Vlade's journey to the Hall of Fame (merged)

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date
N

NBC Sports BayArea

Editor's note: This is Part 1 of our two-part look at Vlade Divac and his incredible journey from the hills of Yugoslavia to pro basketball immortality. A one-of-a kind character who chased windmills, changed the game and opened doors for generations of others, Divac will enter the Hall of Fame this week. An unassuming star, Vlade Divac has made his way through the basketball world, changing the game one stop at a time.

Continue reading...

N

NBC Sports BayArea

Editor's note: This is Part 2 of our two-part look at Vlade Divac and his incredible journey from the hills of Yugoslavia to pro basketball immortality. A one-of-a kind character who chased windmills, changed the game and opened doors for generations of others, Divac will enter the Hall of Fame this week. Twenty-one years ago, the Sacramento Kings were on the cusp of being sold to the Maloof family, and Mitch Richmond, their lone star player, was looking for a way out of town.

Continue reading...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you didn't watch the Kings when Vlade first came to the team, it's hard to explain the feelings that swept through Arco Arena. The excitement was tangible, the air electric with the energy of the fans that flowed to the players...and back again.

It was a special time - one I truly didn't think would ever come again. But I just might have been wrong. Vlade has brought that feeling back to the Kings and their fans. It's exciting again...

Thank you Vlade Divac. I was at your jersey retirement ceremony and I hope I can be at G1C to celebrate your induction into the Hall of Fame. It's been an exciting journey so far and I firmly believe the best is yet to come.

It's a great time to be a Kings fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Divac will enter the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame for his contributions to the International game, but also for his pioneering spirit and his years wearing Kings purple and black. While the Kings didn't win a ring during his playing career, Divac is the first Hall representative from the greatest eight-year run during the franchise's Sacramento era.

Divac also will represent Serbia and even the Lakers in the Hall, but there's no question he'll walk into Springfield as a king of Kings.
That pretty much says it all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And this is why I have the utmost respect for Vlade Divac:

"Basketball is like life and life is like basketball. It's just a game. So let's play the best we can while we are still here with love, compassion, selflessness, fair play and supporting each other to be bigger and better human beings."
Vlade Divac Sept. 6, 2019