauled that off-season. All the contracts were ending, and the big one that wasn't ending was traded for a major piece. Flexibility like that won't start to happen for the Kings until next off-season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...Now if I get the "something about a door and the way out" response, I will also be bothered by the leadership of this forum. We come here to discuss the Kings because we love the Kings. We don't come here to be treated with disdain. To clarify, I personally would not react poorly if Mr. Citrus treated me that way as I shrug off some of his hostility but a newbie to this forum probably would react much differently. Welcome to KF.com and now go **** yourself if you disagree with a mod.
That's not fair. The response you're referring to was to someone who says they're washing their hands of the Kings and moving on to football.

The leadership of this forum, as you call us, works very hard to keep this a place where people can come and talk hoops. We're also human. If someone says they no longer believe in our team, then good riddance to them...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
In case I may have left a misperception, I absolutely support the mods. All of them contribute in ways that make this forum very, very good. They add a mood and pure outright knowledge that is refreshing. I have learned a lot from some of them. They all come from a unique perspective which adds spice to their guidance. They are active. I wouldn't still be posting if all of this wasn't true. They aren't perfect and that's OK. Nobody is perfect. (Spike and Tetsujin may be)

I have written to VF21 about what I said and I hope have helped smooth that over. I do not worry about Slim based on about a 13 year relationship but if he was offended, I certainly didn't mean it to be THAT offensive. If he wants a "conversation," I'll converse. Certainly I was a little offensive but there is nothing in my many year's relationship with Slim to make me think he would take it badly.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Offended? Hell, no! I'm more offended by the notion that there might be someone in the world who hates Jason Thompson because he throws his hands in the air, and waves them like he just don't care.

Mbah a Moute. Made a bid for Iguodala; the fact that we didn't get him is obviously a net negative, but it's the opposite of tanking.

Yup!

... Something about a door, and the way out...
Wow. This board is classy.
Amazing how a perfectly good game thread has turned into another discussion of tanking. Couldn't we all just agree to limit that discussion to the thread already in existence?
No.

This debate about the definition of tanking was scintillating but let's open our eyes to what has happened no matter what label we put on it. PDA may have had all the good intentions in the world but he drew a blank. If a person didn't know that ownership had changed and there was almost a clean sweep of the FO, this team would look like a production of the Maloof/Petrie era. We haven't improved although that is merely my opinion. I am very disappointed.

Now I don't believe for a minute that the Kings will remain as mediocre because Ranadive will not tolerate it and has the bankroll to back it up. I have faith that McLemore will improve but then he is just an exchange for Tyreke so I am not sure it is a sum gain. I think the day will come very quickly when FAs will look at this team favorably. Better put, their agents will look upon this team favorably. The agents will quickly learn that Ranadive is not a Maloof. That is good for the future but this hastily put together leadership group was in no position to put together a good team. They haven't and anyone who gets defensive about that should take a close look at this team on the court. I don't fault anyone for losing interest as I am losing interest. Does this define me as a bad fan?

Now if I get the "something about a door and the way out" response, I will also be bothered by the leadership of this forum. We come here to discuss the Kings because we love the Kings. We don't come here to be treated with disdain. To clarify, I personally would not react poorly if Mr. Citrus treated me that way as I shrug off some of his hostility but a newbie to this forum probably would react much differently. Welcome to KF.com and now go **** yourself if you disagree with a mod.
Oh, slim is an almighty mod. Well excuse the **** out of me. I guess I should know my place.

That's not fair. The response you're referring to was to someone who says they're washing their hands of the Kings and moving on to football.

The leadership of this forum, as you call us, works very hard to keep this a place where people can come and talk hoops. We're also human. If someone says they no longer believe in our team, then good riddance to them...
Work harder, cause you guys come off as an elite club that won't tolerate different opinions and want total control about the content of this board. You take yourselves and this board far too seriously.

It's just basketball, and bad basketball at that.

Man I pissed maybe you guys knew already but I listened to the podcast on cowbell and they explains why we didn't take lillard. They said going into draft night we were dead set on lillard but that night Petrie didn't know if maligns would give us the money to resign thompson. We were scared to go into the season without a PF so we to robonson over lillard.

That's amazing to me lillard and cousins would have been deadly. **** the maloofs

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Work harder, cause you guys come off as an elite club that won't tolerate different opinions and want total control about the content of this board. You take yourselves and this board far too seriously.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh, slim is an almighty mod. Well excuse the **** out of me. I guess I should know my place.
Man I pissed maybe you guys knew already but I listened to the podcast on cowbell and they explains why we didn't take lillard. They said going into draft night we were dead set on lillard but that night Petrie didn't know if maligns would give us the money to resign thompson. We were scared to go into the season without a PF so we to robonson over lillard.

That's amazing to me lillard and cousins would have been deadly. **** the maloofs
Hey, that was still no excuse for taking Robinson over Drummond if you were going to go big.

Unreal. What a disaster. I'll keep reminding myself that it's "ok" though, because we still have our team. Also, I have a feeling that within a few years Vivek will have all of us thrilled with every aspect of the Kings.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Ok, you need to chill Chubbs. I may have missed something and may have to go review posts, but generally speaking I haven't noticed any real problem with you during your time here, so I don't see the point in there suddenly being one. So whatever burr is your saddle here, just go work it out. Hopefully someplace away from a keyboard. I was fundamentally unamused by our offseason myself and would probably be amusing myself with Itoldyasos if I weren't such a humble and self effacing chap. But it is what it is and we've got the team we've got. I am mostly watching for Cousins and Malone, which is enough for now. Doesn't mean I have elevated PDA above 2nd rate gerbil GM by proxy. Just an acknowledgement that pending further moves there is nothing to do about it.

Ok, you need to chill Chubbs. I may have missed something and may have to go review posts, but generally speaking I haven't noticed any real problem with you during your time here, so I don't see the point in there suddenly being one. So whatever burr is your saddle here, just go work it out. Hopefully someplace away from a keyboard. I was fundamentally unamused by our offseason myself and would probably be amusing myself with Itoldyasos if I weren't such a humble and self effacing chap. But it is what it is and we've got the team we've got. I am mostly watching for Cousins and Malone, which is enough for now. Doesn't mean I have elevated PDA above 2nd rate gerbil GM by proxy. Just an acknowledgement that pending further moves there is nothing to do about it.
I agree with all of that. The first and second parts.

I was venting. All sound and fury signifying nothing.

I don't buy the tanking nonsense. Other than Lillard the blazers made a very high percentage of shots over those two games. We also got absolutely CRUSHED on the boards. I mean, the rebounding has been some of the worst I've ever seen. Lastly, we just aren't making our open shots. If they continue playing games with that combination of things going wrong the kings won't win another game.

I'm actually pretty happy with the way the team is playing. You can clearly see an outline of what the coaching staff is trying to do. Once the team starts rebounding better and we start making more open shots we'll look a lot better. The most immediate need is rebounding and interior defense.