Tyler Lydon

Lydon played two years at Syracuse as sort of a tweener. They used him at both the SF and PF positions. I personally think he's better suited for the PF position. He was a very good 3 pt shooter at Syracuse averaging 40% from the three both years he was there. He was a decent to good rebounder and maybe a slightly above average athlete. I always thought he was a bit overweight at Syracuse. He was drafted by Utah if memory serves and traded to Denver. I don't think he got much of a chance to play at Denver, so the jury is still out.

I always thought that if he could get into NBA shape, he could be a player. He certainly has the skills to play in the NBA. He's certainly worth taking a small gamble on since he's still young, and has good size at 6'9.5" and around a 7 ft wingspan. I would expect the Kings to sign Holmes now that their above the cap.
Is it just me or did he get out of shape?? Injuries could've played a role, but he looks very sluggish.

These Syracuse prospects keep disappointing in the NBA. Jonny Flynn, Wesley Johnson, Dion Waiters, Fab Melo(rip), MCW, Tyler Ennis, Rakeem Christmas, Malachi Richardson, and now Lydon. You have to go back 16 years ago to Melo to find a Syracuse prospect who panned out. I guess to be fair to those names, Waiters and MCW have had solid NBA careers, but just never reached their potential. Boheim likes to target those 4 year players, but man.. let's steer clear from Syracuse prospects.

Is it just me or did he get out of shape?? Injuries could've played a role, but he looks very sluggish.

These Syracuse prospects keep disappointing in the NBA. Jonny Flynn, Wesley Johnson, Dion Waiters, Fab Melo(rip), MCW, Tyler Ennis, Rakeem Christmas, Malachi Richardson, and now Lydon. You have to go back 16 years ago to Melo to find a Syracuse prospect who panned out. I guess to be fair to those names, Waiters and MCW have had solid NBA careers, but just never reached their potential. Boheim likes to target those 4 year players, but man.. let's steer clear from Syracuse prospects.
Jerami Grant is really solid. Otherwise, yea. Syracuse products have been pretty bad.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I looked up his stats and was summarily unimpressed, but the highlight video makes me feel a little better. If he is healthy and athletic and can backup and scrimmage as a stretch forward I guess he is worth a flyer. Seems odd to give him a two year deal though. Maybe Vlade likes Syracuse players, we had another one in summer league (forget his name though, hah).

Hey I look at it as our 1st round pick we didn’t have this year that has gotten some experience and strength.

I would like to believe that Vlade has scouted him and with his other moves believe as I have said that last spot would more likely be a combo forward.

Will he work out? Who knows but I hope he can give us some minutes at small forward.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Actually, I don't think that's a thing. The Room MLE comes into play once a team drops below the cap (which we clearly did to sign Dedmon/Joseph/Ariza) and is not dependent on a team spending back up all the way to the cap.

So I'm still not entirely sure why we did this. It's possible that neither year is guaranteed. But as a 15th contract, he doesn't seem to fill a major need - we would effectively have 7 big men in Bagley/Giles/Dedmon/Bjelica/Holmes/Swanigan/Lydon - and he stands in the way of us being able to put either Guy or Gabriel on a full NBA contract. Unless we've got a deal for Bjelica lined up, I don't really get it.
I could actually see Bjelica getting moved before the deadline.

I could actually see Bjelica getting moved before the deadline.
Agree there will be further changes but unless someone special pops up this just may be our team until the trade season opens up at the end of the year. I can see a few players that may be moved at that time and maybe one of our new members also if they don’t pan out.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
that would mean the only big who can spread the floor is Dedmon. or is everyone who is eager to trade Bjelica think Holmes, Giles and Bagley will be able to do so?
Not sure what your responding to, but I'm assuming its the trading Bjelica comment. If indeed we do move Bjelica, remember that one of Lydon's main skills was his ability to shoot the three. Plus, I fully expect to see both Bagley and Giles improve in that area.

In regards to moving Bjelica, it's possible that the Kings have a trade in the works and signing Lydon is insurance in the spread the floor dept.

We can have 20 contracts if we want right now. Needs to be 15 when the season starts.
Yes we can sign training camp contracts but I think all 15 are guaranteed for this upcoming season?

The only contract I think the Kings would cut and pay out to free a roster spot for a better min contract player might be Swan

Last edited:
Yes we can sign training camp contracts but I think all 15 are guaranteed for this upcoming season?

The only contract I think the Kings would cut and pay out to free a roster spot for a better min contract player might be Swan
We can have 20+ guaranteed. Doesn't matter till the season starts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

To be honest, I thought he was a bit out of shape at Syracuse, and if memory serves, he had one of the highest fat content percentages at the combine. I always felt that if he replaced that fat with muscle, he could be a good player in the NBA. As you know, I'm very wary of Syracuse players, especially on the defensive side of the ball since they only play a zone there. One thing I know Lydon can do is shoot the basketball, and he has good length for the PF position. So you never know.

I guess if your Vlade, Lydon was a 1st rd pick a couple of years ago, and to be fair, he's never had a legit chance to show what he can do at the NBA level. So why not take a cheap gamble on him. If he turns into something, you have yourself a steal. What does surprise me is that the one position where we have a ton of depth already is the PF position. So it possible that there's a trade in the works, or, Vlade thinks Lydon can eventually play the SF position. Ariza isn't getting any younger, so having a heir apparent sitting in the wings isn't a bad idea.

Not sure what your responding to, but I'm assuming its the trading Bjelica comment. If indeed we do move Bjelica, remember that one of Lydon's main skills was his ability to shoot the three. Plus, I fully expect to see both Bagley and Giles improve in that area.

In regards to moving Bjelica, it's possible that the Kings have a trade in the works and signing Lydon is insurance in the spread the floor dept.
yeah it was suggestions that we are aiming to trade Bjelica. I just assumed that Lydon would not be able to stay on the floor otherwise in order to be able to strech it, but that is because Im not familiar with him other than the basketball reference stats...

We can have 20+ guaranteed. Doesn't matter till the season starts.
Why would a club sign 5 players to guaranteed contracts where you have to pay them a million salary for next season knowing you have to cut 5 players at the start of the season and eat their salary? Teams sign non-guar contracts for training camp all the time, but cut them when they dont make the team. Trust me the new players with 1st year salary guaranteed will be here unless traded during the season. Swan has guar money of 2 mil for the season, like I said his SL play has not been good and only if they had another player they want more than Swan came along would kings maybe eat his 2 mil to sign another player.

This would make a lot more sense than a 2 year guaranteed contract, when he has not shown much in the NBA.

Give Lydon a shot to see if he can stick in training camp. If he shows promise in training camp as a stretch 4, we can covert Wenyen Gabriel to a big league contract and give Lydon a 2-Way contract to develop in Stockton.

We need a backup 3 (Wenyen Gabriel) with potential, more than we need another backup PF at this point.

Gabriel just isn't a 3, his game is sadly closer to a 5 than a 3.
But I like the idea of him, Lydon, and maybe Swanigan competing for the last big spot, and the #2 getting the other 2 way.