TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

I find 3 Body incredibly boring three episodes in. Don’t think I can make it. Wish I was picking up whatever everyone else is getting from it. I’ve only found the 60’s China storyline remotely interesting, and that’s had minimal screen time.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I find 3 Body incredibly boring three episodes in. Don’t think I can make it. Wish I was picking up whatever everyone else is getting from it. I’ve only found the 60’s China storyline remotely interesting, and that’s had minimal screen time.
Keep pushing a bit, if you can. I don't know if you've read the three books, but the story gets better. Episode 5 (I think?) is really good, for example. It definitely isn't an action series, though.

When I read the books, book 1 was the weakest storyline by far. There's a lot of setup and world-building, but I agree that they could have cut out some of the early stuff and not really lost anything.

I've started watching this one - I'm maybe 4-5 episodes in. The problem so far is that they drag everything out. They could cut out 1/3 or so (at least so far) and not lose any of the story.

I am enjoying it though - they have done one or two interesting things that help explain what the problems are (like the pool table stuff in one of the episodes I just watched). It took a couple shows to get going. Like the books, these episodes "feel" very Chinese in nature (not just the spoken language used or the character nationality or filming location, as these can also be true for a film that feels "American", but the dialogue structure and overall show "feel" as well).
Thanks for the review. Just a few episodes in and I already like the Tencent adaptation better than the Netflix adaptation. It captures the dread well and allows time for the story to breathe. I liked that they didn't brush over concepts like the shooter and farmer hypotheses. The pool table analogy was bloody brilliant. I think Wang Miao's deduction of what the string of numbers mean was also done well. The experiments may look trivial and repetitive for the viewers but that's how you eliminate false explanatory variables and narrow down the scope of research. The whole thing can be avoided as we get a live countdown later but still I liked that little indulgence. The sense of discovery, awe and intrigue are lacking in the Netflix adaptation.

Warhawk

Staff member
Thanks for the review. Just a few episodes in and I already like the Tencent adaptation better than the Netflix adaptation. It captures the dread well and allows time for the story to breathe. I liked that they didn't brush over concepts like the shooter and farmer hypotheses. The pool table analogy was bloody brilliant. I think Wang Miao's deduction of what the string of numbers mean was also done well. The experiments may look trivial and repetitive for the viewers but that's how you eliminate false explanatory variables and narrow down the scope of research. The whole thing can be avoided as we get a live countdown later but still I liked that little indulgence. The sense of discovery, awe and intrigue are lacking in the Netflix adaptation.
While I think that the Netflix adaptation can be more "accessible" to the masses (especially American/western viewers, I would think - given the subtitles, dialogue structure, and overall "feel"), you have some good points I can/do agree with. But holy cow, I'm starting episode 6 (I think) and there are 30 episodes in Season 1. Just Season 1. That's more episodes than the Netflix adaptation might have in totality. Let's get a move on, folks, and trim out some of the fat!

Warhawk

Staff member
While I think that the Netflix adaptation can be more "accessible" to the masses (especially American/western viewers, I would think - given the subtitles, dialogue structure, and overall "feel"), you have some good points I can/do agree with. But holy cow, I'm starting episode 6 (I think) and there are 30 episodes in Season 1. Just Season 1. That's more episodes than the Netflix adaptation might have in totality. Let's get a move on, folks, and trim out some of the fat!
I’m about 20 episodes deep into this and while it is well done, my goodness it is a heck of a lot longer than necessary. I mean, 20 episodes and they’ve mentioned Judgement Day once. We’ve seen one scene on the ship. That arc was “over” in episode 5 of the Netflix version!!!