Typo???

http://www.wnba.com/transactions/WNBA_2005.html

2005 WNBA Transactions

May 9
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Ruthie Bolton.
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Jessie Hicks.
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Ugo Oha.
The Washington Mystics have waived Courtney Coleman.
The Washington Mystics have waived Tiffany Williams.
The Houston Comets have waived Jenni Dant.
The Indiana Fever have waived Mauri Horton.
The Sacramento Monarchs have waived Anne O'Neil.
The Los Angeles Sparks have waived Nicole Kaczmarski.
The Connecticut Sun have waived Jennifer Lacy.

Oh man, oh man, oh man... my belly just did a flip-flop. Not "waive" her, please. Let her announce her retirement. Kick her upstairs. Don't waive her.

Please be another of those ludicrous wnba.com mistakes.

I'm bummed.

HoopMatron

It's true...

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/12863152p-13712514c.html

Monarchs release Ruthie Bolton
By Bee Sports Staff
Published 3:30 pm PDT Monday, May 9, 2005

Ruthie Bolton, one of the original members of the Sacramento Monarchs, was released Monday by the team, ending her eight-year career in the WNBA.

Bolton, who will turn 38 later this month, was a free agent but had signed a training camp contract to battle for a spot on the roster. Because Bolton was not expected to start this season and a veteran player's minimum contract in the WNBA is $45,427, Bolton was likely released to keep younger players for less money.

"Some of my friends told me I didn't have anything left to prove," Bolton told The Bee before training camp. "But when I retire, I want it out of my system. I've still got the itch to play."

Bolton, a two-time Olympian, had her best year with the Monarchs in the inaugural 1997 season when she averaged 19.4 points a game. Her minutes played along with scoring average dipped in the last two seasons. She averaged 4.7 and 13.8 minutes in 2004.

The Monarchs also announced today that Bolton will remain within the franchise as part of the "front office team." She also plans to continue as coach at William Jessup University in Rocklin.

And more here...

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3159381

Monarchs release Ruthie Bolton, offer her fan relations position

05/09/05 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Sacramento Monarchs

SACRAMENTO, CALIF., May 9, 2005 – The Sacramento Monarchs today announced that the organization has released long-time Monarchs Guard Ruthie Bolton and offered her a fan relations position with the Monarchs front office. A two-time Olympic Gold Medalist and two-time WNBA All-Star, Bolton averaged 10.0 points, 1.9 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 1.2 steals, and 23.4 minutes in 218 regular-season games over eight seasons with the Sacramento Monarchs.

Bolton was signed by the WNBA and then assigned to the Monarchs in the initial player allocation. Since then, she has been a mainstay for the franchise, starting in nearly half of her regular season games in the WNBA. During her extensive playing career, Bolton helped the Monarchs advance to the WNBA Playoffs five times (1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004) including three trips to the Western Conference Finals (2001, 2003, 2004). One of the great shooters of the league, Bolton currently is ranked the WNBA’s fifth all-time leader in three pointers made (315) and in 2004, ranked tenth in three-point field goal percentage (.405). Bolton was named to the First-Team All WNBA in 1997 and was the first-ever WNBA Player of the Week.

“We have been proud to have Ruthie Bolton represent the Monarchs, Maloof Sports and Entertainment and the City of Sacramento for the past eight years,” said Joe and Gavin Maloof, Co-Owners of the Sacramento Monarchs. “There is no way that we can thank her for all that she has given us. We hope that she will decide to continue on with the Monarchs.”

“For so many years Ruthie has been a constant on this team. You could always count on Ruthie to come out and play hard,” said Monarchs General Manager and Head Coach John Whisenant. “This was a very tough decision, the worst part of my job. Ruthie will be missed and we wish her the best.”

“The Monarchs organization has been great to me over the last eight years and they continue to offer me new opportunities with the organization,” said Ruthie Bolton. “If I can keep on playing I want to try, but I am also very interested and very excited about the offer to work with the fans and the front office, regardless of what may happen to me on the court.”

“Ruthie’s contributions both on and off the court to the Sacramento Monarchs over the last eight years are immeasurable,” said Senior Director of Marketing and Monarchs Business Operations Danette Leighton. “The passion and leadership that Ruthie showed on the court is exactly the reason why we have offered her a position in the front office.”

A long-time resident of the Sacramento Valley, in 2004, Bolton began to look beyond her playing career and parlayed her playing experience into a head coaching job at William Jessup University (formerly San Jose Christian College) where four of her Lady Warriors earned United States Collegiate Athletic Association All-American honors.

HoopMatron said:
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3159381

“We have been proud to have Ruthie Bolton represent the Monarchs, Maloof Sports and Entertainment and the City of Sacramento for the past eight years,” said Joe and Gavin Maloof, Co-Owners of the Sacramento Monarchs. “There is no way that we can thank her for all that she has given us. We hope that she will decide to continue on with the Monarchs.”

“For so many years Ruthie has been a constant on this team. You could always count on Ruthie to come out and play hard,” said Monarchs General Manager and Head Coach John Whisenant. “This was a very tough decision, the worst part of my job. Ruthie will be missed and we wish her the best.”

“The Monarchs organization has been great to me over the last eight years and they continue to offer me new opportunities with the organization,” said Ruthie Bolton. “If I can keep on playing I want to try, but I am also very interested and very excited about the offer to work with the fans and the front office, regardless of what may happen to me on the court.”
Not too hard to read between the lines here...

HoopMatron said:
Not "waive" her, please. Let her announce her retirement. Kick her upstairs. Don't waive her.
There is no way in the world that Ruthie Bolton will be forced into a retirement. She and Jerry Rice are from the same state, Mississippi. Both are stubborn as hell. She is going to look for another team, I guarantee it.

You can't force someone to retire if they still want to play. I hope she decides to take the front office job and still stay a part of the organization she is so intricately identified with. I'd hate to see her go the route of Teresa Weatherspoon and Jennifer Gillom and get lost on the end of somebody else's bench for the final year of her career.

Other than that, the move today was not surprising. It's sad, but not surprising.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I agree, MBF. I do NOT want to see her play with another team like T-Spoon and Grandmama did. It was very sad.

Ruthie, you are loved by so many in Sacramento. Please, please, please retire from playing and take the job upstairs. You have been doing a PR job for the Monarchs for years. Now get paid for it.

Last edited:
nancgo said:
http://www.wnba.com/transactions/WNBA_2005.html

2005 WNBA Transactions

May 9
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Ruthie Bolton.
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Jessie Hicks.
The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Ugo Oha.
The Washington Mystics have waived Courtney Coleman.
The Washington Mystics have waived Tiffany Williams.
The Houston Comets have waived Jenni Dant.
The Indiana Fever have waived Mauri Horton.
The Sacramento Monarchs have waived Anne O'Neil.
The Los Angeles Sparks have waived Nicole Kaczmarski.
The Connecticut Sun have waived Jennifer Lacy.
How many times can poor Anne O'Neil get waived????

I think they were refering to Giuliana. Boy does WNBA.com suck sometimes.
And I think the the Fan relations job is perfect for Ruthie. At least she really cares about us as fans and will do the job with a high level of energy.
Yes it is very sad indeed, but she has a career to be very proud of.

Ruthie has been the face of this franchise from the beginning. I remember seeing her picture on a bus stop promoting the Monarchs back in 1997, I just wanted to steal that picture!:cool: I do have a framed autographed jersey and an autographed pair of her Olympic training shoes - my MOST prized Monarchs memorabilia.

It will be sad not to see #6 out there.....But she'll always be a Monarch....

Best wishes to one of my all time favorite players...wnba & Olylmpic. Ruthie has always been a class act. I give props to the Maloofs for keeping the Heart & Soul of the womens game here. If she can play else where, im sure the offer will be on the table for her, when she's ready. No doubt i will miss ''MIGHTY RUTHIE''

Just got this in my email :( :

[font=arial,]Dear Monarchs MVPs,[/font]

[font=arial,]It is with mixed emotions that today I announce the conclusion of my playing career with the Sacramento Monarchs. The opportunity to be a part of the Sacramento Monarchs for the past eight years and to be a part of history in the making, including the inaugural WNBA season, was a true blessing.[/font]

[font=arial,]The Monarchs organization has offered me a fan relations position with the front office, and while I am very interested and very excited about the offer to work with the fans and the front office, regardless of what may happen to me on the court, I am not ready to 'hang up my shoes' just yet. If I can keep on playing I want to try. The Monarchs have been great to me over the last eight years and they continue to offer me new opportunities with the organization.[/font]

[font=arial,]I want to thank you for your love, support and enthusiasm over the past eight years. You are truly the best fans in the WNBA and this team, organization and city will always be close to my heart. Thank you for an incredible eight years![/font]

[font=arial,]Please continue to support the Monarchs, it is fans like you that allow girls to continue to go after their dreams![/font]

[font=arial,]Ruthie Bolton[/font]

[font=arial,]

[/font]

It was just on Channel 3, Coach Whiz, Ruthie, Danette (?) and Jerry Reynolds. Ruthie's statement was something like:

"No matter what happens, I'll always in my heart be a part of the Monarchs and to me seeing the young girls even on this team - seeing Nicole, Haynie and Chelsea - seeing them getting ready to fulfill their dreams. I'm proud of them and I know in some capacity whether I'm here or wherever I go, I'll always be an advocate for young girls and them fulfilling their dreams"

Last edited:
Ruthie was on with Koz last night. She said shes going to take some time to see what she wants to do. If she wants to retire or give it a go with a new team. She was pretty upbeat. She kept thanking all of us Monarch fans and others.

It was classy Ruthie all the way!!

Thank you RUTHIE for 7 great years!!!!!!!!

I don't ever post in hear just because I'm not a fan of the women's game. But, I was riding the stationary bike next to Ruthie yesterday and she was on her blackberry the entire time talking to someone(I would assume her agent) and she kept mentioning New York. Thought I would put in my two cents.

I wish Ruthie would just not be so stubborn and realize that it is time to retire. Like others on here have already said, I don't want to see her wasting time riding the pine for one season with another team. That would be hard to watch. She could contribute so much more just staying with the M's organization.

RoyalDiva said:
I wish Ruthie would just not be so stubborn and realize that it is time to retire. Like others on here have already said, I don't want to see her wasting time riding the pine for one season with another team. That would be hard to watch.
I have to disagree. Ruthie’s number totals decreased over the years, but so did her minutes. But if you look at her shooting percentages, they remained in the same range. In fact, her 3-pt. percentage last year was the highest of her career. I am not saying she is the offensive force she was in years past, but she is still in phenomenal shape, is still quick defensively, has an incredible depth of experience and could conceivably find a team that could utilize her talents. I would feel horrible too if she ended up on a team where she was a bench player with scrap minutes, but I think she deserves the opportunity to see if there is a team she would fit on.
RoyalDiva said:
She could contribute so much more just staying with the M's organization.
I have to think that the Maloofs and Monarchs benefit much more from the association than whatever they offered her. Ruthie is a grown woman with bills to pay just like the rest of us. If she can make more money playing for another team, or overseas, or whatever she chooses to do, then more power to her. I'm sure Ruthie will continue to active in the community whether it's through the Monarchs or not.

As a Monarchs fan, I want Ruthie to retire and stay with the Monarchs and have her jersey retired next season. But as a Ruthie fan, I support whatever she feels she has to do.

I don't think it so much is stubborness...I can't remember who this was, but I want to say it was somebody in the NFL recently...who talked about the factors going into his decision whether or not to retire. He said he wanted to make sure he had picked the right time and didn't go out before he was truly done and had nothing left in him to play. Ruthie's been talking like this for two years now, and especially after the playoff exit last year - she kept talking about "not wanting to go out like that" I can't say she's got absolutely nothing left to offer somebody - it was time for the Monarchs to move into another direction rather and get more shooters on this team. I don't want to see her playing with anybody else tho - but that's a piece of selfishness on my part.

Reading Yo's comments today - it sounds like she sees the talent in camp and likes the change, although it also seems like she feels a little older now and that it was a lot of change at once. But from a pure talent perspective, I honestly don't think we've ever had this much talent in training camp. Ever. I know Maura used to invite people she coached before in the ABL or somewhere, so her camps were rarely based around needing to fill holes or needs. I think having an infusion of new people is good, especially those who are as hungry as this group played on Friday.

I'm glad she still has some fight left, but at the same time.......And I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but if another team wanted her, wouldn't they have already come a courtin'????? Spoon and GranMama didn't do much in LA, and I felt bad for them. They had their turns and they were great for their teams. They all made history in that first year by just showing up. Since the league has been around for awhile now, the current rookies have grown up looking up to these trailblazers, knowing they had a professional league they could aspire to participate in. They're fighting for a spot now too. Hopefully Ruthie will know what she needs to do, and be at peace with that decision......

I think you have a point there Nancgo and that's pretty much the reason why she had to sign a training camp invitee contract to come here - nobody else had come callin' so Whiz invited her to show her wares in case the kids didn't pan out.

But now that teams have started to make their cuts, some team which has (1) cap room to take on what they'd have to pay her under the CBA and (2) a need for and roster room for a veteran role player in their back court can maybe give her one more year. I haven't looked at NY's situation to see what they have there but they might have room. Andrea Stintson had been sitting around after being uninvited in Charlotte and she was picked up today by Detroit. Her situation last year was tough to watch, she was not too far removed from her Allstar days and to see her relegated to the end of the bench on her own team was hard.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Still JD said:
Another suggestion from today's Bee...

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/12872534p-13721706c.html

I also thought that, while I'm not completely clear on what Monique's role as assistant coach is, during the season they could have Ruthie be an assistant coach and work with the guards and Monique work with the bigs. I guess I'm just searching for a solution that keeps Ruthie here.
Now, I really like this idea. It fits Ruthie and her passion.