Why are threads getting locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my only real complaint is the closing of threads leads to less discussion in general. If two posters are going at it in a thread, why not just delete their posts, tell them to knock it off and leave it open so more people can contribute to it? I just don't see the point in locking threads all the time or saying they're past their expiration date. If people are still posting in them, then they're still relevant to those people. You might not personally think it's relevant but there's a handful of posters that do.

There's really not much you guys can do these days when it comes to the board being negative. Most of us are realizing that the rebuild has failed and it's going to be X amount of years, X amount of wrinkles and X amount of new gray hairs that spring up before the Kings have a chance at being any good again. That just doesn't sit well with a group of people that have already waited 13 years since the last successful season. There's just going to be a lot of griping because there's really not much to be positive about. If the owner of the board doesn't want that type of discussion, then you gotta do what you gotta do, but there really isn't much for us to talk about other than that at the moment.

At least the people here spend 95% of their time discussing the game, whether they're being negative or not. I'll take that over people talking about each other and gif after gif being posted that adds nothing to the discussion.
This is exactly where I'm at. Less discussion is never good and when threads get locked this frequently I find myself trying to pick which thread I should be posting in. I like specific player threads because it's exciting talking about youngsters. I made the Marvin Bagley thread which was popular, and it got locked with a "no more specific player threads" message or something similar.

Now I find myself constantly digging through game threads and the Vlade thread for discussion about specific players. It's tedious and annoying and makes navigating the board a pain.

Now much of what you see is player thoughts (good or bad) being spewed throughout multiple threads, the Vlade thread in particular. It's not concise.

Last edited:
There's really not much you guys can do these days when it comes to the board being negative. Most of us are realizing that the rebuild has failed and it's going to be X amount of years, X amount of wrinkles and X amount of new gray hairs that spring up before the Kings have a chance at being any good again. That just doesn't sit well with a group of people that have already waited 13 years since the last successful season. There's just going to be a lot of griping because there's really not much to be positive about. If the owner of the board doesn't want that type of discussion, then you gotta do what you gotta do, but there really isn't much for us to talk about other than that at the moment.
To me this is exactly the thing. Its hard to keep up a positive message board about Kings when there isnt a lot of positive things happening. This franchise has been so bad from ownership to front office to coaching to players for so long that positivity is extremely difficult. And it still seems to be the case. A lot of horrible decisions (fa, draft, strategy ect) by the gm/front office, firing of coaches to replace them with worse, players not playing up to their contract and so on. There is not much to talk about this franchise if you cant talk about the negative things. Another rebuild is done and everything points to the fact that we still need another one. That will cause some negativity and its well deserved for this franchise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is exactly where I'm at. Less discussion is never good and when threads get locked this frequently I find myself trying to pick which thread I should be posting in. I like specific player threads because it's exciting talking about youngsters. I made the Marvin Bagley thread which was popular, and it got locked with a "no more specific player threads" message or something similar.

Now I find myself constantly digging through game threads and the Vlade thread for discussion about specific players. It's tedious and annoying and makes navigating the board a pain.

Now much of what you see is player thoughts (good or bad) being spewed throughout multiple threads, the Vlade thread in particular. It's not concise.
MODDING: Your thread was closed because it had turned into another discussion of Luka Doncic. The comment wasn't that there couldn't be any more "specific player threads." It was that we weren't going to have a thread "ostensibly" be about Bagley when in reality it had become about Doncic.

Want a thread dedicated to Marvin? GREAT IDEA, much like the Buddy, Giles and Holmes threads. Start a new one.

Your comment about digging through game threads and the Vlade thread for discussion about specific players is why we mods try and keep people on topic. That's why this board is organized in thread format. We however can only do so much.

Suggestion to the mods: Create an obscure little corner, and allow negativity about the team/franchise there. Those who want to vent can, and those who don't want to see it don't have to. I haven't moderated XenForo and have no suggestions about exactly how to implement it, but most platforms allow for something along those lines.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Only Jeremy has access to create a new subforum. And the last time it was suggested to him, he was... let's just say very strongly against it.

The only thing we could do is create a dedicated thread as a "safe space" for people to complain and, if I'm being honest, we're not super inclined to do that. We'll put it on the agenda for discussion but, I'll give you fair warning: don't expect a satisfactory resolution on this.

Only Jeremy has access to create a new subforum. And the last time it was suggested to him, he was... let's just say very strongly against it.

The only thing we could do is create a dedicated thread as a "safe space" for people to complain and, if I'm being honest, we're not super inclined to do that. We'll put it on the agenda for discussion but, I'll give you fair warning: don't expect a satisfactory resolution on this.
That wouldn't be after the experiment with the religion and politics subfolder would it? That went swimmingly well. From that I understand the zero tolerance policy.

Why is it a big deal for the mods to restrict who posts what in which thread as long as it is about the Kings, NBA and no personal attacks and profanity posted?
Big deal if someone writes a bit of a Bagley bashing mixed with Doncic love on a game thread. So what? Some controversy makes the thread more interesting in my opinion.

If The Foxhole was around in the last decade, I must have paid it no attention, since those are flamewar bait subjects I'd never discuss on a general purpose forum. I knew another forum which made something like that where essentially no rules applied, and it was a hellhole. But neither were related to the basic subject of the forum.

The problem here is far from unique. Say you have an MMA forum on reddit. Reddit has TOS that forbid the glorification of violence. MMA is not a peaceful topic, and edgy users may regularly put the continued existence of the forum in jeopardy from the admins, so the mods will get frequent headaches about what it takes for a user to go too far. Users may or may not be very understanding about that, but if the mods don't keep it in check, the whole forum might go away. Here, we have an owner who wants things to be at least somewhat upbeat. That hasn't always been a problem, but it's becoming one. I like containment of marginal content as a compromise, but I'm not a mod here, let alone the owner, and if he's the only one who could implement it, and he's not around and so inclined, then I don't know what to suggest. All I can say is that I'm glad I don't mod here. It's an unenviable position to be in.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If The Foxhole was around in the last decade, I must have paid it no attention, since those are flamewar bait subjects I'd never discuss on a general purpose forum. I knew another forum which made something like that where essentially no rules applied, and it was a hellhole. But neither were related to the basic subject of the forum.
The Foxhole happened during the early 00s, before The Crash. Jeremy thought that we could compartmentalize our ability to talk about adult topics, religion, politics, etc., and still come back up to the forum proper, and talk with each other about basketball, like nothing happened. The experiment went... poorly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Foxhole happened during the early 00s, before The Crash. Jeremy thought that we could compartmentalize our ability to talk about adult topics, religion, politics, etc., and still come back up to the forum proper, and talk with each other about basketball, like nothing happened. The experiment went... poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.