TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m torn. As much as I enjoy getting in and out of a series, not being able to binge WandaVision brought back the exhilarating theories and debates pages I haven’t experienced since the glory days of Lost.
Also keeps viewer engagement up and buzzing longer than a single season dump model and creates general word-of-mouth growth potential.

Netflix briefly pivoted the entire entertainment industry to a binge model but every statistic would indicate that weekly release is the way to go for most "event" TV shows.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Also keeps viewer engagement up and buzzing longer than a single season dump model and creates general word-of-mouth growth potential.

Netflix briefly pivoted the entire entertainment industry to a binge model but every statistic would indicate that weekly release is the way to go for most "event" TV shows.
Maybe so, but I prefer it where I can watch a season at a time. Then I go and tell everyone how darn good of a show it is once I'm done. :) I don't want to try to keep track of this show comes out on this day on Netflix, and that one on Prime, and another on Disney+ - half the time I can't watch it on release night for whatever reason, then I forget about it for a couple days, then I start seeing spoilers online for it. What a pain in the ***. Just let me watch the stupid series and I'll sing its praises.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Maybe so, but I prefer it where I can watch a season at a time. Then I go and tell everyone how darn good of a show it is once I'm done. :)
But that's the beauty of the Disney+ series: you can still do that. The Disney+ model doesn't deprive you of the ability to do that. All you have to do is wait until after the finale drops, and then you can binge the season, at your convenience, and meanwhile, the people who don't want to do that, aren't deprived of the ability to have weekly engagement, in real time.

It seems like what you're really lamenting is the luxury to watch a series, at your convenience, and also not have to worried about being spoiled, at any point, before you get around to watching it. And, with respect, I'm not sure I agree that you're owed that. I mean, there's always going to be a non-zero amount of people who don't get around to watching a movie or a show, until way after everybody else has, and the rest of the consumers can't reasonably be expected to not talk about something, without spoilers, until they decide to make the time. As far as content being spoiled online, I think that it's unfortunate when people get, proverbially, "hit in the face" with spoilers that they weren't expecting, but I also think that people need to make a reasonable effort to protect themselves from spoilers, muting keywords and hashtags, and such. And, if the people you follow on social media don't respect your boundaries, or aren't people that you can trust to not inject spoilers into your timeline, maybe you might have to reconsider following them?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It seems like what you're really lamenting is the luxury to watch a series, at your convenience, and also not have to worried about being spoiled, at any point, before you get around to watching it. And, with respect, I'm not sure I agree that you're owed that.
I never stated I was "owed" anything - that's your words not mine. I just stated my preference. And it isn't my friends saying anything, it's websites on social media posts, etc., showing spoilers in pictures, etc., that pop up even if you don't read the articles.

I can have a preference without feeling entitled to something, you know. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You're splitting hairs and getting wrapped up in the semantics. I can recognize the behavior, because I do it, all the time. To the point that I'm making, it matters very little whether you feel, consciously, like you're owed anything. And it matters even less that you didn't "say" it. What matters is that a weekly roll out of episodes doesn't stop you from waiting until the whole season is over, and binging it all, at once. It doesn't impact your preferences, in any way. If you prefer to binge shows, you can still do that, and the rest of us still get to have our fun. There is no problem that exists, here.

I already addressed the social media/website problem: it may not be ideal for you, but you might just have to change the way you consume that stuff.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You're splitting hairs and getting wrapped up in the semantics. I can recognize the behavior, because I do it, all the time. To the point that I'm making, it matters very little whether you feel, consciously, like you're owed anything. And it matters even less that you didn't "say" it. What matters is that a weekly roll out of episodes doesn't stop you from waiting until the whole season is over, and binging it all, at once. It doesn't impact your preferences, in any way. If you prefer to binge shows, you can still do that, and the rest of us still get to have our fun. There is no problem that exists, here.

I already addressed the social media/website problem: it may not be ideal for you, but you might just have to change the way you consume that stuff.
Yes, you do. You are also ignoring the fact that, again, I am just stating a preference, and you are the one elevating it to something much more.

You are also completely ignoring that my preference for a series to drop all at once does not preclude you from watching it however you like. You can indeed freely watch one episode a day, a week, a fortnight, a lunar month, a month, a quarter, or a year to spread it out to your heart's content without impacting those of us who would prefer to binge it.

Really, please quit turning this into something it isn't. :)

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not making anything "more than it is." This is simply what happens, sometimes, when you "state your preference." You get pushback.

Maybe you thought I would just read you stating your preference, and "agree to disagree," and keep it moving. I do not do that. You've been here long enough to know that I don't do that.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm not making anything "more than it is." This is simply what happens, sometimes, when you "state your preference." You get pushback.

Maybe you thought I would just read you stating your preference, and "agree to disagree," and keep it moving. I do not do that. You've been here long enough to know that I don't do that.
Yeah, OK. Whatever you say.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Space Force (Netflix, Season 1) is actually pretty good. Steve Carell and John Malcovich star and Lisa Kudrow is along for the ride. Other than some language, it's pretty mild with anything that would be considered "objectionable" but the stereotypical characters and the situations they deal with are pretty entertaining. I've always liked Malcovich in roles like these.

Enjoyed the hell out of Station 11…weird, somber, always interesting. Started Peacemaker…really enjoying that as well, two episodes in. Very James Gunn-y and it feels weird to say, but I think John Cena is doing exceptional work in it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Season 6 of The Expanse just dropped on Prime
Just finished this one up (season 6, and apparently the last season of the show per Amazon Prime Video?). Excellent show overall, with some plot points still to be addressed (spinoff series, movie, or ???). I haven't read the books but may do so at some point - I started watching the show on a recommendation and didn't realize the show was based on a book series at first. HIGHLY recommended.

Enjoyed the hell out of Station 11…weird, somber, always interesting. Started Peacemaker…really enjoying that as well, two episodes in. Very James Gunn-y and it feels weird to say, but I think John Cena is doing exceptional work in it.
I started it then stopped…didn’t grab enough of my interest but may need to pick it back up

Been watching Archive 81 on Netflix…….James Wan is executive producer. Not a bad watch at all

And Ozark part one of the final season starts Friday! Binge watching on the to do list

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Space Force (Netflix, Season 1) is actually pretty good. Steve Carell and John Malcovich star and Lisa Kudrow is along for the ride. Other than some language, it's pretty mild with anything that would be considered "objectionable" but the stereotypical characters and the situations they deal with are pretty entertaining. I've always liked Malcovich in roles like these.
And season two was also pretty good overall. The seasons are short (with 17 episodes over 2 seasons) and each show is only about 1/2 hour I think.

Started Severance on Apple TV…..a measured beginning but starting to pick up pace. A thriller with some sci-fi aspect. Only 2 episodes so far.

Servant is still interesting but I’d like for the show to get pushed forward a little bit

Raised by Wolves season 2 has been solid

Working slowly thru Station Eleven

Euphoria season 2 has been good with the last few episodes showcasing Zendaya’s acting chops

Finished Space Force. Solid but not great for me.

On my to watch list is Reacher on Prime and Pam and Tommy on Hulu which is a must see per a friend.

Almost finished with Vikings Valhalla…..I like it quite a bit
Snowfall is great once again

Raised by Wolves hasn’t gotten even better…..and crazier

There is a new Netflix series with Toni Collette that I need to start….forgetting the title…..big fan of hers

Just watched the trailer last night for the Disney plus series Kenobi…….can’t wait for this one. Looks great.