The truth is...

I know a lot of you will hate this, but Artest is a lot better than Peja and we should've taken the first chance we had at acquring him. Now it sounds a bit rash, but here are my reasons why:

1. Peja is not a big time player, netheir is Artest, but I'd rather bank on the explosive potential of Artest in terms of offense/defense instead of the offense/not much 'D' Peja has to offer.

2. Peja is Charmin tissue compared to Artest (no explanation needed).

3. Althogh not as efficient or as great a shooter as Peja, Artest can 'D' it up with the best and still make up for the lack of scoring we get from DC, while at the same time making a terrific defensive tandem (something we've never had here).

4. Sure Artest is a headcase, but I'd rather take my chances with an explosive that can do damage (especially if it's the opposing team). Peja just doesn't posses that.

5. AND MY BIGGEST REASON OF ALL.... Peja doesn't want to be here.

Now that we passed the deal up... It's little too late for it to ever happen again considering how well Artest is doing right now and how sucky (at least in comparison) Peja is performing.

<end rant>

I was watched the Pacers again tonight. Pretty much the same thing wen through my mind as I watched Artest scrapping for loose balls and bulling his way to the basket time after time. He sure does a whole lot of the things that nobody else on this Kings team does.

I think that with every game, Ron's detractors lose footing on the argument that he's a risky head case. He dramatically matured last season, and with pretty much half of his team on the IL, he's really been stepping up as a mature and extremely talented player the last few games. I would be sad to see Peja go if it came to that, but if Ron was being shipped out here in return, I wouldn't exactly be stomping my foot and complaining either.

Because Larry Bird is in love with him. He's made no secret that he really likes Peja. He's publicly given him advice how on to improve to the level of...well, himself. He's been looking for a replacement for the aging Reggie Miller, and if the addition of Stephen Jackson doesn't pan out, I can almost guarantee you they'll be interested in Peja.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
At the begining of last year I was one of the folks that said Artest was a headcase the Kings did not need. He played much more mature most of the season only to virtualy take himself out of the play offs one more year. If Pedja disapears in the post season Artest blows him self out of the post season. That being said after Pedja demaded a trade this summer I was one of the first to jump on the Artest bandwagon, and thus far (2 whole games) into the season that would apear to be a good call. But honestly the only real change in my opinion of Artest is that he is now a head case the Kings could use. No doubt Pedja will come arround and will be torching defenders very soon. He has made it clear that although he would like a trade he will give his all to the Kings as long as he is here. That all speaks well for Pedja over Artest. And IF Pedja were focused in the post season and able to develop a fade away jumper then I fuget about it much better player to have. But IF Pedja has one more bad play off then I'll not only back the trade but drive Pedja to the airport my self.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KK, at this point you may well be right but this summer Bird was very clear with the Indy press that they were interested in Pedja, and he has made no secret of his displeasure with Artest so I think the deal was cleared on their end and it was Petrie that wanted no part of it. Now who knows, maybe Petrie is driving Bird crazy with offers or maybe they are both fine with their own horse, but there was no doubt this summer the smoke in the Sac papers came from a real fire in Indy.

HndsmCelt said:
KK, at this point you may well be right but this summer Bird was very clear with the Indy press that they were interested in Pedja, and he has made no secret of his displeasure with Artest so I think the deal was cleared on their end and it was Petrie that wanted no part of it. Now who knows, maybe Petrie is driving Bird crazy with offers or maybe they are both fine with their own horse, but there was no doubt this summer the smoke in the Sac papers came from a real fire in Indy.
I do remember Bird's interest in Pedja over the summer, but I also remember Bird and Carlyle dismissing any rumor that involved a Pedja for Artest trade. Futhermore, the way Artest has been playing of late especially with JO out, I don't think that trade holds any water.

Here is a link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5699006/

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
There many other articles reporting Birds interest. When a team shops a player and then keeps him for what ever reason it is SOP to deny ever shopping him (read Birds words carfully) At any rate the point is moot now. Indy is not about to trade a guy that is rocking the East for a guy who is struggeling and Petrie seems to be set on keeping Pedja at least for the time being.

gat

G-League
I think he needs to come off the bench for a while. Maybe that will spark something. Right now it looks like he's playing a pick up game.

Insomniacal Fan said:
Artest really is a headcase, thought I'd remind everybody of that again.
You might be right (and you might be proven wrong) but isn't our own Peja a bit of a head case? His mental problems are different (maybe even the opposite of Artest's?) but there is no denying that Peja has the physical tools to do more, but for 3 years in the biggest games he definitely has come up short.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, Peja is a little soft. That's different from the "headcase" we're talking with Artest. The danger with Peja is just that he won't be there for you when you need him. But he'll show up and try to do his job. He's a pro. The danger with Artest is both that he won't be there AND that he can really cause dissension on a team. He's a bit of nut.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
No, Peja is a little soft. That's different from the "headcase" we're talking with Artest. The danger with Peja is just that he won't be there for you when you need him. But he'll show up and try to do his job. He's a pro. The danger with Artest is both that he won't be there AND that he can really cause dissension on a team. He's a bit of nut.
Saying Artest is a bit of a nut is an understatment on par with saying Rodman is a little colorfull.

But maybe a nut is what this team needs to mix things up a little. To me, Artest seems driven, passionate. Too much so at times. Still, the way things are looking up--I know it's early though--the kings could use some of that.

I was for this trade during the summer--actually,even before that--and am still for it now. Something tells me if the Kings continue to struggle, even at home past the Texas triangle, someone's going to have to look long and hard at this deal. I'm only worried that Peja's value is getting worse and Artest's is getting better at a rate that will prevent any such deal from happening.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A nut could be what the team needs. Or not. Might work out well and we take the next step. Or it might not, and the whole thing blows up in your face. That's the risk you take with an Artest.

The real problem is is he a nut for the team? Or just a nut out for himself? Because a lot of his antics seem incredibly self-centered.

I will, for the time being, refrain from making definitive comments about the team. It is completely too early in the season to be talking about this team a) as a failure b) as on the way down c) as in a need of a change d) all of the above e) or whatever.

BLNINJA #81 said:
I know a lot of you will hate this, but Artest is a lot better than Peja and we should've taken the first chance we had at acquring him. Now it sounds a bit rash, but here are my reasons why:

1. Peja is not a big time player, netheir is Artest, but I'd rather bank on the explosive potential of Artest in terms of offense/defense instead of the offense/not much 'D' Peja has to offer.

2. Peja is Charmin tissue compared to Artest (no explanation needed).

3. Althogh not as efficient or as great a shooter as Peja, Artest can 'D' it up with the best and still make up for the lack of scoring we get from DC, while at the same time making a terrific defensive tandem (something we've never had here).

4. Sure Artest is a headcase, but I'd rather take my chances with an explosive that can do damage (especially if it's the opposing team). Peja just doesn't posses that.

5. AND MY BIGGEST REASON OF ALL.... Peja doesn't want to be here.

Now that we passed the deal up... It's little too late for it to ever happen again considering how well Artest is doing right now and how sucky (at least in comparison) Peja is performing.

<end rant>
i completley agree.