Williams sisters are back!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I never used to be a fan of Serena Williams but I am hereby announcing I have been converted! A good chance of Venus facing Serena in the finals AND I'm betting they'll be in the finals of the doubles.

Excellent tennis in Wimbledon - when the rain lets them play.

:D

On the side note, I think that it is time that Wimbledon people think about having some sort of cover for their courts or about moving the tournament for a different time in the year when weather is better. I know it's their tradition and all, but it is ridicilous that players matches are interrupted 4 or 5 times and take several days to complete. It ruins every flow or momentum that players may have and is stupid when players have to return to the court to play another 3 or 4 points and the match ends.

It's the summer, there should be good weather conditions but sometimes over here in Europe it rains during the periods when we should have good weather. Very frustrating, I should know. Especially now in England there is some major flooding in certain parts. :eek:

Or is there something I'm missing?

Well judging by the two very close matches that Venus played in the first three rounds, I really didn't see her getting this far.
The match between her and Ivanovic should be a really good one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Venus appears to be getting stronger as her tournament progresses. I think the main difference I see is she's a much more rounded player now, with a lot more tricks in her bag. Good, tough, competitive tennis...

Well now that Bartoli is in the finals instead of Henin, Venus is 99% the new champion and I should stick to my basketball expertise ;)

After today's matches, Venus is the last American standing. I can't believe Roddick let that match get away! Assuming there are no more upsets in the men's bracket, a final of Federer and Nadal should be very good! Hopefully they make it. I can't believe Henin lost today. I was looking forward to a final with Henin and Williams. Oh well, go Venus!

Watched Venus mow through the competition and would have to agree, she is the queen of Wimbledon. She is just too tough. What a game she has. Like em or not the Williams sister's have made their mark in the tennis world and through the lead of their madcap father and coach Richard. Go figure.

btw, can't imagine how Bertoli manhandled Henin but i am trying to find some of the replay on the tube.

Expect Venus to steamroll through her 7th match at Wimbledon. Is that on 7-7-7. Not sure.

As for the men sorry for Roddick but some days just don't work out for the best. I still got one of my horses in the match, that being Nadal. Sorry to see Baghdatis fall to Djokovic. Always been a Marcos Baghdatis fan and he nearly pulled off a miracle today.

Stay tuned. Doesn't look like anybody can beat Venus at Wimbledon, not at this point, and i don't think Nadal or Gasquet or Djokovic has a prayer against Federer.

Looking forward to every match at this point...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Justine lost??????

Whoa. I was really expecting to see her against Venus in the finals. According to my DishNet guide, we should be able to see it on ESPN2 tonight starting at 9:30 p.m. on "The Complete Wimbledon."

Justine lost??????

Whoa. I was really expecting to see her against Venus in the finals. According to my DishNet guide, we should be able to see it on ESPN2 tonight starting at 9:30 p.m. on "The Complete Wimbledon."
Yes, how in god's name did Bartoli run down Henin. Having not seen anything from that match and then watching today's final it doesn't seem feasible. Bartoli is a likeable player w/ some good ground strokes but the woman can't cover the court and is no match for the athletic prowess and agility of the Venus. My goodness, what a body on that girl. Long and lean, a perfect asset to compliment her incredible skills.

Touching post match remarks from both girls and to see the mutual father's embracing while Bartoli's dad wept w/ pride was all the more touching. One of the main reasons i follow this game. Enormous amount of heart right into the final moments.

Glad to have you all aboard for Grand Slam commentary. Having not heard anything yet about the men's semi's today i look forward to some more incredible tennis. Stay tuned.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I got up very early (for me) and then sat spellbound and watched arguably the best men's finals match I've ever seen. I look forward to many more Nadal-Federer matches in the future. And I still don't think we've seen the best Federer can bring to the court.