The Official 2024-2025 NHL Season Thread

Since we can safely say that tonight kicks off the 2024-2025 NHL Season, I thought I'd start a new thread.

THE San Jose Sharks are now officially on the clock!!!

Also, we all know who goes #1, and comes to play by the bay. I am more interested, and excited, to see what Grier does with pick #2.

LFG!!!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm so hyped about the Sharks draft this year!

I've barely followed the Sharks over the years since I already had an NFL team (49ers), an NBA team (Kings), and an MLB team (A's) to root for and that felt like enough. But now that the A's are about to be gonzo, I can follow the NHL more and I've started to get sucked into the excitement of watching ice hockey again starting with watching/reading everything I can find about this year's crop of draft prospects.

We already knew who was going #1, so no surprise here:

The Sharks also had the #14 pick this year but they traded up to #11 and ended up with one of the best Defensemen in this class too:

Dickinson was my favorite prospect after Celebrini this year so this is a perfect result in my eyes! I also really liked Berkly Catton and Beckett Sennecke and both of them went earlier than projected. Also... apparently they have Vegas showgirls as part of their draft coverage? The NBA needs to step up it's game!

The Sharks next pick will be the first pick of the second round, #33 overall.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
No surprise again at #33 as the Sharks draft the highest rated prospect left on the board:

Chernyshov was once projected in the top 10 so I'm not sure why he slid all the way to the top of the second round. Whatever the reason, this looks like good value for the Sharks. He could be a first line Left Wing in the NHL and compliments the Dickinson and Celebrini picks as all three are two-way talents with excellent speed. He'll have to compete with the Sharks top pick from last year Will Smith for that first line spot though. Drafted 4th overall in 2023, Smith just led NCAA hockey in points (and assists).

Also noteworthy, the Sharks picked up Swedish defenseman Leo Sahlin Wellenius with their second pick in the second round. When he eventually makes it to the NHL he could potentially join an all Swedish shift change with his countrymen William Eklund, Fabian Zetterlund, Filip Bystedt, and Mattias Havelid.

There's a notable lack of right-handed defensemen in the Sharks top prospect pool. That could be a position they target in free agency this year.

Last edited:
Mike Grier absolutely hit it out of the park this draft by trading up to 11 from 14 and Dickinson falling to 11. Igor at 33 is amazing, easily could have gone top 20 and only 1 year left on his Russia deal. Between him, Haltunnen, and Musty, they will have some real nice size next to Mack and the Prince moving up the pipeline. Exciting times for Sharks fans right now.

hrdboild

Staff member
Grier making himself some moves!!!!

Link to NHL.com article: Askarov traded to Sharks by Predators
Hell yeah, what fantastic news! This was mentioned as a possibility earlier this week but just like the Sharks landing the #1 pick, I didn't want to get my hopes up early for what seemed like relatively low odds. What a dream off-season this has been and the perfect time to jump in as a Sharks fan with elite prospects lined up at every position and nowhere to go but up.