The problem was that there was no good result if the Kings kept both Buddy and Bogi. Another season of both would've been a disaster IMO. It would appear that Monte tried to move Buddy, but there were no takers. Oddly enough, Buddy expanded his game some this season with better passing which might make him more tradeable this off season.
"Bogi is best used more coming off screens and catch and shoot. Rarely was he used in that manner."
except when wcs was on team.
i don't think they keep stats on "picks set for scores" but they should - it's a lot like an assist.
wcs has been slammed for "softness" and there is no doubt he avoided contact.
but willie was perfect for the team joerger had assembled.
1) never got hurt or took time off (at least, in what he thought was his "contract year" - missed one game after kings had been eliminated, played in 81/82).
2) BOTH buddy and bogi needed help getting shots and willie would go all the way out to set screens for three point shots (opposing centers usually did not follow him out to the line)
3) willie had no shot. he didn't really rebound. unlike college, he was not a shot blocker. he was only an average defender. missed a lot of foul shots but willie would run the floor, score on lobs (only - bogi assisted him 7 times in one laker game - randle was playing center) BUT willie got shots for buddy and bogi - neither played as well after willie was let go. the hawks have capella, but willie may yet wind up with bogi again.
"rarely was bogi used in that manner" AFTER wcs left, but previously, both buddy AND bogi benefitted from willie's presence.
people are high on richaun holmes, but, he really isn't a center. he could be in the east (so he will likely go to charlotte) but the west has some big, strong centers (adams, gobert, jokic, nurkic, valentunis, ayton) and holmes can't guard them
leaving with an injury in the biggest game of the season is not the way to end a career (here) but i think holmes is gone.
was he a better fit for the kings than wcs?
the win/loss record says "no".
so, my final "what if"'s are
1) what if joeger had been kept and willie resigned (richaun would have been the bench "energy big")?
2) what if the kings had offered a max contract for jimmy butler (NOT trading for harrison barnes)