What Did Rudy Gay Mean By This?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'll give it a go...

Based on recent events he could be talking about Philly and Phoenix both losing Game 7s by 20+ points while taking 35-40% of their shots behind the 3pt line. It's especially egregious when you consider that both of those teams have franchise big men in the middle and elite shot-creators on the perimeter. Surely they can come up with a more creative strategy than "let it fly and see what happens" in an elimination game?

Or he could be talking about the next generation of would-be stars who are so confident that they've arrived that they're spending their free time posting about themselves online (to tragi-comic results in the case of one Ja Morant) instead of quietly getting in the gym every day working on their game and actually earning that label like he had to?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I mean there are lots of things he could be referring to as of late.

Ja Morant
Embiid throwing his role player teammates under the bus after the loss despite him not showing up
The firing of successful coaches…..Nurse, Budz but especially Monte Williams who I believe is well regarded by players
Could be the the live by the 3 die by the 3 mentality now….I mean, some of these playoff games are just boring and they shouldn’t be

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Heliocentric basketball isn’t as fun to watch as team ball. You marvel at the talent but it still gets old. The Lakers and Nuggets are the most watchable remaining teams in my opinion.
It's still most certainly a stars league but the thing I miss the most is being able to create different types of teams. You had teams with dominant post bigs, or flashy scorers, or true PG's, defensive teams, etc. Now it's all the same basically. I loved the Suns with Barkley back in the day. On the other end of the spectrum my other favorite team was the Knicks. One team was shooting, speed, pretty much a precursor to todays game. The other was a bruiser. Mean, huge. I miss the variation.

I'll give it a go...

Based on recent events he could be talking about Philly and Phoenix both losing Game 7s by 20+ points while taking 35-40% of their shots behind the 3pt line.
Game 6 for the Suns, this is similar when Greg Popovich said something similar but the true meaning of it was it's not fun not winning without Duncan/Parker/Gino carrying any group of scrubs. Rudy Gay can't even match Jeff Green anymore who he was better than for most of his career.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the reality here is, some players and fans will not like the current product and others will, its a matter of what generation you grew up watching and playing in, in my opinion. With the rules and officiating, playing defense is nearly impossible and a lot of these stats these players get used to be really fancy and clean until a lot more players started putting up absurd numbers then it got to the point where a triple double used to be seen as a rare occurrence and now it's just a "meh" moment. I've watched the NBA for over two decades and this is the first time since the mid to early 2000s that I can count only on three fingers of players that I like watching.

I posted this video in the NBA comments thread but I'll post it again here

My theory about this tweet (and I'm pretty confident this is true) is he's talking about how we get to game 7's in seemingly close series and then there's complete meltdowns in the 3rd quarter, and teams are winning game 7 by 40..

In the past 7-game series seemed a bit more competitive. We somehow managed to have a bunch of anti-climactic 7 game series.. "Game Seven" is supposed to be 'the best 2 words in sports' and the NBA playoffs just hasnt been able to deliver recently like it used to in that regard.

Honestly the Kings are part of that trend. We fought so hard, n looked like we could make such crazy comebacks but in that game 7 third Q I posted in the game thread "we deserve to lose for this" and we did, and they did lose and it was far from graceful, far from our best effort.

Like idk, I dont like hearing Sabonis say the ball bounced the other way and they got all the 50/50 balls, sounds like chumming the waters for suckers to believe to me... That crap to me is the New NBA that Rudy's hating on. Go grab the ball and stop making excuses for getting outplayed, make your layups, stop turning the ball over so much, make your wide open 17-footers that the defense is daring you to shoot, that crap has nothing to do with 50/50 balls.

Players losing by 40 and got too much pride to say we got our asses kicked, when everyone knows it. There's too much money at stake everyone is out there trying to posture for big contracts, players care about the $$$ much more than winning and it shows.

Look at the flipside of the equation.. look at how much having Richaun Holmes contract as dead weight here hurt us this season.. Thats part of the New NBA too.. I always laugh at these advanced stats people ---- $$$$$$$$$ is the most important stat, has been for decades, will continue to be for centuries.

PHX has gone down like suckers in the last playoffs, though this year they were injured.. I truly think Rudy is talking bout that sorta stuff... This tweet is from May 14th, right after Boston completely destroyed Philly in game 7...

Look at the Dallas Mavs this year, went out like complete suckers in the regular season..

We had a lot of teams blatantly tanking this season... you've gotta be a real sicko if u like listening to doris burke kiss coach pops butt at every chance and yet wouldnt ever call him out by name for tanking. Things are just so biased these days, things were always biased, but nowadays its more so as people are so connected thru the internet, no one wants to step on someone elses toes. It's lame.

N dont even get me started about Ja Morant flashing guns on Instagram... That crap is probably the stupidest of them all.. An actual stain on the league...

Last edited:

this is the new NBA. Mr "always makes the right basketball play" blows a wide open dunk trying for style points IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

In this very same game theres a sequence where Jokic and LeBron exchange flops!!! Thats the new NBA.

IDK I like college basketball SO much better, the players are hungrier, the NBA is like watching a bunch of well fed nobles fight over who gets to eat the 3rd course of dessert. Best thing about the NBA is the draft/offseason, the reason is thats where we find the newblood to overthrow the boring powers that be.

Crowds are so much better in college too, the Kings have hands down the best crowd but in the playoffs the 2nd half starts and theres so many empty seats, grown folks cant compete with drunken college kids.. Having a really loud crowd in the NBA means great players like Steph Curry are gonna take immense pride in trying to silence it, which certainly manifested in that game 7, a loud crowd in college is far more effective at unnerving opponents..

JUST LOOK at the Bulls-Raptors play in game with DeRozans daughter shreiking during FT's, sorry to say but that one little girl had more of an affect than our noise did, Fox couldnt hear coach browns playcalls AT HOME cuz the fans paid so much for their tickets they wanna scream every second..... THATS the NEW NBA... craps kinda lame..

Last edited: