[Game] THE Kings vs. Denver Nuggets, 2/9/2024, 7:00p PT/10:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each season seems to have a theme and this season's is definitely something like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, and there isn't a better example than these two games! Incredible win and YES I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!
Once again proven you are neither as bad as your worse loss or as good as your best win. :) Cant get to high or to low over one or two games.

I think more accurately when we are shooting well we can beat anyone. When we are shooting poorly we can lose to anyone.

Good defenses are more consistent and ours is not good so you see more inconsistency.
but my point is that we aren’t inconsistent against the good teams in the West. We are consistently good. 13-2 against Minnesota, OKC, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, LAL, Utah. Even if you add in LAC and NO we are still 13-8 against the West playoff teams. Again, that is consistently good. Our inconsistency appears against bad teams.

When we get up for good teams we are a really damn good team (Pellies excluded). We just don’t seem to play with consistent focus against bad teams.

Maybe some of the funk was around the guys thinking about their freinds leaving and the team changing via trades. I know pending layoffs and new hires, and such, can funk-up a workplace until things get sorted.

I just wish we could be more consistent in play.

The coach just wants to have the GOAT on Shaqtin a fool to watch in person every night.
McGee doesn’t even really block shots anymore. He has had only 4 in his last 16 appearances since recording 4 in garbage time against Boston.

I can only imagine Brown values the 1 or 2 successful alley oops from Monk a game but as many attempts result in turnovers each game.

Len is pretty much better in every facet outside of being a lob threat with Monk.

Prime Javale would be a no brainer but now Len is a better defensive presence in the paint just by his tall and WIDE frame alone.

He creates many second chance opportunities for the Kings and knows his role. Javale has atleast one moment per game when he goes into business for himself and usually turns it over.

This is the first time Brown replaced Javale with Len in game so I have to believe he finally gets the picture.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox was really taking it downhill last night and attacking the defense. We're just such a different team when he attacks the rim and isn't settling for jumpers. Even if he's knocking them down at a good rate, the offense just doesn't flow the same.
And we're a different team when first and foremost he continually tries to make his teammates better. As this game shows, Fox doesn't need to score 25 or more for the Kings to be very good. He doesn't even need to score 20. He only scored 15 points in this game. It's not sexy, but those 10 assists and stellar defense spells WIN. More than anything he needs to play defense like an All Defense player and get into the paint on offense and kick it or make those in the paint shots. Taking defended 3-pointers is the very last thing he should be doing.

And we're a different team when first and foremost he continually tries to make his teammates better. As this game shows, Fox doesn't need to score 25 or more for the Kings to be very good. He doesn't even need to score 20. He only scored 15 points in this game. It's not sexy, but those 10 assists and stellar defense spells WIN. More than anything he needs to play defense like an All Defense player and get into the paint on offense and kick it or make those in the paint shots. Taking defended 3-pointers is the very last thing he should be doing.
Him shooting is not a problem. But I think he's gone through spells this year where he's just settled for a jumper, even if it's an OK shot. Last night was a great reminder how unstoppable we can be on O when he collapses the defense and kicks our to shooters in rhythm

McGee doesn’t even really block shots anymore. He has had only 4 in his last 16 appearances since recording 4 in garbage time against Boston.

I can only imagine Brown values the 1 or 2 successful alley oops from Monk a game but as many attempts result in turnovers each game.

Len is pretty much better in every facet outside of being a lob threat with Monk.

Prime Javale would be a no brainer but now Len is a better defensive presence in the paint just by his tall and WIDE frame alone.

He creates many second chance opportunities for the Kings and knows his role. Javale has atleast one moment per game when he goes into business for himself and usually turns it over.

This is the first time Brown replaced Javale with Len in game so I have to believe he finally gets the picture.
Mike Brown gives his thoughts on the JaVale <---> Len dynamic at the end of the postgame vs the Nuggets

Mike Brown gives his thoughts on the JaVale <---> Len dynamic at the end of the postgame vs the Nuggets

Well, don't like the sound of this. Sounds like an almost random back and forth between the two, not based on what they've done individually or their advanced stats, but based on the teams record in games they play....and will continue that way. So if Len happens to be playing when the team is losing some games, he'll likely go back to McGee, even if Len looked more effective for what he was doing as an individual. A very narrow way of looking at it

Well, don't like the sound of this. Sounds like an almost random back and forth between the two, not based on what they've done individually or their advanced stats, but based on the teams record in games they play....and will continue that way. So if Len happens to be playing when the team is losing some games, he'll likely go back to McGee, even if Len looked more effective for what he was doing as an individual. A very narrow way of looking at it
Sometimes the team needs the offense that McGee--Monk PnR provides off the bench, sometimes the team needs the physicality from Len.

Coach isn't going to build the rotation around the 8th man, they're situational players

Sometimes the team needs the offense that McGee--Monk PnR provides off the bench, sometimes the team needs the physicality from Len.

Coach isn't going to build the rotation around the 8th man, they're situational players
Of course. I'm not suggesting that McGee should never be used,....but that I disagree with his explanation for and how in practice he has played and not played them. That said, if given only one or the other, Len has looked a lot more solid and reliable...and I would bet the advanced stats show that as well.

Len should be the regular choice when a full sized center is needed, whereas I would only play McGee in very specific spots

This team is full of ups and downs. I guess if you can’t take them at their Kangz then you don’t deserve them at their Kings.
It's almost hard to believe we're at the 5th seed. It may or may not be a chaotic finish to the season, but, overall i'm happy and impressed with this squad. The Kings have won 7 of 10 or something like that, so i'll definitely take the good with a bit of the bad.

I agree with much of this but i am happy that Fox improved that shot from deep. The intentionality to get it up as many times as he has, will most certainly come in handy come playoff time. I do believe that, especially as he continues to balance it better and pick his spots the way i trust he will.

Id argue that the first paragraph applies to all teams, especially if you shoot a ton of threes. If you take 45 three pointers and shoot 29 percent you are almost certainly going to lose. We shot 34 of them tonight, I wonder if that would be a better range for us instead of 45ish.
It became rather easy to conclude a long while ago. This team, like many, lives and dies by the 3. Because they take so many of them.

Whenever I join a game late and see that they are down double digits or more, I immediately know their 3 point percentage is going to be awful. And 9/10 times it’s under 30%. Or the opponents percentage is over 50%. Sometimes both.

When this team loses, especially when they lose BIG, the 3 areas to look at are their 3 point effectiveness, their opponents, and the free throw disparity. Yielding offensive rebounds and turnovers sometimes come into play, but those things typically aren’t their undoing. It’s the 3 point shooting and free throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.