TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Stranger Things - Mildly interested in the 80s nostalgia angle. But rather repelled by horror. Any appeal to non-horror fans?
I agree with the aforementioned thought that Stranger Things is more sci fi than horror. There are very few horror elements to it, in my opinion, although I cannot deny there are a few. I binged the entire first season in one night, and I'm watching the second season now, which is good but definitely doesn't grab me the way the first season did.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yo.....been semi binge watching the first 2 seasons of Westworld this weekend, refreshing my memory in preparation for the season 3 opening episode tonight. A great, great series. Am excited to see what role Aaron Paul (Jessie from Breaking Bad) plays.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I watched season 1 and generally enjoyed it. It does take a while to gain traction but I liked it and was curious how the story would end. I've started season 2 but am only a couple of episodes in. Definitely not one to watch with kids around!!!
I finished season 2 (Altered Carbon) - I liked season 1 better. The story was tighter and the plot a bit more interesting to me. Season 1 is only 10 episodes and season 2 is only 8. Not huge commitments.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I finished season 2 (Altered Carbon) - I liked season 1 better. The story was tighter and the plot a bit more interesting to me. Season 1 is only 10 episodes and season 2 is only 8. Not huge commitments.
Just started it...pretty much agree with what you said as far as season 1 goes. I’m about halfway thru season 1

Netflix just dropped a show called Tiger King. I'm looking at this guy and going "oh cool Danny McBride has a new show?" but no. This is a docuseries about real people, one of whom could very well be Kenny Powers the tiger trainer, who keep big cats and apparently try to murder each other.

One episode in late last night but expect to watch binge this afternoon or tomorrow.

Started watching a new series on Netflix that just dropped yesterday called The English Game. It’s set in the late 1800’s and revolves around the birth of football. Historical fiction done by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame. Pretty good so far, only one episode in.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just starting the 3rd season of Runaways (Marvel) and while the first season took a while to establish itself, the 2nd and 3rd seasons have been pretty good. Still a bit too much SoCal teen angst-y for me, but overall a good show. I think this is the final season, so I'm interested to see how this series ends.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know how often this happens in other multi-show franchises, because I don't watch any of those, but it really gets on my nerves when actors who have had extended runs as a character in the JAG/NCIS universe return to the franchise years later as a character that has nothing to do with the character they originally played. First, they had Zoe McLellan, who played Jennifer Coates on JAG, returns to the universe in NCIS: New Orleans as agent Marilyn Brody. Then, Karri Turner, who played Harriet Sims on JAG, makes a return as a guest star on NCIS as another recurring character's aunt. And, most recently, Scottie Thompson, who had an extended run as Jeanne Benoit on NCIS, returns as a guest star on NCIS: Los Angeles, but as a government contractor.

The most egregious of those to me is Karri Turner, because technically she was actually on NCIS as Harriet Sims (she appeared in the show's backdoor pilot). The actor who played her husband on JAG has made multiple subsequent guest appearences on NCIS, reprising his character... so why not Karri?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's not quite what I'm talking about. I've certainly seen that happen before, even on sitcoms: off the top of my head, I remember how, on Two and Half Men, Jennifer Bini Taylor appeared on the show twice, as two different characters, before she was brought back for the recurring role as Charlie's girlfriend Chelsea. Hell, it's even happened on JAG: Catherine Bell had a one-off guest role on Season One of JAG, back when the show was still on NBC, before she was brought back for the permanent role of Sarah Mackenzie.

I'm talking about the reverse: when an actor is part of the regular cast on a show, then returns to the franchise years later, but as an unrelated character.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Really enjoyed that show
I’m into the beginning of Season 2. This show goes a million miles an hour. I need a mental break. And I really hate Theo Galavan.

Though Captain Vic Mackey moving to Gotham and creating his own Strike Team is amazing. Don’t care if it doesn’t make sense, don’t care if it’s not the same universe in any way, he’s Vic Mackey.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m into the beginning of Season 2. This show goes a million miles an hour. I need a mental break. And I really hate Theo Galavan.

Though Captain Vic Mackey moving to Gotham and creating his own Strike Team is amazing. Don’t care if it doesn’t make sense, don’t care if it’s not the same universe in any way, he’s Vic Mackey.
The show is very over the top but that’s ok.

Joe Pera Talks with You

I highly recommend everybody check this show out. The best way I could describe it is eccentrically wholesome. Lots of great shows have a purpose. It could be to present a thesis statement or a call to action, usually being quite specific. I believe the purpose of Joe Pera Talks with You is simply to make the viewer a better person. Rather than doing so by presenting you with a series mistakes to learn from, the show simply presents the viewer with a person of exceptional character. But he still has his flaws. It's like Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for adults. The main character is extremely lovable, and the show is filled with tiny details that make watching it feel like a rich experience. You may find the star's dead pan portrayal of wholesomeness funny, endearing, or both. Whichever way, I believe this show can have wide appeal. It's part of Cartoon Network's [adult swim] line up, though it is live action. Check it out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Joe Pera Talks with You

I highly recommend everybody check this show out. The best way I could describe it is eccentrically wholesome. Lots of great shows have a purpose. It could be to present a thesis statement or a call to action, usually being quite specific. I believe the purpose of Joe Pera Talks with You is simply to make the viewer a better person. Rather than doing so by presenting you with a series mistakes to learn from, the show simply presents the viewer with a person of exceptional character. But he still has his flaws. It's like Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for adults. The main character is extremely lovable, and the show is filled with tiny details that make watching it feel like a rich experience. You may find the star's dead pan portrayal of wholesomeness funny, endearing, or both. Whichever way, I believe this show can have wide appeal. It's part of Cartoon Network's [adult swim] line up, though it is live action. Check it out.
I found the listing for it and have it set to record. I could really use "eccentrically wholesome" show to watch right now. ;)