What has to happen to move forward next year

I feel like when it comes to paying players fans tend to project the lowest number possible, but in reality they will get paid more than we would like lol. It would not surprise me at all if barnes got 20mil per year to be honest, but hopefully it wont be from the Kings if so. You have guys like kuzma and grant asking for double that and they might actually get it.

I feel like when it comes to paying players fans tend to project the lowest number possible, but in reality they will get paid more than we would like lol. It would not surprise me at all if barnes got 20mil per year to be honest, but hopefully it wont be from the Kings if so.
the one thing that will help us if we decide to retain Hb is that there are only 11 teams that have more than 15 mil in cap space. 7 of those teams are rebuilding and I don’t see Barnes signing with any of them. The other teams are Dallas (not likely) LA (not likely) and Indiana ( the most likely outside of us). Does Indiana really want to recreate 3/5 of the starters from last years kings team?

I think in normal year Barnes would get close to 20 but after looking at the cap sheets coupled with the fact that he wants to be back, I don’t think 3/45 ish would be out of the question. To me that would be ideal because he could transition to a bench role after this next season

the one thing that will help us if we decide to retain Hb is that there are only 11 teams that have more than 15 mil in cap space. 7 of those teams are rebuilding and I don’t see Barnes signing with any of them. The other teams are Dallas (not likely) LA (not likely) and Indiana ( the most likely outside of us). Does Indiana really want to recreate 3/5 of the starters from last years kings team?

I think in normal year Barnes would get close to 20 but after looking at the cap sheets coupled with the fact that he wants to be back, I don’t think 3/45 ish would be out of the question. To me that would be ideal because he could transition to a bench role after this next season
I guess we'll see what the market dictates. I wouldn't be mad at barnes at 15mil a year at all.

If hes a liability due to injury he shouldnt play. No excuses.
Some folks would have then called him "soft".

He's a professional athlete, who plays with lots of heart and effort. He's not indestructible though. Health and injuries will impact him, just like anyone else. He might have fallen short by your expectations. I felt he and the team overachieved beyond my wildest expectations. I'm a happy fan.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I want the Warriors again next year. I want Sabonis to set a screen so hard on Curry on the first play that Draymond (who is watching the playoffs at home in Charlotte) will cringe. Fox will stand over his corpse and casually say, "we lit your beam, bro."

We'll take the flagrant 2, and win the series in 5.
Yeah, never ever ever ask for the Warriors. They’re going to somehow someway to find a way to come back next season just as in tact as they always do.

We were one of the most profitable franchises this year. I wanna see Vivek open of the check good and get into the luxury tax a little. PONY UP VIVEK!

For me, a big part of the future plans will be for the FO/coaching staff to identify what the kids can give us.

We have 5 possible contributors/folks we expect to take a jump.
1. Keegan: Obviously. We all hope he will soon be part of the big 3.
2. Davion: I think he is the key. He played great defense, and also often complemented on the offensive end. His running the team might not be elite, but if he develops as a more consistent offensive threat, he will really help. Being an older rookie, some folks think of him as having reached his ceiling, but I think he is still young, and can grow. A consistent outside jumper will be huge.
3. Edwards: Some promise here. This year could be huge for him, and if so, for him with us.
4. Neemias: Len made a solid case of backup C position, but we also have a young, athletic 7 footer who has shown promise.
5. Ellis: Too early to say, but we do need a third PG. Delly clearly has value in the locker room (and sometimes on the floor). At just 32, he is probably too young to move to a coach's chair, particularly if he can still play. If so, probably another year in Stockton for Keon.

We were blessed with good health this season. Even for a young team, I expect some of that to change next year. Teams will play us harder, and there will be injures and rest requirements from time to time. Depth will be helpful. Hopefully, some of the kids can make a leap.

For me, a big part of the future plans will be for the FO/coaching staff to identify what the kids can give us.

2. Davion: I think he is the key. He played great defense, and also often complemented on the offensive end. His running the team might not be elite, but if he develops as a more consistent offensive threat, he will really help. Being an older rookie, some folks think of him as having reached his ceiling, but I think he is still young, and can grow. A consistent outside jumper will be huge.
3. Edwards: Some promise here. This year could be huge for him, and if so, for him with us.
4. Neemias: Len made a solid case of backup C position, but we also have a young, athletic 7 footer who has shown promise.
5. Ellis: Too early to say, but we do need a third PG. Delly clearly has value in the locker room (and sometimes on the floor). At just 32, he is probably too young to move to a coach's chair, particularly if he can still play. If so, probably another year in Stockton for Keon.

We were blessed with good health this season. Even for a young team, I expect some of that to change next year. Teams will play us harder, and there will be injures and rest requirements from time to time. Depth will be helpful. Hopefully, some of the kids can make a leap.
Nice post. I'd probably simplify it a bit more.
1. Fox takes another leap as a superstar.
2. Sabonis get that C Webb midrange dialed in the keep defenses honest.
3. Keegan take a giant leap next year and another big leap the following year to create a big 3.
4. Continuity.....keep these guys together and add a couple young pieces that fit our timeline.

We were one of the most profitable franchises this year. I wanna see Vivek open of the check good and get into the luxury tax a little. PONY UP VIVEK!
Be careful what you wish for.

It's not always a good idea to "pay up" for winning. A shiny new FA now can turn into a bad, untradable contract pretty soon. These kind of mistakes get GMs fired, and force a future GM to add value to trade away the contract. Yes, certain amount of risk has to be taken when you reach a threshold. Question is, are we there yet?

In recent times, teams like Dallas and Portland have made deep postseason runs, and are now out of the playoffs. We just made the postseason after 17 years. We need to ensure we go there consistently.

Fortunately, many teams in the West have shot themselves in the foot. Dallas will be in trouble, particularly if Kyrie leaves. Portland seems destined for mediocrity for some time. Trading Lillard might speed up the rebuild, but will still likely take some time. Suns are dangerous as long as everyone is healthy, but Paul is getting on in years, and Durant has to stay healthy. Lakers have no assets, but somehow find a way.

Despite this, it won't be easy. 12 teams in the West are still likely to compete for the top 8 spots next year. Young teams like OKC and Jazz might see big jumps. Health of players like Kawahii, George, Zion can significantly impact the standings.

We need to build around our big 3. Unless it's a no-brainer, I'm okay with not going all-in on a FA this summer. Barnes dilemma is real though. We need to decide if we want him back (likely), but at what price and in what role. If he's not coming back, who fills that role, and at what price.

Sasha's decision will also impact our decisions to some extent.

Cant agree more. No albatross contracts to guys like Grant or Kuzma but if you can get 1 or 2 mid level free agent like Reid, Hart or Washington for 15m or less but requires you to go into the tax then F'in DO IT! All I meant was if you think it'll be beneficial short and long term then don't get alligator arms all of a sudden. The franchise will increase in value more than the luxury tax as long as you don't go full warriors. Even then look at the warriors evaluation 7B!.....Im certain Monte will be smart in FA but for the first time in a long time or maybe ever I can see it actually being possible to get a few quality players to sign in FA that want to be here and not because we are the only team that will pay them.

Last edited:
Is there any way we can get back an all star level player without giving up Murray? That's the key right there, since they will definitely ask for him plus multiple draft picks.
Likely zero. You have to remember it took Haliburton for an All-Star. And at that point, Haliburton was widely considered as our future franchise face.

You might be able to get a very good player if you throw a bunch of picks, but I’m not seeing All-Star. Someone mentioned OG Anunoby

Likely zero. You have to remember it took Haliburton for an All-Star. And at that point, Haliburton was widely considered as our future franchise face.

You might be able to get a very good player if you throw a bunch of picks, but I’m not seeing All-Star. Someone mentioned OG Anunoby
I'd give a ton of picks for OG if we kept Murray.

100% these kids have huge offseasons ahead of them. I said Edwards is #2 right after Keegan on realistically what he can bring to the team next year, but I may have overlooked Davion needs to figure out how to at least be the 3 point threat that TD is when he's hot because that has to have been what kept TD on the court yesterday. I wish we had another year on TD so we could trade him, maybe we can sign and trade but I don't think I need to see him next year fun as he is when he's hot, he's just not on enough nights.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If hes a liability due to injury he shouldnt play. No excuses.
If he kept suffering a sore knee or bad feet, that's one thing. He got smacked on the hand and got it broken (like Fox and Murray) and gutted it out the whole season while making the All Star team and being the league's leading rebounder and a double-double machine. In the PO he got intentionally stomped by a huge human being right in the chest. Then he got elbowed in the eye for a shiner. These are injuries caused by others and he played through them all to help the team.

Are you sure you don't want to re-examine your statement?

That's like you getting hit by a car and then your boss thinks of firing you because you are injury prone. :rolleyes:

So we get Grant or Lavine and devalue monk and Murray that’s a garbage move murray would get 8-10 shots a game while those two jack shots up will giving us minimal defense it’s not a winning strategy. Dude left a playoff contender in denver to be the “man” in Detroit on the same salary you want a guy that values “being the man” instead of being the third man behind Murray/Jokic to win rings I sure don’t
Murray getting 8-10 shots a game would be based on him still not being willing to shoot against tight defenses or play calls. There's plenty of room for shots. If anything it would condense a lineup and strengthen it.

I don't think we need a volume shooter; just a clutch one. Someone with a do or die attitude, and with a little edge. Mad Max still around?
It's not about volume shooting as much as it's about shot creation. Whether that's for themselves or others. And the Kings already have the most clutch player in the league for the clutch moments. He's needs another weapon so he doesn't literally have to just about destroy himself to pull out wins.

Bring Sasha over and hope that his talents shine in the NBA at a high high level. I mean, this is a possibility
For sure. And there's enough video to show Sasha pretty much getting every shot you can. Floaters. Post ups. Step backs. The only thing is can he get his own or is he another DHO guy? I think he can easily get his own offense if allowed to. I was watching a clip on youtube last night with couple Euroleague armchair experts. They didn't sound so high on Sasha being all that great in the NBA. Especially if he's a spot shooter. The questions of whether or not he's a SF or PF also came up. I still think with his game he can be a huge plus and might carve out a space that could change a lot of what the team looks like once Brown gets used to him. Monte better be careful not to stack too much money into whatever spot Sasha plays. Might be a waste of coin when Sasha takes the minutes for himself.

Yeah, never ever ever ask for the Warriors. They’re going to somehow someway to find a way to come back next season just as in tact as they always do.
The way the Warriors were able to change the narrative and make Sabonis a dirty player and have media screaming for the refs to bail the Warriors out.....no thank you. That's a lot to overcome. Plus, we need our guys healthy heading to the next round. Warriors would be out there breaking more bones and stomping on people's chests.

For sure. And there's enough video to show Sasha pretty much getting every shot you can. Floaters. Post ups. Step backs. The only thing is can he get his own or is he another DHO guy? I think he can easily get his own offense if allowed to. I was watching a clip on youtube last night with couple Euroleague armchair experts. They didn't sound so high on Sasha being all that great in the NBA. Especially if he's a spot shooter. The questions of whether or not he's a SF or PF also came up. I still think with his game he can be a huge plus and might carve out a space that could change a lot of what the team looks like once Brown gets used to him. Monte better be careful not to stack too much money into whatever spot Sasha plays. Might be a waste of coin when Sasha takes the minutes for himself.
Are they the same guys that didn’t think Luka would translate as well?

Yeah people need to wrap their head around that fact. If you want a OG/Siakam/Bridges/Lavine/Beal, Keegan is in every single one of those trades.

Yeah people need to wrap their head around that fact. If you want a OG/Siakam/Bridges/Lavine/Beal, Keegan is in every single one of those trades.

the other thing to consider is if you make a trade like that and tie up a bunch of your picks that is often worse than having no cap space. Really tough to improve the team if you can’t draft anybody or make trades

Siakam for sure. I'm not totally sure on the other guys though. The dangerous thing is adding like 3 firsts to someone like Keegan. This is also assuming other teams are high enough on Keegan as a prospect that he would highlight a package to beat out the other options. If there are any. I think if all of these names are out there this summer, there might not be enough teams bidding for any package to get that far out and crazy. At least hopefully not. We'll see but it could be a buyers market in this case because I doubt these teams would be looking to swap these names for one another which is always the thing that screws up teams looking to use rebuild pieces as their main goods.

Siakam for sure. I'm not totally sure on the other guys though. The dangerous thing is adding like 3 firsts to someone like Keegan. This is also assuming other teams are high enough on Keegan as a prospect that he would highlight a package to beat out the other options. If there are any. I think if all of these names are out there this summer, there might not be enough teams bidding for any package to get that far out and crazy. At least hopefully not. We'll see but it could be a buyers market in this case because I doubt these teams would be looking to swap these names for one another which is always the thing that screws up teams looking to use rebuild pieces as their main goods.
Honestly after His rebound in the playoffs there is no way I am trading Keegan for any of those guys. His ceiling could be much higher than we know.

At this point I am intrigued by Naz Reid and Kyle Kuzma in free agency. I really like Josh Hart, but he might be redundant with Huerter and Monk on the roster.