Your favourite non Kings players

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
while we are on the topic of favorite players, let's name our favorite all time players and what player made you decide to start watching the NBA?

while we are on the topic of favorite players, let's name our favorite all time players and what player made you decide to start watching the NBA?
I was a fan of basketball, but I liked playing alot more than watching until the 98-99(99-00?) kings. They got me interested in the game and watching basketball. Not sure I have a favorite all time player. I think I like teams and systems better. The Peirce lead celtics, current heat and nuggets, those Detroit teams in 04 05? And of course the Webber/Vlade kings.

Jason Williams & Djalminha!

I was a less than 10 years old kid from Spain when I played the first time a NBA Live game around 1998-2000. I din't know anything about basketball and the NBA and didn't know which team wanted to select to play with. My older cousin told me that I should select the Sacramento Kings because Djalminha, a super creative brazilian soccer player who played back in that times in my favourite team, Deportivo de La Coruña, and who was my childhood idol, was at the same time a Jason Williams fan and he had recognized in a interview that he tryed to translate to soccer some skills that J-Will do with the Kings.

Both were truly awesome and shared that special geniuses madness.

If you are interested:

Djalminha highlights video

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I was a fan of basketball, but I liked playing alot more than watching until the 98-99(99-00?) kings. They got me interested in the game and watching basketball. Not sure I have a favorite all time player. I think I like teams and systems better. The Peirce lead celtics, current heat and nuggets, those Detroit teams in 04 05? And of course the Webber/Vlade kings.
yeah Pierce and Antoine Walker were a fun duo to watch, Pierce was one crafty scorer and with a set shot and all

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Jason Williams & Djalminha!

I was a less than 10 years old kid from Spain when I played the first time a NBA Live game around 1998-2000. I din't know anything about basketball and the NBA and didn't know which team wanted to select to play with. My older cousin told me that I should select the Sacramento Kings because Djalminha, a super creative brazilian soccer player who played back in that times in my favourite team, Deportivo de La Coruña, and who was my childhood idol, was at the same time a Jason Williams fan and he had recognized in a interview that he tryed to translate to soccer some skills that J-Will do with the Kings.

Both were truly awesome and shared that special geniuses madness.

If you are interested:

Djalminha highlights video
watching Jason Williams made non-Kings fans want to watch him, he had those street ball skills, is the NBA popular in Spain?

watching Jason Williams made non-Kings fans want to watch him, he had those street ball skills, is the NBA popular in Spain?
Yes it is. By those years not so much as now. But when Paul Gasol and his generation of spanish players arrived to the NBA to play important roles made that nowadays the NBA might be the 2nd most followed league after LaLiga and at the same level of F1 (Fernando Alonso) and tennis (Rafa Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yes it is. By those years not so much as now. But when Paul Gasol and his generation of spanish players arrived to the NBA to play important roles made that nowadays the NBA might be the 2nd most followed league after LaLiga and at the same level of F1 (Fernando Alonso) and tennis (Rafa Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz).
are there any new generation of Spanish players that have the potential to be in the NBA playing in either the Spanish league or other Euro leagues?

are there any new generation of Spanish players that have the potential to be in the NBA playing in either the Spanish league or other Euro leagues?
Spain has just won the U-19 World Cup against France yesterday. I don't follow the spanish basketball as much as the NBA but there are some players that are said to be good prospects and everyone expects they will be in the NBA soon: Izan Almansa (Ignite), Aday Mara (UCLA), Baba Miller (Florida State), Hugo González (Real Madrid)...

Tyrese. Absolutely love the kid. About as easy to root for as it gets.

Giannis. Phenomenal talent, seems like a great guy. And I LOVE the fact that he and the Bucks put all these "Super Friends" teams to shame.

Richaun Holmes. Because he played his a$$ off in Sac and waaaay more than outplayed his contract - when given the chance.

Kyle Kuzma. Cuz... JUST KIDDING! :p

De'Aaron Fox is my all-time favorite player(I'm a lefty PG tho so i'm biased), his game has the most appeal to me, always thought the way he plays the game looks like the most fun, like if i was gonna emulate my game around anyones, it'd be his but imnot that fast n cant jump that high (though i used to dunk regularly, even from the baseline, but thats like an absolute max effort thing (I'd need to legit go sprinting up sand dunes for months to prepare) for me n almost a little dangerous tbh missing a dunk isnt just a confidence bruiser, its actually pretty easy to get hurt when missing dunks far as im concerned, which is why i marvel at how Fox makes it look too easy).. I started watching the NBA at a very young age, n was always hooked, I also used to just go outside and legit shoot around for the entire day, n then do it again the next --- neighbors worst nightmare type thing cuz im also practicing my dribbling drills slamming the ball hard amking tons of noise. When I think about my entry to being a bassketball lifer, I'm quite sure it was actually jsut shooting around on my own hoop... Thats how i got a lot better at the game tbh so it was always like a sanctuary to go out there n shoot around, ya know when you think of when your young and carefree, when i picture that, i see young me out there just shooting around, trying to improve.

But most certainly it wasnt a player that made me start watching the NBA, i'd imagine like a lot of young kids they might have saw their parents or grandparents watching the local teams, that was my entry-point, I remember watching the games with my grandpa from a very young age, prime Marv Albert calling the games..

If this doesnt get you super hyped idk what else would.. I feel like I could run straight thru a damn wall n not even slow down when I listen to this..

Ok but as for non-kings players, n no one around heres gonna like this answer, but my favorite player is hands-down Chris Paul one of the last true great pure floor generals in this ever increasing world of combo guard dominance. I was always a massive fan of even back in highschool because of the story of him and his grandfather, who died at 61 years old, so CP3 went n dropped 61 points the next game in his honor --- n there's plenty of footage from that game on youtube.. specacular unforgettable environment, up there with the glorious 176-175 victory over the clippers last season one of the best games i ever saw. most people lack that context, they blame CP3 for trying to do all the little things to win, when hey far as I'm concerned I want people trying their damn hardest..There's a train of thought that comes from coaches who say "If you aint cheating, you aint trying" ---- this type of logic flys over the head of so many fans, so I dont blame him for trying, thats literally what your supposed to do. I mean he actually has a shot at breaking Stockton's all time assist record all his haters from decades past woulda laughed so hard if u even suggest stocktons record was breakable, letalone CP3 was the guy to do it.. He just passed MJ for 3rd all time in steals. N he's a damn meatball these days (can still dunk) so his game should age pretty well its not reliant on explosion.

Its funny its like these same fans who complain about the refs being bad, also complain about CP3 trying to bait cheap fouls -- dont you understand? Chris paul agrees with you the refs are so bad they should be consntantly put to the test, because more often than not its gonna end in his favor.. so it just becomes one of those conversations where people wanna change the goalposts, n not really have a discussion within a realistic framework. It's like you could never explain his rationale, but u sit in judgement of it, super flawed logic, if you attempted to explain his rationale it'd only reveal your naievety on the subject, n fans know that, so instead they prefer personal insults.. its insidious behavior.

I own a Chris Paul Wake Forest jersey. Favorite jersey i ever bought, had the shorts too but i pretty much only wore thos en not the jersey so they got worn out.. Dont think I root for his teams every game tho. I'm like a "if you play really good you deserve to win, n if you play bad you deserve to lose" guy, I dont really take that much of a vested interest either way, cuz for me theres literally like 7 players-minimum on every NBA team who im rooting for..

N honestly never in a million years could u convince me that Kobe deserved that MVP over CP3... Kobe literally got the lifetime achievement award MVP that year when CP3 was FAR MORE VALUABLE (they had no team at all without CP3, the Lakers had Pau Gasol n were LOADED with talent.. If VALUABLE, which is the word they use on the award, if VALUABLE, is the operative word (and look at these baseball writers HOF votes, they dont give a damn about what the word valuable means, has nothing to do with their assesments) u could never convince me that lakers team wasnt still relaly good without kobe. without CP3 that New Orleans team was flat out awful. If CP3 is the guy playing in LA and Kobe is the guy in New Orleans, CP3 probably wins that award in a slaughter.

But ya know fans like watch the games n the media n stuff like that... Look at how many players do the Chris Paul in-and-out dribble these days, his influence is quite apparent ---- Do you see how Fox has become magnificent with 2-for-1 and late clock situations, CP3 was always the best at that stuff, so I'm glad to see it rubbing off on other PG's, the floor general is a dying breed, now we just had 2 insane ones here with De'Aaron and Hali, but that is really n truly about as big of an outlier as it gets... as the years pass the players keep getting taller and taller who use the In-and-out. Thats why hes my favorite player, cuz I'm a point guard n was always looking for moves to steal from the pros, n CP3 has a limitless bag of tricks, he can do everything.

He led the league in steals as a rookie... didnt he have a streak of like 90 games in a row with a steal or something?

So many morons thought Deron Williams was better than CP3... n here we are still discussing CP3. I kinda laugh at the bitterness towards CP3 these days, reminds me alot of the biterness the Deron Williams is way better than CP3 crowd used to wield, n no ones heard from that crowd in a decade.

You gotta understand something too. I'm like De'aaron as in, I like to drive left, so to be able to use that cp3 in and out to clear some room (u can bet your ass de'aaron does it) n actually get a good fake in like ur going right when the plan is left for the 100x time in a row, its such a magnificent solution, its totally like a "gotem" type of thing too, they move their foot backward to the right even an inch and u leave them in the dust going left.. Its like one of those things u almost gotta feel n try.. They call me Ginobili at my local runs, u cant let me get a step on you left, its 2 points, this is exactly why. N ya know in pickup games ppl dont realize ur a lefty til u absolutely blow past them like that n then they switch it up, but often you legit get 1 free basket at the start of the game for being a lefty if u use the move right, dribble the ball with your rigght hand then cross it to your left and then in and out to the left, they might play you as a righty from just walking up casually with the ball in ur right.. When I play I try to see how many plays at the start of the game I can hide my master plan of driving left every single time, cuz if I literally bring out like my best version of the move, everyones gonna know right away im a lefty.

N i mean hey ask Fred Vlan Vleet what going to the CP3 point guard camp did for him.. CP3 is not some bad guy in the basketball community.. That camp of his is nothing short of AMAZING.. Its a GREAT HONOR to be invited to that camp.. Ya know its for point guards only... How cool is that? N he takes the best PG's from highschool and college which is when Van Vleet was there...

I legit always believed in Fred Van Vleet because he won that 1v1 tourney they have at the end of the cp3 camp, might sound like trash logic but FVV talent was totally marginalized goin into that, he didnt even get selected... that was honestly my assesment, maybe he could stick, n look at how far he's gone since kinda crazy, but honestly I think to myself --- This guy learned from Chris Paul, n then he got to the raptors and had friggin ultimate competitor Kyle Lowry to learn from as well, then im not as surprised about his success. But thats how I veiw CP3, as someone whos giving back a ton to the community not the player fans are so bitter at n point blank --- I feel lots of these fans would love to see CP3 get injured, thats how bitter they are at him, its not that serious, but thats like boxing fans who are there to see blood spill instead of the finer nuances of the craft, whichj i get is how it is for some, but that damn sure aint how it is for me.

Last edited:
Favorite player from outside the NBA will always be the AND1 Legend --- Hot Sauce.. I used to sit around practicing those moves for hours and days and weeks...I honestly could do the spinning pass to yourself off the backboard that he'd do which is like, far as im concenred, a total showstopper of the highest order.. Its actually like a 200iq basketball play if you can pull it off but if u mess it up u deserve to be benched forever. Thats why I get absolutely furious watching these guys carry the ball in college n the nba n get away with it.. I wish i got to carry the ball like that when I played, cuz if your allowed to carry the ball like that, there really are now a whole lot of moves that were impossible before that you can now pull of.f..

If you saw me in IRL, I'm obviously in good shape for a dude in his 30's but never in your wildest dreams would you think i can dribble the way i do..

I do the Mike Conley dribbling drills, had the JJ reddick 3pt shooting video (which works btw something he tells you to do with your eyes particularly helped me) all that stuff, still even now, especially during the summer n during the playoffs.. I dont like lifting weights that stuff is a million times better workout for me, n honestly it made my dexterity go thru the roof..

I can do the God Shamgod, ill go outside n practice it right now actually.. Practiced that a million bazillion times, Kyrie's the best at it.. the people who completely dismiss the and1 tour style streetball stuff often dont realize that there is some stuff that can be used in the pros, it shows up. God Shamgod made the NBA. Rafer "Skip to my Lou" Alston was the 39th pick, he played in the NBA in 3 seperate decades.

Last edited:
Oh and the reason why I wake up early in the morning and go sprint up sand dunes at the beach is because of blake griffin.. His trainer used to swear by that as the best exercise, n this was when Blake was insanely explosive and on his way to being the #1 pick.. N it is the best excercise, you just move so much more forcefully on flat ground after training like that on a steep incline sand hill, words cant do it justice, u get simply unbelievable results you feel like peter parker after he gets bit by the spider..

BIGTIME DISCLAIMER (DO NOT GO AND TRY THAT) u literally need to be very careful tho n know ur limits n bring tons of water, its very dangerous, some of these weak teenagers with their weak litttle vape pen coughs i fear would overheat doing this type of stuff, its honestly even dangerous for like semi-active people you better be already training pretty hard n then work up to that (or u better play a lot of fullcourt basketball which is easily enough to prime you, but most ppl dont)

n just 2 more quick hit, I used to sit there n practice the Carmelo Anthony Jab step ad-naseum too.. so for me, I'd have to have tried to steal your moves for you to be one of my favorites... I was never really a Carmelo fan tbh, but that jab step of his, i was a fan of that, that looked damn good if you asked me.

Dirk is the reason I shoot the ball way over my head too, ever since I started trying to shoot like dirk I had way more times where i'd make 20 3's in a row(and like 10x even more times where id make 15 in a row) .. So i never looked back, and plus moving my release higher coincided with my accuracy on halfcourt heaves going way up... When I show up to a pickup game I always take a halfcourt shot first n im pretty accurate.. Ya know how they say judge a darts player on their misses instead of their makes (as in if their misses are all really close its an indicator of skill, and if they make a few but the misses are far off its more an idicatior they mightve gotten lucky on the makes).. My misses are super accurate from halfcourt, i pretty much always hit the rim. I think it was actually shooting around outside to train me to hit rim like that, airballing meant the ball was gonna go far n ud have to chase it, type deal. I'm always jealous when i see these players having ppl rebound for them..

n really im good at a whole lot of stuff.. im a man of many talents, but basketball set that foundation for me, to start grabbing skills. There's an old famous book "Steal like an artist" I kinda think a sick book idea would be "Steal like a basketball player" n have all the best players signature moves explained... Maybe I shouldnt have said that hahaha thats such a good idea someone should take it tbh..

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ozy, I respect all your insights and reasoning behind why you train and play the way you do. So tell me one thing, did you play college hoops? High school?

I like Bol Bol a lot. The guy needs to get to a team that is willing to unleash him. He is too skilled and too much of a physical anomaly to not have a good career. His problem is he has to convince someone that he is a high usage scorer.