What should a good NBA GM know - and when should he/she know it ? (A LONG read - be warned)

[Note: large mod edits to remove material in the first two sections of the post, first paragraph largely redacted but reconstructed for narrative sense]

Yesterday, as Dallas comes to Sacramento for two games, I had some thoughts that seem to be exploring new territory with regard to the 2018 draft.

posters did confirm my memory of vlade announcing in advance of the draft that bagley was the choice (and agreed with me that that was a terrible strategy).

what did not get a response was my question as to whether anyone was aware that the front office knew about the luka/trae pick swap being worked on (while vlade fiddled).

no one had any knowledge (or link) on the subject of "whether they knew" (what dallas and atlanta were planning).

Here is a good example of how a smart gm could alter the course of a franchise (and indeed, the future of other franchises), while a gm who was asleep at the wheel could, with one move (or a failure to move), could set a franchise back for YEARS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new ideas:

Franklin Mieuli, one of the last of the not super rich individual owners had finally sold the Warriors to the former Milwaukee Bucks owners a couple of years prior to the 1987-88 season and Don Nelson (contractually bound to the Bucks at the time) suggested that they hire a young George Karl (who had had some success with the worst owner in the league - the infamous Ted Stepien in Cleveland) and the Warriors signed Karl to a three year contract.

It had paid off immediately as Karl took a flawed team to the playoffs in 1986-87, but it all collapsed the next season..

The 1987-88 season was a terrible year for the Warriors. What goes around comes around and the team that pulled the biggest upset in NBA Finals history in 1975 finished 1987-88 with a 20-62 record, which earned them the fifth pick in the 1988 draft.

They traded two of their marketable players at midseason (Sleepy Floyd and Joe Barely Cares) for a gimpy Ralph Sampson who was clearly damaged goods before he ever got to Sacramento. In 1987, they had drafted Tellis Frank in the first round of the 1987 draft and totally whiffed. Their lottery pick in 1986 (Chris Washburn, selected third) turned out to be a bigger bust than Marvin Bagley could ever be. Except for Chris Mullin, the cupboard was bare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Nelson came in as GM after the Sampson trade and soon fired Karl (Ed Gregory finished the season). 1988 was his first draft and he would then be coaching his pick to start 1988-89 as GM/Coach. It was his rebuild.

As we know, Nelson drafted Mitch Richmond who took them back to the playoffs in 1988 and won Rookie of the Year.

The following year he drafted Tim Hardaway as the 14th pick (who says you can't find value in the middle of the first round?), getting by with Winston Garland - father of Darius - as point guard in the interim). Together with Chris Mullin, they became RunTMC.

But Nelson made a major mistake when he broke up the RunTMC team in 1991 by trading Mitch to the Kings for the chance to draft Billy Owens at #3, a relative bust (based on where he was drafted and who he was traded for) who also later played in Sactown.

However, the Kings (who later were able to deal Mitch for Chris Webber) almost never got a chance to trade for Richmond. Mitch almost never became a Warrior (and likely, never would have become a King and brought the Kings Webber).

Mitch probably would have been drafted by Phoenix, had not GM Nelson been wide awake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back then, there were a series of all-star games for college seniors who hoped to be drafted (there were still three rounds in 1988 - down from seven rounds just a year earlier). Two NBA Coaches brought their (then skimpy) staffs and worked with the collegians. As you can imagine, that gave those two coaches, usually from teams not playoff bound, an advantage in judging talent. That year the two coaches were Nelson and the Suns' Cotton Fitzsimmons (the Suns were 28-54 in 87-88)..

Both coaches could clearly see that although there were going to be a lot of excellent shooting guards in that year's draft, Mitch Richmond stood out, even in a strong group. (4 of the top 8 selections were two guards and Phoenix still wound up with Dan Majerle at #14).

Nelson was afraid that Fitzsimmons would trade up to #4 to grab Mitch (the Suns had two picks, #7 and #14 to offer New Jersey) and that has remained about the going rate - Vlade traded down for #15 (Justin Jackson) and #20 (Harry Giles) giving up his #10 pick in 2017.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link to the 1988 draft:

1988 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

The Clippers also had two first round picks, #1 and #6 and all spring they were negotiating to trade for Charles Barkley, who, like Cousins in Sacramento, had worn out his welcome (this was the Charles of "I'm no role model - parents should be role models, so just do your jobs and don't ask me to be a role model for your kids").

Philly had agreed to a package of three number one picks for Charles but the two teams differed on the "which" and "when" questions. Naturally the 76ers wanted both 1988 picks and a future number 1. That was a definite "no" for the Clippers who wanted to part with the #6 pick in 1988 and two future number ones. Philly agreed to take one current and two futures but in that case,. they wanted the first pick in the draft in 1988 (and two future number ones), leaving the Clippers with the 1988 6th pick.

And there they deadlocked. In retrospect, the Clips should have taken that deal but they had their hearts set on collegiate player of the year, Danny Manning, who, like Sampson, was dogged by injuries and so, is generally considered a bust at his draft position.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But because the two teams had been having a civil conversation (even though in the end they could not agree), they did at the last minute work out a deal to swap picks in the first round, LAC moving from #6 to #3 and paying with a future #1 pick (as we saw from the Atlanta/Dallas Lukadiva deal that price has remained largely the same). That meant one less potential partner for Fitzsimmons to move ahead of Nelson.

So, the Clips were set to draft Manning #1. Indiana was known to be taking Rick Smits, the best center in the draft at #2 and then Philly was going to draft Charles Smith at #3 (the 6'10 Charles Smith, not the point guard Charles Smith) for LAC.. Then, at #6, the Clips would draft Hersey Hawkins for Philly (Rex Chapman went #8 and had Hawkins been gone, he would have been the pick).

Nelson knew/learned all this, but his problem was still that Fitzsimmons might offer his two firsts to move from #7 to #4 (the Warriors drafted fifth) and select Richmond.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Managers succeed or fail based in part on their communication skills. They are going to talk often with their counterparts whether they really have an idea or suggestion to float or whether they are spreading disinformation.

So, Nelson calls New jersey under the pretext of asking if their front office knew anything about something that they would NOT know anything about (because he made it up), as a way to have a conversation to make his real point.

He says, "I'm hearing that Indiana is having doubts about Smits and might go small - you hear anything about that?" (some people questioned taking Smits that high since he played - against weak competition - at tiny Marist College).

Naturally he gets a "first I've heard about it" and continues to chat until asked who he likes in the draft (which he KNOWS he WILL be asked, since if New Jersey makes the swap with Phoenix, Nelson will be picking before they select..

Nelson has heard from another GM that the Nets like Chris Morris as the best of the shooting guards - totally a bad choice, but it's really a crap shoot in many cases, So he replies, "We're thinking Chris Morris might be our guy if he's there at #5". New Jersey just says, "Yeah we like him too".

That was enough to stop New Jersey from being interested in helping Phoenix move from #7 to #4 (for a future pick) and Fitzsimmons later told Nelson he was sure NJ was going to take the offer - and then suddenly they lost interest (Nelson explained why - the two were actually quite friendly and Phoenix got Majerle, so, they filled their need anyway).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point I am illustrating is that a good GM should not only be considering their choice (in the draft), but they should also gain knowledge of what everyone else who could affect their selection is going to do. These days, with expanded front offices and many, many assistant coaches (Nelson had just two in 1987-88 and five years later, when he offered Greg Popovich a lifeline after the entire staff was fired in San Antonio, his staff had grown all the way to three assistant coaches - Pop stayed with the Warriors for two seasons waiting for the new regime in SA to fail and then became GM at San Antonio before hiring himself as Coach).,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone in the front office should be reading every mock draft and scouring the local media in NBA cities for hints (like who is working out who) as well as following scoopsters like Woj. Someone from a franchise should be calling the front office of other teams every week (or every day leading up to the draft), even if you have to make up a (phony) reason for calling, because what your team can do depends on what other teams do. Information is the coin of the realm.

NEVER should Atlanta and Dallas have been able to set up the Trae/Luka pick swap without the Kings front office knowing what was going on.- that kind of mistake just CAN'T happen (most teams drafting lower would have no particular need to know but Sacramento HAD to know that the Trae/Luka swap was finalizing).

Of course, I don't know for certain that they were NOT aware.

Does anyone have a link that would establish their knowledge prior to draft day?

But it seems to me like there was either gross incompetence involved OR (caution - conspiracy theory unfolding), someone knew but deliberately did not say (yeah, probably Vlade).

Because we DO know that there was disagreement over the pick, Vlade and Brandon wanting Marvin while Joerger (and Vivek more tepidly) wanting Luka;

Now, IF the Kings knew and were openly discussing their options regarding the proposed Dallas/Atlanta pick swap, then WHY would not Joerger have said (to convince Vivek) that if the Kings DON'T make the deal with Dallas (swapping #2 for #5) for a future first rounder, then, in essence, you are giving up a first round pick to draft Bagley over Luka and how can THAT be worth the price?

Sure you are gambling by trading down (not that Vlade hadn't done plenty of both previously), but when you get to draft day, you have choices:

One, 50-50 that Marvin is still there at #5 and you got one of the guys you wanted AND a future number one.

Assuming that Memphis stays with their plan at #4,, Atlanta either has to draft Trae Young at #3 or offer the Kings something NOT to draft Young (at #5), should they find a trading partner (below #5) who wants someone - probably Marvin - that Atlanta would draft and can draft Young for Atlanta.

Then you have a Mexican standoff:

Kings: "Give us something or we'll draft Trae at #5"

Atlanta: "Go right ahead and we will keep Marvin at #3 and neither of us gets who they really want"

Hopefully, the Kings knew about these options. But I would not be surprised if Vlade/Brandon knew of the Dallas/Atlanta proposed pick swap, but kept it to themselves to be certain of getting Vivek to sign off on drafting the Marvin they wanted.

Tinfoil hat OFF as we return to the current regime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not made up my mind about Monte's competence. You can't blame him for the Bogi fiasco and he has drafted the best guy available, twice (although duplicating positioning) BUT I question the "Hield to Lakers" misstep.

The reason (and I just realized this recently) is that this was a FIVE TEAM trade.- so, HOW does Monte not know that the Lakers are angling for Westbrook (instead of Buddy)? Locally, this was portrayed as the Lakers "playing" the Kings, but really, Monte should have had enough ears around the league to know when FIVE teams are setting up a major trade and realized that "Buddy" was a fallback position in case the Russ trade collapsed. Monte was no "victim". But was he fully informed? If not, that's on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, I found a (locked) thread on luka/marvin/vlade and wondered why it had been locked, since it seemed to be exploring new territory ("are the Kings better off WITHOUT luka"?) and also timely as Dallas comes to Sacramento for two games (I HATE that they have kept doing back to back home games with the same opponent - if i hadn't already dumped my season tix, this would push me further in that direction, but i digress)

so, i started a thread (now also locked) which i guess was locked because moderators felt their authority was being challenged.

As I made clear in that thread, I accept the moderators right to run their board however they want - i was just trying to understand their thought process.

posters did confirm my memory of vlade announcing in advance of the draft that bagley was the choice (and agreed with me that that was a terrible strategy).

what did not get a response was my question as to whether anyone was aware that the front office knew about the luka/trae pick swap being worked on (while vlade fiddled).

no one had any knowledge (or link) on the subject of "whether they knew" (what dallas and atlanta were planning).

last night, i wrote up a good example of how a smart gm could alter the course of a franchise (and indeed, the future of other franchises), while a gm who was asleep at the wheel could, with one move (or a failure to move), could set a franchise back for YEARS.

below, i will cut/paste my content but let me again say that this is not in any way meant to "challenge" the moderators.

a good analogy would be the recent interview with terrance davis after the loss to memphis (page 9 of that game thread, post #263):

https://community.kingsfans.com/thr...-26-2021-3pm-pacific-6pm-eastern.82780/page-9

if you skip ahead to the four minute mark, you will hear davis (NOT in a "complaining" way) explain his confusion/frustration with "not knowing the substitution patterns".

an abrasive coach COULD take that as the player complaining about the coach ("that's MY job, not yours") - but i don't think terrance meant it that way - he was simply confused and sought more rotation stability or at least more knowledge about what was expected.

a good coach would understand that.

a good moderator will also understand my confusion and intentions.

end of preamble - now to my post composed last night (this is LONG, but you can skip ahead going from one set of dashes to the next):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

previous thoughts in now locked thread):

https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/not-sure-why-new-thread-was-locked.82817/

new ideas:

Franklin Mieuli, one of the last of the not super rich individual owners had finally sold the Warriors to the former Milwaukee Bucks owners a couple of years prior to the 1987-88 season and Don Nelson (contractually bound to the Bucks at the time) suggested that they hire a young George Karl (who had had some success with the worst owner in the league - the infamous Ted Stepien in Cleveland) and the Warriors signed Karl to a three year contract.

It had paid off immediately as Karl took a flawed team to the playoffs in 1986-87, but it all collapsed the next season..

The 1987-88 season was a terrible year for the Warriors. What goes around comes around and the team that pulled the biggest upset in NBA Finals history in 1975 finished 1987-88 with a 20-62 record, which earned them the fifth pick in the 1988 draft.

They traded two of their marketable players at midseason (Sleepy Floyd and Joe Barely Cares) for a gimpy Ralph Sampson who was clearly damaged goods before he ever got to Sacramento. In 1987, they had drafted Tellis Frank in the first round of the 1987 draft and totally whiffed. Their lottery pick in 1986 (Chris Washburn, selected third) turned out to be a bigger bust than Marvin Bagley could ever be. Except for Chris Mullin, the cupboard was bare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Nelson came in as GM after the Sampson trade and soon fired Karl (Ed Gregory finished the season). 1988 was his first draft and he would then be coaching his pick to start 1988-89 as GM/Coach. It was his rebuild.

As we know, Nelson drafted Mitch Richmond who took them back to the playoffs in 1988 and won Rookie of the Year.

The following year he drafted Tim Hardaway as the 14th pick (who says you can't find value in the middle of the first round?), getting by with Winston Garland - father of Darius - as point guard in the interim). Together with Chris Mullin, they became RunTMC.

But Nelson made a major mistake when he broke up the RunTMC team in 1991 by trading Mitch to the Kings for the chance to draft Billy Owens at #3, a relative bust (based on where he was drafted and who he was traded for) who also later played in Sactown.

However, the Kings (who later were able to deal Mitch for Chris Webber) almost never got a chance to trade for Richmond. Mitch almost never became a Warrior (and likely, never would have become a King and brought the Kings Webber).

Mitch probably would have been drafted by Phoenix, had not GM Nelson been wide awake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back then, there were a series of all-star games for college seniors who hoped to be drafted (there were still three rounds in 1988 - down from seven rounds just a year earlier). Two NBA Coaches brought their (then skimpy) staffs and worked with the collegians. As you can imagine, that gave those two coaches, usually from teams not playoff bound, an advantage in judging talent. That year the two coaches were Nelson and the Suns' Cotton Fitzsimmons (the Suns were 28-54 in 87-88)..

Both coaches could clearly see that although there were going to be a lot of excellent shooting guards in that year's draft, Mitch Richmond stood out, even in a strong group. (4 of the top 8 selections were two guards and Phoenix still wound up with Dan Majerle at #14).

Nelson was afraid that Fitzsimmons would trade up to #4 to grab Mitch (the Suns had two picks, #7 and #14 to offer New Jersey) and that has remained about the going rate - Vlade traded down for #15 (Justin Jackson) and #20 (Harry Giles) giving up his #10 pick in 2017.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Clippers also had two first round picks, #1 and #6 and all spring they were negotiating to trade for Charles Barkley, who, like Cousins in Sacramento, had worn out his welcome (this was the Charles of "I'm no role model - parents should be role models, so just do your jobs and don't ask me to be a role model for your kids").

Philly had agreed to a package of three number one picks for Charles but the two teams differed on the "which" and "when" questions. Naturally the 76ers wanted both 1988 picks and a future number 1. That was a definite "no" for the Clippers who wanted to part with the #6 pick in 1988 and two future number ones. Philly agreed to take one current and two futures but in that case,. they wanted the first pick in the draft in 1988 (and two future number ones), leaving the Clippers with the 1988 6th pick.

And there they deadlocked. In retrospect, the Clips should have taken that deal but they had their hearts set on collegiate player of the year, Danny Manning, who, like Sampson, was dogged by injuries and so, is generally considered a bust at his draft position.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But because the two teams had been having a civil conversation (even though in the end they could not agree), they did at the last minute work out a deal to swap picks in the first round, LAC moving from #6 to #3 and paying with a future #1 pick (as we saw from the Atlanta/Dallas Lukadiva deal that price has remained largely the same). That meant one less potential partner for Fitzsimmons to move ahead of Nelson.

So, the Clips were set to draft Manning #1. Indiana was known to be taking Rick Smits, the best center in the draft at #2 and then Philly was going to draft Charles Smith at #3 (the 6'10 Charles Smith, not the point guard Charles Smith) for LAC.. Then, at #6, the Clips would draft Hersey Hawkins for Philly (Rex Chapman went #8 and had Hawkins been gone, he would have been the pick).

Nelson knew/learned all this, but his problem was still that Fitzsimmons might offer his two firsts to move from #7 to #4 (the Warriors drafted fifth) and select Richmond.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Managers succeed or fail based in part on their communication skills. They are going to talk often with their counterparts whether they really have an idea or suggestion to float or whether they are spreading disinformation.

So, Nelson calls New jersey under the pretext of asking if their front office knew anything about something that they would NOT know anything about (because he made it up), as a way to have a conversation to make his real point.

He says, "I'm hearing that Indiana is having doubts about Smits and might go small - you hear anything about that?" (some people questioned taking Smits that high since he played - against weak competition - at tiny Marist College).

Naturally he gets a "first I've heard about it" and continues to chat until asked who he likes in the draft (which he KNOWS he WILL be asked, since if New Jersey makes the swap with Phoenix, Nelson will be picking before they select..

Nelson has heard from another GM that the Nets like Chris Morris as the best of the shooting guards - totally a bad choice, but it's really a crap shoot in many cases, So he replies, "We're thinking Chris Morris might be our guy if he's there at #5". New Jersey just says, "Yeah we like him too".

That was enough to stop New Jersey from being interested in helping Phoenix move from #7 to #4 (for a future pick) and Fitzsimmons later told Nelson he was sure NJ was going to take the offer - and then suddenly they lost interest (Nelson explained why - the two were actually quite friendly and Phoenix got Majerle, so, they filled their need anyway).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point I am illustrating is that a good GM should not only be considering their choice (in the draft), but they should also gain knowledge of what everyone else who could affect their selection is going to do. These days, with expanded front offices and many, many assistant coaches (Nelson had just two in 1987-88 and five years later, when he offered Greg Popovich a lifeline after the entire staff was fired in San Antonio, his staff had grown all the way to three assistant coaches - Pop stayed with the Warriors for two seasons waiting for the new regime in SA to fail and then became GM at San Antonio before hiring himself as Coach).,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone in the front office should be reading every mock draft and scouring the local media in NBA cities for hints (like who is working out who) as well as following scoopsters like Woj. Someone from a franchise should be calling the front office of other teams every week (or every day leading up to the draft), even if you have to make up a (phony) reason for calling, because what your team can do depends on what other teams do. Information is the coin of the realm.

NEVER should Atlanta and Dallas have been able to set up the Trae/Lukadiva pick swap without the Kings front office knowing what was going on.- that kind of mistake just CAN'T happen (most teams drafting lower would have no particular need to know but Sacramento HAD to know that the Trae/Lukadiva swap was finalizing).

Does anyone have a link that would establish their knowledge prior to draft day?

But it seems to me like there was either gross incompetence involved OR (caution - conspiracy theory unfolding), someone knew but deliberately did not say (yeah, probably Vlade).

Because we DO know that there was disagreement over the pick, Vlade and Brandon wanting Marvin while Joerger (and Vivek more tepidly) wanting Lukadiva.;

Now, IF the Kings knew and were openly discussing their options regarding the proposed Dallas/Atlanta pick swap, then WHY would not Joerger have said (to convince Vivek) that if the Kings DON'T make the deal with Dallas (swapping #2 for #5) for a future first rounder, then, in essence, you are giving up a first round pick to draft Moneybags over Lukadiva and how can THAT be worth the price?

Sure you are gambling by trading down (not that Vlade hadn't done plenty of both previously), but when you get to draft day, you have choices:

One, 50-50 that Marvin is still there at #5 and you got one of the guys you wanted AND a future number one.

Assuming that Memphis stays with their plan at #4,, Atlanta either has to draft Trae Young at #3 or offer the Kings something NOT to draft Young (at #5), should they find a trading partner (below #5) who wants someone - probably Marvin - that Atlanta would draft and can draft Young for Atlanta.

Atlanta: "Go right ahead and we will keep Marvin at #3 and neither of us gets who they really want"

Hopefully, the Kings knew about these options. But I would not be surprised if Vlade/Brandon knew of the Dallas/Atlanta proposed pick swap, but kept it to themselves to be certain of getting Vivek to sign off on drafting the Marvin they wanted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not made up my mind about Monte's competence. You can't blame him for the Bogi fiasco and he has drafted the best guy available, twice (although duplicating positioning) BUT I question the "Hield to Lakers" misstep.

The reason (and I just realized this recently) is that this was a FIVE TEAM trade.- so, HOW does Monte not know that the Lakers are angling for Westbrook (instead of Buddy)? Locally, this was portrayed as the Lakers "playing" the Kings, but really, Monte should have had enough ears around the league to know when FIVE teams are setting up a major trade and realized that "Buddy" was a fallback position in case the Russ trade collapsed. Monte was no "victim". But was he fully informed? If not, that's on him.
I haven't read your whole post yet but will offer a quick suggestion for editing. Get rid of the references to the locked threads, no need for that. Don't need the part about whether anyone knew about the potential pick swap between Dallas and Atlanta. That draft has been beaten to death.

Organizational structure, communication and current dynamics from front office, coach to owner is a whole different story. Does the current structure keep one looking inwards/behind for self-preservation or does it encourage trying to reach new heights?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, to respond before reading the novel, this is simply not correct. Vlade did not announce ahead of time that he would be picking Bagley. Several hours, perhaps even as much as a day before the draft, rumors started to swirl that we would be picking Bagley. I believe several media folks around Sacramento (including Carmichael Dave?) were independently reporting this rumor - but it was NOT announced. It was leaked. There is a difference.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
below, i will cut/paste my content but let me again say that this is not in any way meant to "challenge" the moderators.
If so, then I trust you won't object to me making major edits to remove the references to locked threads and moderation and the like.

Well, let me be more blunt: whether you object or not, it's going to happen. I will be editing the initial post here. The bias that I'm going to be coming at this with is that the material - without references to moderation - will be strong enough to stand on its own as a thread. Once I am finished editing, we will see how that goes.

I skimmed the post. It’s just too long. But did get your takeaway, which is that it is TBD on Monte. I agree though he’s producing at a middle manager level. This is his window to do something. Time will tell if he’s ceo material or just another paper pusher.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Now, IF the Kings knew and were openly discussing their options regarding the proposed Dallas/Atlanta pick swap, then WHY would not Joerger have said (to convince Vivek) that if the Kings DON'T make the deal with Dallas (swapping #2 for #5) for a future first rounder, then, in essence, you are giving up a first round pick to draft Bagley over Luka and how can THAT be worth the price?

A lot here is predicated on the idea that the Kings front office is supposed to be privy to negotiations between Dallas and Atlanta, which seems a bit farfetched to me. Teams tend to like to play things close to the vest.

That said, seeing as Dallas was willing to trade #5 + a future pick to move up to #3 to draft Luka, it's pretty obvious that they would have been willing to trade #5 + a future pick to move up to #2 to draft Luka as well. The price is the same. The latter is actually safer for Dallas, because a trade to #3 would not preclude the Kings from taking Luka at #2 (something most draft pundits assumed would happen up to a day or less before the draft). So, it would stand to reason that Dallas likely made the offer to us, and we turned it down. In hindsight, that was a mistake. But at the time, since we had Bagley rated as the #2 prospect, it would have meant that we risked up to three teams taking the player that we wanted - and could take without issue - in exchange for a future first that ended up being #10 in a draft that wasn't super strong out of the top 2 players.

Note that I said three teams could have taken Bagley had we traded down with Dallas:

1) Dallas - unless they specifically told us they were going to take Luka with #2, we don't know for certain who they are targeting. We liked Bagley > Luka, mightn't we reason that Dallas did as well? Presumably they would have taken Luka, but I guess we don't know for sure, as the way things panned out they never had a chance at Bagley.

2) Atlanta - If Atlanta stayed at #3, with Ayton/Luka #1/#2, how do we know they wouldn't draft Bagley? What we know is that Atlanta preferred whoever fell from Luka/JJJ/Trae plus a future pick to their choice of Luka/JJJ/Trae. Maybe Trae was very high on their board, and maybe he was #5 on their board. We just don't know, nor do we know how much they might have liked Bagley. They never had a shot at Bagley.

By the way, your "Mexican standoff" doesn't make any sense. If Atlanta wants Trae at #3 and we are at #5, then...they take Trae at #3. They don't take Bagley. We can't threaten them out of it by saying we'll take Trae at #5 WHEN THEY COULD JUST HAVE TAKEN HIM.

3) Memphis - It's possible Memphis preferred Bagley to JJJ. We don't know. They never had a shot at Bagley.

So what we were facing there, assuming Dallas put the offer on the table to us, was a situation where we preferred Bagley, and we had a choice between two options:

A) Take our pick of Bagley/Luka/JJJ/Trae, which means take Bagley, and don't try to get cute.

B) Get a future pick, and take the player who falls between Bagley/Luka/JJJ/Trae. Note that Trae may be the likely (but not guaranteed) player to fall, and he is not going to be our #1 target because we just drafted Fox.

If there's not a big difference between those four players in our minds, then B) is a good option. But if we strongly prefer one player (which obviously we did) then A) is the better option.

Bottom line, Atlanta preferred Trae/JJJ + pick over Luka. We did not prefer Trae/JJJ + pick over Bagley. With 3+ years of hindsight, both of these decisions appear to be wrong, but you don't get to make your picks with hindsight. Vlade holds the blame for this from our side, but Vlade is gone.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

Basketball-reference reports this as a 5-team trade, but there is no reason to believe it was negotiated in that way. The Lakers traded three players and a 1st to the Wizards for Westbrook and some 2nds. That was the deal. Later, the Wizards flipped the Lakers' 1st to the Pacers in a independent deal. Later, the Wizards also pulled an independent three-team deal with the Spurs and the Nets. It gets wrapped up as a 5-team deal because the league has this arcane technicality that you can't trade picks during the draft, so all the moves the Wizards subsequently made were delayed in execution by the technicality, and ended up getting wrapped into a single trade, but the Lakers/Westbrook part was fundamentally independent, and reported quite a long time before the other moves went down.

But even so, what was Monte supposed to do there? He was negotiating a trade. When the Lakers put the trade out there, they forced Washington's hand, and Washington swooped in and made an offer the Lakers preferred. What was Monte's alternative? NOT to try to negotiate a trade? Not holding trade talks is a good way to not trade a player. Which is what happened anyway.

[Note: large mod edits to remove material in the first two sections of the post, first paragraph largely redacted but reconstructed for narrative sense]

Yesterday, as Dallas comes to Sacramento for two games, I had some thoughts that seem to be exploring new territory with regard to the 2018 draft.

Here is a good example of how a smart gm could alter the course of a franchise (and indeed, the future of other franchises), while a gm who was asleep at the wheel could, with one move (or a failure to move), could set a franchise back for YEARS.

new ideas:

NEVER should Atlanta and Dallas have been able to set up the Trae/Luka pick swap without the Kings front office knowing what was going on.- that kind of mistake just CAN'T happen (most teams drafting lower would have no particular need to know but Sacramento HAD to know that the Trae/Luka swap was finalizing).

Because we DO know that there was disagreement over the pick, Vlade and Brandon wanting Marvin while Joerger (and Vivek more tepidly) wanting Luka;

To some up a long post. Being a GM is a lot like poker in that you need to gather intelligence, read the signs and set your strategy. Sadly both Monte and Vlade are poor at this game.

Vlade’s actions with Bagley and not trading down were documented but the PappaG pick was even more egregious. No reason to take PappaG at that point and not pick up better players. Same issue with Justin James. At the core, Vlade’s problem was he was a horrible draft evaluator however.

Monte meanwhile has been just as bad but in different ways. After the Bogi deal fell apart he got bluffed by Schlenk. He should have folded his hand a taken a lessor offer. He was used by the Lakers who never intended to make that trade final. Lastly in a draft where you absolutely needed a forward he made no moves to position himself in the draft to draft top 8.

A lot here is predicated on the idea that the Kings front office is supposed to be privy to negotiations between Dallas and Atlanta, which seems a bit farfetched to me. Teams tend to like to play things close to the vest.

That said, seeing as Dallas was willing to trade #5 + a future pick to move up to #3 to draft Luka, it's pretty obvious that they would have been willing to trade #5 + a future pick to move up to #2 to draft Luka as well. The price is the same. The latter is actually safer for Dallas, because a trade to #3 would not preclude the Kings from taking Luka at #2 (something most draft pundits assumed would happen up to a day or less before the draft). So, it would stand to reason that Dallas likely made the offer to us, and we turned it down. In hindsight, that was a mistake. But at the time, since we had Bagley rated as the #2 prospect, it would have meant that we risked up to three teams taking the player that we wanted - and could take without issue - in exchange for a future first that ended up being #10 in a draft that wasn't super strong out of the top 2 players.

Note that I said three teams could have taken Bagley had we traded down with Dallas:

1) Dallas - unless they specifically told us they were going to take Luka with #2, we don't know for certain who they are targeting. We liked Bagley > Luka, mightn't we reason that Dallas did as well? Presumably they would have taken Luka, but I guess we don't know for sure, as the way things panned out they never had a chance at Bagley.

2) Atlanta - If Atlanta stayed at #3, with Ayton/Luka #1/#2, how do we know they wouldn't draft Bagley? What we know is that Atlanta preferred whoever fell from Luka/JJJ/Trae plus a future pick to their choice of Luka/JJJ/Trae. Maybe Trae was very high on their board, and maybe he was #5 on their board. We just don't know, nor do we know how much they might have liked Bagley. They never had a shot at Bagley.

By the way, your "Mexican standoff" doesn't make any sense. If Atlanta wants Trae at #3 and we are at #5, then...they take Trae at #3. They don't take Bagley. We can't threaten them out of it by saying we'll take Trae at #5 WHEN THEY COULD JUST HAVE TAKEN HIM.

3) Memphis - It's possible Memphis preferred Bagley to JJJ. We don't know. They never had a shot at Bagley.

So what we were facing there, assuming Dallas put the offer on the table to us, was a situation where we preferred Bagley, and we had a choice between two options:

A) Take our pick of Bagley/Luka/JJJ/Trae, which means take Bagley, and don't try to get cute.

B) Get a future pick, and take the player who falls between Bagley/Luka/JJJ/Trae. Note that Trae may be the likely (but not guaranteed) player to fall, and he is not going to be our #1 target because we just drafted Fox.

If there's not a big difference between those four players in our minds, then B) is a good option. But if we strongly prefer one player (which obviously we did) then A) is the better option.

Bottom line, Atlanta preferred Trae/JJJ + pick over Luka. We did not prefer Trae/JJJ + pick over Bagley. With 3+ years of hindsight, both of these decisions appear to be wrong, but you don't get to make your picks with hindsight. Vlade holds the blame for this from our side, but Vlade is gone.
We do know what Memphis would have done has Hollinger was the GM and has said repeatedly on the Athletic they had Bagley low on their board and were targeting JJJ.

The key was ferreting out what Atlanta would do if you traded with Dallas. Because if they went Trae you were picking between Bagley and JJJ.

Well, to respond before reading the novel, this is simply not correct. Vlade did not announce ahead of time that he would be picking Bagley. Several hours, perhaps even as much as a day before the draft, rumors started to swirl that we would be picking Bagley. I believe several media folks around Sacramento (including Carmichael Dave?) were independently reporting this rumor - but it was NOT announced. It was leaked. There is a difference.
People on other teams knew we were picking Bagley multiple days before the draft. Check out my posts historical where I was told and posted we were taking Bagley many days before.

What was not known or discussed is whether Luka would have signed here if we drafted him. A good possibility existed that he would have stayed at Real Madrid. How that influenced Vlade’s thinking we will never know.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
We do know what Memphis would have done has Hollinger was the GM and has said repeatedly on the Athletic they had Bagley low on their board and were targeting JJJ.
"The guy I drafted is the exact guy I wanted" is the second-most predictable statement in sports, behind only "I'm in the best shape of my life" from every player after every offseason. I put literally zero stock in it.

Monte meanwhile has been just as bad but in different ways. After the Bogi deal fell apart he got bluffed by Schlenk. He should have folded his hand a taken a lessor offer. He was used by the Lakers who never intended to make that trade final. Lastly in a draft where you absolutely needed a forward he made no moves to position himself in the draft to draft top 8.
I'm sorry...

Got bluffed by Schlenk, folded his hand/taken a lesser offer, used by the Lakers... made no moves to position himself in the draft...

this is just how you interpret the situation, isn't it?

People on other teams knew we were picking Bagley multiple days before the draft. Check out my posts historical where I was told and posted we were taking Bagley many days before.

What was not known or discussed is whether Luka would have signed here if we drafted him. A good possibility existed that he would have stayed at Real Madrid. How that influenced Vlade’s thinking we will never know.
If Vlade did let that influence his decision, then he's even worse at the job than we thought

I'm sorry...

Got bluffed by Schlenk, folded his hand/taken a lesser offer, used by the Lakers... made no moves to position himself in the draft...

this is just how you interpret the situation, isn't it?
Yes and no.

These would be facts:
Others in the league knew the Lakers weren’t making that trade.
He made no moves to get into the top 8
Bogi left, the Kings received nothing, and McNair never countered with a lower offer.

Now what is speculation based on some articles is if McNair countered with Bogi for two seconds if Schlenk would have accepted that offer to avoid the contract poison pills.

Here's a question. What made Vlade think that Bagley would be a great NBA player? The fact that he had good jumping ability?

Divac was playing low level checkers, while most of the other organizations were playing high level chess
There was quite a bit more to Bagley's resume than that. Bagley was going to be a high lottery pick, even if the Kings didn't draft him.

There was quite a bit more to Bagley's resume than that. Bagley was going to be a high lottery pick, even if the Kings didn't draft him.
Could you list them? He wasn't known for shooting or any kind of elite skill at the college level. He was/is a run/jump player as his elite attribute.

I would never draft a run/jump guy that high in a strong draft, with the hope that he could develop NBA basketball skills

From Wikipedia page. He wasn't a bum, like some want to make him out to be.

Comparing resumes, Bagley was in line with Ayton, if not better, if you consider that a basketball award in the ACC Is worth more than the Pac 12. Then made NBA all rookie 1st team coming off the bench in a VERY strong draft class.

From Wikipedia page. He wasn't a bum, like some want to make him out to be.

Comparing resumes, Bagley was in line with Ayton, if not better, if you consider that a basketball award in the ACC Is worth more than the Pac 12. Then made NBA all rookie 1st team coming off the bench in a VERY strong draft class.
Right. My point is that got those awards based on his size and athletic ability, against competition who could not match that. Not because he had a clear NBA skill set

gunks

Hall of Famer
I reckon the list of players who had oodles of college accolades who couldn’t make it in the NBA against tougher competition is pretty long.

I thought Bagley’s skill set screamed “garbage man”, or at the very best one of those 20/10 bigman relics that were a hot commodity in Vlades day, but relegated to the bench in the modern NBA.

Bags wasn’t an outside shooter, had zero passing skills, and was a negative defender. That’s a bigman project who tops out as an energy player a la Trez, not somebody you pick at 2.

Then again, iirc, my second choice for our pick at 2 after Luka was Mo Bamba, so what do I know.

To be honest, when I was looking at the draft prospects at the time, I didn't think highly of Bagley at all.

I wasn't impressed by the vids. I saw some guy that would get some second chance buckets and have the potential to hit an outside shot.

He wasn't on my list at all.

What actually made me realize I didn't get the full picture was in his first summer league game against the spurs. I could tell he had skill in the post.

And then I could kind of understand why he was so highly coveted.

That and he runs the floor pretty well, he's a pretty smooth player imo.

I reckon the list of players who had oodles of college accolades who couldn’t make it in the NBA against tougher competition is pretty long.

I thought Bagley’s skill set screamed “garbage man”, or at the very best one of those 20/10 bigman relics that were a hot commodity in Vlades day, but relegated to the bench in the modern NBA.

Bags wasn’t an outside shooter, had zero passing skills, and was a negative defender. That’s a bigman project who tops out as an energy player a la Trez, not somebody you pick at 2.

Then again, iirc, my second choice for our pick at 2 after Luka was Mo Bamba, so what do I know.
Jahlil Okafor and Michael Beasley come to mind.

There's no denying that Bagley had a sensational college season and was going to go high. Yet despite that, his stock fell from his last year of high school to his lone year in college from "generational prospect" in high school to ~4 around the time he was drafted.

And we could only watch in horror as Vlade got starstruck by the stats and accolades and picked the archaic big man no one likes or wants anymore.

Right. My point is that got those awards based on his size and athletic ability, against competition who could not match that. Not because he had a clear NBA skill set
This is the very definition of a sure fire NBA talent.

Marvin was the #1 college recruit because he was better than everyone he played against in high school. He was a lottery pick and won all those awards because he was better than everyone he played against.

He was all rookie 1st team because he was better than all the rookies who he was competing against.

Jahlil Okafor and Michael Beasley come to mind.

There's no denying that Bagley had a sensational college season and was going to go high. Yet despite that, his stock fell from his last year of high school to his lone year in college from "generational prospect" in high school to ~4 around the time he was drafted.

And we could only watch in horror as Vlade got starstruck by the stats and accolades and picked the archaic big man no one likes or wants anymore.
Speak for yourself, I'm a big fan of Bags. He's made a lot of strides this year

This is the very definition of a sure fire NBA talent.

Marvin was the #1 college recruit because he was better than everyone he played against in high school. He was a lottery pick and won all those awards because he was better than everyone he played against.

He was all rookie 1st team because he was better than all the rookies who he was competing against.
and yet, many of us were very skeptical (including NBA scouts, draft experts)....again, because the NBA translatable skills were not there. When he was drafted, I didn't think he would ever make an NBA All Star team

and yet, many of us were very skeptical (including NBA scouts, draft experts)....again, because the NBA translatable skills were not there. When he was drafted, I didn't think he would ever make an NBA All Star team
Yet, here he is. Still playing. Starting games. Contributing. Reminder that he still made that 1st team all rookie.

I have no idea who these draft experts are that said he would not be able to play in the NBA after dominating college. Or what NBA scout was on record saying Marvin was no good.

Would also be careful to crown any member of that draft class just yet.