Why don't the kings utilize the pump fake more?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This could be a great weapon for them. Since everybody is such a great perimeter shooter, get your man in the air and drive to the basket or better yet draw some contact and get to the line.!!! The Kings get blocked a lot because they try to shoot or dunk under the basket after a pass. Driving plays would see less blocked shots. Webber does this move well and so does Miller but they don't do it often enough. Every team respects the shooting capabilities of this team so they would bite on it every time.

SacTownKid said:
This could be a great weapon for them. Since everybody is such a great perimeter shooter, get your man in the air and drive to the basket or better yet draw some contact and get to the line.!!! The Kings get blocked a lot because they try to shoot or dunk under the basket after a pass. Driving plays would see less blocked shots. Webber does this move well and so does Miller but they don't do it often enough. Every team respects the shooting capabilities of this team so they would bite on it every time.
With a few exceptions, the Kings do not really have the athleticism to drive to the basket much. Although a pump fake on an outside jumper could be good to free up from a defender running at you, it can also take you out of your rhythm. As good as the Kings are at shooting, why not just take the open shot? Then again ... the last 2 baskets scored tonight were on pump fakes, followed by jumper (although honestly Webber's was a prayer :) )

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
keflanag said:
As good as the Kings are at shooting, why not just take the open shot?
That's the main thing! Our problem never has been with scoring, per se, except during temporary lapses or slumps, etc. That part ain't broke... ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Certainly there's room for improvement. But I don't think talking good perimieter shooters into passing up good looks for pump fakes would be an improvement.

Last edited:
Although we shoot more jumpers than drives to the basket we also utilize a lot of backdoor cuts to the hoop with mostly timely passes but often get blocked anyway from the backside by more athletic defenders catching up. Therefore a good pumpfake with not only get you the basket but likely a foul shot as well. Peja comes to mind as our most blocked player in these instances but he is starting to use the pump fake from time to time. In the same vein, why do we shoot so many threes when we could do like Peja did against the Lakers (that just thrilled my heart), start from the three point line drive two or three steps and then pull up for a quick 15 footer...all net. With our big guys penchant for playing away from the basket they could be setting picks more often for this type of shot. DC is another who benefits greatly from shooting the mid range jumper. It's okay to hit doubles, you don't have to go for the homer all the time!

Rowdyone said:
Peja comes to mind as our most blocked player in these instances
I don't know about this ... I think Brad Miller leads the league in "shots being blocked". I wish they had that stat category.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Certainly there's room for improvement. But I don't think talking good perimieter shooters into passing up good looks for pump fakes would be an improvement.
Good looks are one thing but Webb shooting turn around jumpers while fading away is not a good look. They too often shoot the ball with a defender in their face.

Mike Bibby said after the Grizz game that he didn't think the ball was going to go in after he shot it because if he pump fakes, the ball never goes in.

::shrugs::

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
ReinadelosReys said:
Mike Bibby said after the Grizz game that he didn't think the ball was going to go in after he shot it because if he pump fakes, the ball never goes in.

::shrugs::
Thats why I think the more important thing is drawing contact and getting to the line. Pump faking to take a jumper is kind of a waste IMO, setting a screen would be better anyway. The Kings are shooting over 80% from the line as a team. Even the best teams wont average much more than 50% from the floor. I'll go with 80% over 50% anyday. Brad has been thinking more about drawing contact and I like that. Believe it or not Brad driving to the basket will pay dividends later in the season when the games are called much tighter. Plus he is an excellent free throw shooter.