[Trade Rumor] [Shams] Houston has discussed Clint Capela packages with Atlanta and Sacramento

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't understand why Houston is dangling Capela. Outside of being "only" 6'10" he's almost a perfect center for the modern NBA, which doesn't rely on scoring in the paint anyways (like, say, I dunno, the Rockets?) He rebounds a ton, he plays good D, and he doesn't require shots. He's a career 0.202 WS/48 guy, and he's 25 years old, so whoever has him gets him for his prime years of 25-28! On top of that he's locked into a reasonable contract for the next 3.5 years.

They ought to get a king's ransom for the guy (no pun intended, but noticed). The real question is: what are they *asking*?

I don't understand why Houston is dangling Capela. Outside of being "only" 6'10" he's almost a perfect center for the modern NBA, which doesn't rely on scoring in the paint anyways (like, say, I dunno, the Rockets?) He rebounds a ton, he plays good D, and he doesn't require shots. He's a career 0.202 WS/48 guy, and he's 25 years old, so whoever has him gets him for his prime years of 25-28! On top of that he's locked into a reasonable contract for the next 3.5 years.

They ought to get a king's ransom for the guy (no pun intended, but noticed). The real question is: what are they *asking*?
Capela is a good player but this situation seems to be an example on how the center market works in todays Nba. Unless your center is All Nba level, you can get close to similar production for extremely cheap every year (Baynes, Holmes ect). An extremely average wing player like Barnes gets 20+mil/year because theres more demand than supply. Centers like Drummond, Capela, Adams are being shopped because they get ~20mil/year and its relatively easy to replace them with 5-10mil/year players.

Also Houston is trying to save money because of their owners so Rockets fans have every right to be furious atm

Last edited:

I mean, they are definitely looking for help in wings. Aren't we done with Barnes?

How about Barnes + 2 of our 10 second-round picks and Bjelica for Capela and bring Benny Mac back?

Because once the playoffs start and he's your 3rd highest paid player your not going anywhere, Capela is solid but come playoffs you need to send doubles to whoever good he's guarding and is not a threat once the foul calls dry up for Harden. The same applies for Stevens/DeAndre they hare regular season heroes

Kings should stick it out with Holmes instead and I'm pretty sure we will be getting back something from the Hawks while they get Caoela.

Last edited:
I mean, they are definitely looking for help in wings. Aren't we done with Barnes?

How about Barnes + 2 of our 10 second-round picks and Bjelica for Capela and bring Benny Mac back?
Benny is doing fine where he's at. Kings desperation will just tear him down again.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bagley in a D'Antoni offense though.

Recon I’d role with Capela. He’s fouth in the league in rebounds, eight in blocks, only makes a bit more than Dedmon at less than 15 million a year.
However, I’m a big fan of Holmes and don’t want to do anything that might jeopardise keeping him around, also know a young healthy playmaker wing is probably a higher priority.

If we can dump 2 bigs or so in the process, I’m down with it

But not if Luke is gonna have Capela working from the freaking high post and doing dribble handoffs like a Vlade and Brad Miller clone.

Why EVERY Kings coach of the last 14 years thinks they can recreate that, is freaking beyond me. Let. It. Go.

Is Cappella worth the cap space when Holmes does much of what he does for far less money? Sure Cappella is better, but is Capella worth it if we believe that the difference between he and Holmes is minor? I lean towards no.

On second thought, what could a package of Cappella and Bogdonovic net us? It would be a hell of a fish.

I'm more of Tucker/Capela for Barnes plus a bunch of 2nd rounders. Houston needs a lot of 2nd round picks to survive the 90M average just to pay the Harden and Westbrook super bros.

Capela is making $16.4m, $17.5m, $18.5m, and $19.5m for the rest of his 4 years contract, so while Dedmon's salary could match (need a filler for that couple mil difference), the Rockets ain't shredding much salary from that. So if the rumor of them trying to drop some salary is true, we are going to have to give them shorter contracts to absorb Capela's.

So Bagley ($8.5m/2+1), Bogi ($8.5m/1), Bjelica ($6.8m/2) are our players who are more suitable for Rockets.

Is Cappella worth the cap space when Holmes does much of what he does for far less money? Sure Cappella is better, but is Capella worth it if we believe that the difference between he and Holmes is minor? I lean towards no.

On second thought, what could a package of Cappella and Bogdonovic net us? It would be a hell of a fish.

Does anyone actually think we're going to properly prepare for Holmes when he hits FA after next season? We're limited what we can offer him if we're over the cap and need soft cap space to offer him above a 8.75 million/season contract. And if he keeps playing the way he has, he's going to be a 13+mil/season player at a minimum.

It's possible, but to keep him here long-term, team has to dump one of Buddy/Barnes/Bogdan. Capela is one of the better value contracts in the NBA and he's locked up till his age 28 season. I'd be interested just in him being a damn good player and a damn good NBA contract. Figure out the rest later.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Capela is making $16.4m, $17.5m, $18.5m, and $19.5m for the rest of his 4 years contract, so while Dedmon's salary could match (need a filler for that couple mil difference), the Rockets ain't shredding much salary from that. So if the rumor of them trying to drop some salary is true, we are going to have to give them shorter contracts to absorb Capela's.

So Bagley ($8.5m/2+1), Bogi ($8.5m/1), Bjelica ($6.8m/2) are our players who are more suitable for Rockets.
We aren't trading Bagley for Capela.

We also would have to send out at least $9.9M to absorb Capela's $14.9M contract this year under salary cap rules, so neither Bogdan nor Bjelica alone would do it. Joseph and Dedmon are the only contracts that work straight up. After that, we'd have to start getting a bit more creative.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not really sure what good Capela would do in Sacramento. Kings have Holmes and Bagley that need minutes and they both can't shoot....so now you add another one that is exclusively a lob target and it's as if Vlade continues to try to make something happen with really not much of a plan in mind.

We aren't trading Bagley for Capela.

We also would have to send out at least $9.9M to absorb Capela's $14.9M contract this year under salary cap rules, so neither Bogdan nor Bjelica alone would do it. Joseph and Dedmon are the only contracts that work straight up. After that, we'd have to start getting a bit more creative.
We shouldn't trade Bagley for Capela. But at the same time, why would the Kings be looking for another center anyways. They only play 2 of them. Trade Dedmon, bring back Capela and you still have 3 Centers and only 2 will play.

Sounds like a panic more than anything. Morey finally went against everything he's done his whole career (be smart) and went all-in on the Russ trade. Seems to have back-fired, now Capela is the one asset they have that can actually revamp there team.

Sounds like a panic more than anything. Morey finally went against everything he's done his whole career (be smart) and went all-in on the Russ trade. Seems to have back-fired, now Capela is the one asset they have that can actually revamp there team.
Rumblings that Morey wasn’t in the driver’s seat on that one. It’s coming from his buddies like Russillo and Simmons, but still, that’s what he’s telling people. Almost certainly Morey’s last year, and the owner is quite abrasive—this is finally the time to trade with the Rockets.