TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've tried watching this show several times and I just can't do it. It SHOULD be funny to me and right in my wheelhouse. But I don't enjoy it. I can watch it (nothing offensive or off-putting, etc.), but it's not a show I seek out to watch. There is just something about it I can't put my finger on that makes me change the channel.
I think it's one of those shows where, if you didn't watch from the beginning, you wouldn't catch the character nuances, etc. It's kind of like reading Harry Potter. You can't start with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I think it's one of those shows where, if you didn't watch from the beginning, you wouldn't catch the character nuances, etc. It's kind of like reading Harry Potter. You can't start with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. ;)
I never felt lost or confused. The show just doesn't grab me at all. And that's fine, I don't have to like every show. I just thought I would like it so I watched it. Just didn't work out that way.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
(Looks up Emily Bett Rickards...)

So Slim, next time you meet the opposite of your physically ideal woman, go ahead and send her my way, mmmk?
Okay, how does Kyra Santoro grab you?

She came to my attention during the season finale of The Orville, but further viewing of pictures of her online suggest that she is a lot less... robust than she appeared in the episode.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Guy Fieri had a show on Food Network called "Guy's Big Project" where he was looking for a new face or faces to host a show similar to Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The show just concluded and there were two winners. Each winner was eligible to shoot a full pilot. Food Network execs were so impressed, however, that they gave them both short season series to see if they'd catch on. The series start this weekend.

The Grill Dads premieres on Friday at 9:30 pm, right after triple D.
Eat, Sleep, BBQ premieres Saturday at 9 pm.

To me, both shows have a great chance at making it. Here's a bit more info:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...dads-and-eat-sleep-bbq-792403/20171211food01/

If you enjoy traveling food shows, you might want to give these a look. :)

Guy Fieri had a show on Food Network called "Guy's Big Project" where he was looking for a new face or faces to host a show similar to Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The show just concluded and there were two winners. Each winner was eligible to shoot a full pilot. Food Network execs were so impressed, however, that they gave them both short season series to see if they'd catch on. The series start this weekend.

The Grill Dads premieres on Friday at 9:30 pm, right after triple D.
Eat, Sleep, BBQ premieres Saturday at 9 pm.

To me, both shows have a great chance at making it. Here's a bit more info:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...dads-and-eat-sleep-bbq-792403/20171211food01/

If you enjoy traveling food shows, you might want to give these a look. :)
I tried giving GBP a legit shot, especially since I enjoy him on DDD (Triple D). I just couldn't get as excited, though. I do enjoy Guy Fieri, though. That guy's awesome!

Just finished the first season of 'American Gods,' the Starz adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel of the same name. It was one of the most visually stunning shows I've watched in a long time, and it comes with my highest recommendation. Apparently Bryan Fuller and Michael Green are departing the show because of contractual disputes, which is a damn shame. Fuller's inventiveness as a showrunner will be missed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sitting here with a glass of egg nog with just a bit of Fireball added for tang, watching the Doctor Who marathon. It's amazing to me that I can watch these episodes time and time again and almost always see something I hadn't seen before. One thing I am noticing is that Peter Capaldi truly did embrace the role and make it his own, like some of the best who went before him. I will miss him.

One of tonight's episodes was "The Husbands of River Song"...of all the characters over all the years, I think I miss River the most. Alex Kingston did such an incredible job. I still hear the words "spoilers" and "sweetie" in her voice when I read them anywhere.

Also on the agenda is "A Christmas Story," "A Christmas Carol" (the 1938 version with Reginald Owen), and "Scrooge" (the 1935 version). I already watched "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" and "Die Hard." What can I say? ;)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watched the return of The X-Files last night. I have one regret - I'm never gonna get that hour of my life back. Between a car chase that looked more like a Ford Mustang commercial than anything else (other than perhaps an homage to Bullitt) and a twist involving Scully that nearly made me vomit, I saw very little that would persuade me to tune in again next week. I loved the show when it first came out because of the cheeky feel, with the campy monsters, excellent writing, etc. I was never a fan of the underlying Mythology plot and would have been perfectly happy to never see it again.

Oh well. That's one less reserved slot on my DVR.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Update: Black Lightning is now Number 5 with a bullet on my personal Top 10 shows of 2017-18, just on the strength of its pilot.

In fact, let me go ahead and update my personal Top 10 shows of 2017-18 (as of January 18, 2018):

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
S.W.A.T.
Scorpion
This is Us
Black Lightning

The Good Place
Arrow
The Orville
MacGyver

The Librarians

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, watched the sneak preview of The Alienist last night and the first regular episode just started recording on my DVR. It could go either way. The writing and camera work is gonna make all the difference.

Everybody (on Facebook, at least) keeps on raving about This Is Us. I intend on giving this a shot down the road, as it does seem to be something I would thoroughly enjoy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Everybody (on Facebook, at least) keeps on raving about This Is Us. I intend on giving this a shot down the road, as it does seem to be something I would thoroughly enjoy.
Incredible show. To do it justice, you absolutely must start at the beginning. If you don't, nothing will make much sense and the emotional impact will be almost totally lost.

Incredible show. To do it justice, you absolutely must start at the beginning. If you don't, nothing will make much sense and the emotional impact will be almost totally lost.
What’d did you think of last Tuesday’s? Love the show, but I generally don’t get emotional over it (unlike my wife lol)....the ending of the other nights however was pretty damn emotional.

Hulu has it. But it requires a subscription to watch. And this is something I may want to go back and watch over and over and over again. The DVD might actually be worth the price...

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Too.
Many.
Decisions.