The Hip-Hop Thread

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Listening to Busta and Q-Tip on "Thank You" and I'm reminded of Gang Starr's "Mostly The Voice." I don't like to get all Back In My Day™ when it comes to hip-hop but, respectfully, I feel like MCs used to have more distinctive voices than they do now. Like, I accept that what is coming out nowadays is not for me and mine, and I'm not looking down on it, but it felt like it was easier to distinguish between rappers when I was younger... I guess I'm just getting old.

Listening to Busta and Q-Tip on "Thank You" and I'm reminded of Gang Starr's "Mostly The Voice." I don't like to get all Back In My Day™ when it comes to hip-hop but, respectfully, I feel like MCs used to have more distinctive voices than they do now. Like, I accept that what is coming out nowadays is not for me and mine, and I'm not looking down on it, but it felt like it was easier to distinguish between rappers when I was younger... I guess I'm just getting old.
I wouldn't classify him as a "new" rapper in the sense that he's been in the game for over a decade now, but a voice like Danny Brown's is about as distinctive as it gets:

(produced by Q-Tip)

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
more than the distinction, the creativity and flare that MCs had back then is simply on another level. listen to a new track today and say 3 or 4 years ago and they sound the same then as they do now. don't even get me started with these AI infused tracks

I'm glad I still have tons of old school mc and djs to listen to. Benefit of not nerding out on them when I was young, like I did metal and rock. Which I can barely listen to anymore outside a few bands and albums.