We will avoid San Antonio in the playoffs if...

...Houston beats Denver tonight, and the Kings win at least one of their remaining three matches.

At this point, with a playoffs spot clinched, most of us would like to avoid the 7th spot and the matchup with San Antonio that comes alongside with it (it's highly unlikely that #7 will play Phoenix, because that would require San Antonio to go 3-0 and Phoenix 0-3 for the upcoming games).

I'll explain why the above conditions are enough. Suppose after the criteria are met, the worst case outcomes would be:
- SAC going 1-2, ending with 50-32
- HOU going 3-0, ending with 51-31
- DEN going 2-1, ending with 50-32
As you see, SAC and DEN would be in a tie, record-wise. For clarification, let's rephrase the tiebreakers criteria.

1. TWO-WAY TIES
a. Results of games against each other.
Since SAC won the season series with DEN 2-1, SAC will clinch the tie, and acquire 6th seed. All of the following tiebreaker criteria will not be important anymore!
b. Better winning percentage within own conference.
c. Better winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
d. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference.
e. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in opposite conference.
f. Better point differential between offense and defense.

Oh, but what if, say, Houston went 2-1, and they ended with a 50-32 record as well? Then we would have a three-way tie. Other possible three-way is SAC going 0-3, HOU 1-2, DEN 1-2, so that all three teams end at 49-33.

What happens then? Again, let's take a look at the tiebreaker criteria:

2. MORE THAN TWO TEAMS TIED
a. If applicable, division champions must be determined first.
Not applicable here.
b. Best cumulative winning percentage in total games involving all teams tied.
The important matches are:
SAC-DEN 2-1
SAC-HOU 2-2
HOU-DEN 1-1 (The series clincher is tonight)
If Houston wins, the records involving all teams would be:
1. HOU 4-3 (see *)
2. SAC 4-3
3. DEN 2-4
If Denver wins, and all three teams end into a tie, then no worries either:
1. SAC 4-3
2. DEN 3-3
3. HOU 3-4
As you can see, in case a three-way tie occurs, SAC will never get 7th seed, no matter what.
c. Best winning percentage within own conference.
(*) Houston has a better conference record, for them to lose this advantage, they would have to go 0-3 and SAC to go 3-0. Then a tie would never happen. So, in case of a tie between HOU and SAC, HOU will clinch the tie.
d. Best winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
e. Best winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference.
f. Best point differential between offense and defense.

In case Denver does win tonight, and the three teams do not tie, well, it just boils down to the remaining results. I'll take a new look after tonight's match(es). But since Houston has a better conference record, the Kings will want to avoid a tie at 6th place.

In conclusion; root for Houston tonight! And for the Kings of course ;)

Last edited:
We lose before we see them. I really don't understand all the hand wringing about the seeding. The goal is the championship. I don't care who we face. I just hope we keep winning games. I don't want to extend the season by playing inferior foes. I want to extend the season by beating playoff teams.

Can you imagine where we'd be without that Webber trade? Webber would probably be hurt, Peja would suck, Brad would have found another way to miss 20 games. Yikes. Thank you Skinner, Corliss, and Kenny.

Update after Hou bt. Den, and Pho bt. SAC.

Standings:
5. Houston 49-31
6. Sacramento 49-31
7. Denver 48-32

Sacramento will avoid 7th seed if
- they win one match, out of the remainder (see title post: Denver cannot overtake Sacramento then). Doable, since they will face Utah. Houston did their work, now Sacramento needs to do theirs!
- Denver loses at least one match, out of the remainder (@PHO, POR)

Houston will avoid 7th seed if
- they win just one match out of the remainder (LAC, SEA)
- they win just as much as Sacramento will do for the remainder

Denver will avoid 7th seed if
- Sacramento loses both remaining matches, AND Denver wins both of their remaining matches
- Houston loses both remaining matches, AND Denver wins both of their remaining matches

Basically, The Kings and the Rockets control their own fates, because winning one match will ensure them a 6th seed at the very least.

Denver on the other hand, needs to win both, and depends on the Kings and Rockets as well. The odds are against them.

Kajun said:
Update after Hou bt. Den, and Pho bt. SAC.

Standings:
5. Houston 49-31
6. Sacramento 49-31
7. Denver 48-32

Sacramento will avoid 7th seed if
- they win one match, out of the remainder (see title post: Denver cannot overtake Sacramento then). Doable, since they will face Utah. Houston did their work, now Sacramento needs to do theirs!

Houston will avoid 7th seed if
- they win just one match out of the remainder (LAC, SEA)
- they win just as much as Sacramento will do for the remainder

Denver will avoid 7th seed if
- Sacramento loses both remaining matches, AND Denver wins both of their remaining matches
- Houston loses both remaining matches, AND Denver wins both of their remaining matches

Basically, The Kings and the Rockets control their own fates, because winning one match will ensure them a 6th seed at the very least.

Denver on the other hand, needs to win both, and depends on the Kings and Rockets as well. The odds are against them.
juz dont get ahead of yourself cuz the jazz beat the spurs... and the kings wont have peja that night... but we do face the jazz with a tougher team so they should not be able bully the kings...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Also, we will avoid San Antonio in the playoffs if Denver beats them in the first round. And Denver's been on quite a hot streak.

well we still have to win one more game...and the Jazz like the Lakers and like the Blazers have nothing to play for but won't roll over easily...they are a tough team and they will battle...they did beat the Spurs the other day and was with TD back...though I think it was just luck for them...they won by just two points...and neither team really lit up the score board...that CAN and hopefully will be the win for us...but we can't come out and play like the ATL Hawks of the west...i expect the team to be ready to ball..back to team play with their shots falling...and at least show a little bit of interest defensively (starters!) But all in all I'm just ready for the POs to start just so we know exactly who will be back for us

i would rather be the 6th seed anyway. Once Brad, Peja, Bobby are back we will make our run. Seattle and their inexperience will get rolled by the Kings.

Spurs will beat the nuggets , it will be close but the spurs will win their first round series.

hrdboild said:
Also, we will avoid San Antonio in the playoffs if Denver beats them in the first round. And Denver's been on quite a hot streak.