TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Really didn't expect David Cronenberg to randomly pop up in the latest episode of Star Trek Discovery (and in a fairly significant role it seems) but in terms of surprises 2020 has sprung on me this was a pleasant one.

For all its warts over the first two season, Discovery has fully become a Star Trek show in season 3 and is all the better for it, with the new setting in the far future (in comparison with the rest of the series in the franchise) lending itself to the sense of optimism and exploration befitting the Star Trek franchise. The cast is really coming together and after two seasons the crew finally has some sense of personality (bringing in Tig Notaro to play the ship's snarky engineer may have helped in that effort).

Also Saru is rapidly climbing my all-time captain rankings in this season.

started the undoing last night. We love it. You know my wife is all in when I can get her to sit and watch 3 episodes in a row lol
Sounds familiar lol. Finding something we both can get into together is not easy. She doesn’t enjoy the excessive violence or police/detective or sci-fi I like yet she’s all in on Ozark. It’s a mystery. Last show we loved Together has been Queens Gambit

Sounds familiar lol. Finding something we both can get into together is not easy. She doesn’t enjoy the excessive violence or police/detective or sci-fi I like yet she’s all in on Ozark. It’s a mystery. Last show we loved Together has been Queens Gambit
you and I need to hang out lol
Yeah, I tried so hard to get my wife to watch ozark because I know she would love it, but she goes to bed so early and it’s a hassle trying to get her to watch stuff. I’m trying to talk her into Breaking Bad. Told her I will rewatch it , for about the 5th time, if she will watch. Last time we did something like that it was Lost, but then she faded on about season 4. Don’t see any fading with BB though. Fingers crossed.

After watching the last Few episodes of Mandalorian, I needed to get educated on some things. Disney Plus had a 20 most essential episodes of Clone Wars I watched. Was a better option then watching the what is it 130 episodes. The last part of those 20 were damn good. Now Disney plus posted the essential Asohka Tano episodes......and it has Rebels episodes. Good stuff.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
As I have already paid for the next 3 years of Disney+, I approve!

Spinoffs from Mandelorian (Ashoka, Rangers of the New Republic), Cassian Andor, Lando, WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, and others in the works and coming soon. Some of these were obviously announced earlier (a year ago) but some are new and show a renewed vigor in original series coming to bear in the streaming wars.

Disney+ to Add 10 New Star Wars Series and 10 New Marvel Shows (collider.com)

Disney Plus will add 50 new Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, and Pixar series and movies ‘over the next few years’ - The Verge

As I have already paid for the next 3 years of Disney+, I approve!

Spinoffs from Mandelorian (Ashoka, Rangers of the New Republic), Cassian Andor, Lando, WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, and others in the works and coming soon. Some of these were obviously announced earlier (a year ago) but some are new and show a renewed vigor in original series coming to bear in the streaming wars.

Disney+ to Add 10 New Star Wars Series and 10 New Marvel Shows (collider.com)

Disney Plus will add 50 new Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, and Pixar series and movies ‘over the next few years’ - The Verge
I just saw the tweet announcing the new Ashoka series with Rosario Dawson.....I’m all in on that one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
HBOMax: “All our movies will be coming out on HBO Max and in theaters at the same time! Also for some reason we’re giving you an expanded version of that Justice League movie none of you liked!”

Disney+: “hold my blue space milk”

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
HBOMax: “All our movies will be coming out on HBO Max and in theaters at the same time! Also for some reason we’re giving you an expanded version of that Justice League movie none of you liked!”

Disney+: “hold my blue space milk”
I'm almost considering that 6 month reduced cost HBOMax subscription to get the movies, but I don't know how many of them are actually coming out in those 6 months. Wonder Woman, yes (Christmas). But the rest (last I saw) didn't have dates. They will probably schedule them all for July. :mad:

I mean, $70 is what I spend to take myself, my son, and sometimes my dad to like 2-3 movies. If I can get 6 months of some decent releases, sure. But not for WW (yay!) and some crap I don't want while waiting for Matrix 4, Dune, Godzilla vs. Kong, etc., to hit the screens. Once COVID is over I'll be glad to hit the theaters again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bill Burr randomly dropping a powerhouse Vietnam War Vet performance in an episode of a Star Wars TV show is another thing I did not see happening a few years ago. The man can legitimately act.

Bill Burr randomly dropping a powerhouse Vietnam War Vet performance in an episode of a Star Wars TV show is another thing I did not see happening a few years ago. The man can legitimately act.
Rumor is that Burr and others will be part of one of the Star Wars/Mandelorian spin-offs or stand alone.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well damn. So much for The Mandalorian not being connected to the Skywalker Saga.

I spent the first thirty minutes underwhelmed and the last ten amazed that they did the whole Darth Vader walking through a dark corridor thing from Rogue One but with SPOILER NAME REDACTED instead and in a “TV show”

Last edited:
Finished up The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix this weekend. A big fan of Anya Taylor-Joy and she was outstanding in this. I’ve read possible player in the awards shows for this series. I concur. Highly recommend it.
I watch the series a few days after it first dropped. Totally agree with you, it was quite good. Even if you don‘t understand or care about chess.

Anya was phenomenal!

Well damn. So much for The Mandalorian not being connected to the Skywalker Saga.

I spent the first thirty minutes underwhelmed and the last ten amazed that they did the whole Darth Vader walking through a dark corridor thing from Rogue One but with SPOILER NAME REDACTED instead and in a “TV show”
The entire season was phenomenal. The past few episodes EPIC. But tonight’s episode was even better than that.

Nothing underwhelming to me. And it’s not fan service either (always hated that term). It actually makes logical sense considering the time these events take place.

I actually felt all along building up to this that what just happened should be what happens. Just didn’t know if they had the balls to do it.

Funny, but just the past few episodes of the Mandalorian was worlds better than the awful sequel trilogy. I can only imagine what those movies might have been had Disney put Favreau and Filoni in charge of it.

Lastly, to those that have been keeping up with the Mandalorian but have yet to see the season finale — you are here advised to avoid social media of any kind until you can sit down to watch it yourself. Because it’s going to get spoiled fast and furiously.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Had to watch The Mandelorian before my day started. It was bad ass. I’d like to say more but won’t for those who still need to watch.
FYI, in case you missed it, there is an end credits scene that was also fairly awesome.
Thanks for the heads-up! I've watched everything but the latest one, probably this weekend. This second season has been much better than the first, IMHO.