Who Ya Got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm confused by "stay the course". Certainly both teams benefited from their biggest threats in the East and even some WC contenders misfortunes but are you suggesting Toronto would be happier long term had they not won it all with Kawhi and kept DeRozan and maintained Portland Trailblazer status? Or are you saying they'd have still won because everyone else fell apart?
I'm saying that Milwaukee, like Toronto before them, failed in the playoffs, multiple times. So, they had a decision to make: do we "stay the course," as in, keep this core, add a piece here and there, maybe try to go all-in on a "final piece," and hope for the best? Or, do what Atlanta did, after their previous squad peaked in the ECF, only to get swept: recognized that this team has maxed out it's talent and, unless LeBron breaks his leg, we're never going to get any further than we got this year, might as well blow it up, and start from scratch.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There's really no reason to fire Bud now. It would lower the morale for the entire team. He just won the finals, not much more you can ask. I think in a lot of ways, he proved that he was good enough to win. If they become stagnant in 2-3 years, I think that's the time to cut him free.
Yeah, there's no reason to fire him now, but people weren't saying that before Game 7 against Brooklyn. People were legitimately questioning whether Budenholzer was good enough to get the Bucks over the hump. And, if Kevin Durant didn't have such weird hang-ups about his height and shoe size, the answer from every corner would have been an unequivocal "No!"

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They'd more be an "unattractive" market? They shouldn't be, but they are. Canadian dollar, taxes, weather, I'm guessing no soul food. I'd probably move to Toronto in a heartbeat when I retire (or dead NBA city Vancouver, which I think is the greatest city in North America)

Anyhow, I think Toronto and MIL have proven if you are even close to it, you sell everything to get there because you can't ever take it away. Just thinking about what should have been in 2002 and how different our franchise would be viewed had it happened for us.
I've heard from a number of people that Vancouver is one of the best cities that they've visited. What is so enticing about it?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Time to answer the trivia: nobody took a guess, meaning that either nobody read it, or nobody cared to answer it. If you're still trying to answer, at this point, that means that you're trying to look it up. Which would be cheating.

Anyway:

Trivia time: The Phoenix Suns are the only NBA franchise that currently has appeared in three or more NBA Finals, without winning a championship.
  1. Which four NBA franchises won their first championship in their third Finals appearance?
  2. Which are the only two other NBA franchises to lose in the Finals three times, before winning their first NBA Championship?
  1. Which four NBA franchises won their first championship in their third Finals appearance?
    • Nationals/76ers (1950, 1954, 1955)
    • Bullets/Wizards (1971, 1975, 1978)
    • Rockets (1981, 1986, 1994)
    • Cavaliers (2007, 2015, 2016)
  2. Which are the only two other NBA franchises to lose in the Finals three times, before winning their first NBA Championship?
    • Knicks (1951, 1952, 1953, 1970)
    • Pistons (1955, 1956, 1988, 1989)

I've heard from a number of people that Vancouver is one of the best cities that they've visited. What is so enticing about it?
Hard to put into words but it's a bit of a hybrid between a great American city and a great European one. Very functional (and clean) public transit, walkable urban core, 7-8 months a year of good weather, good entertainment options, great food. Super expensive though.

Beyond that, if I retired as soon as I'm eligible at 55 (8-9 years) I'd rather be in Canada's health system for the next 10 years than on my own here, and if the earth keeps heating up moving further North to beat the heat is also attractive.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Hard to put into words but it's a bit of a hybrid between a great American city and a great European one. Very functional (and clean) public transit, walkable urban core, 7-8 months a year of good weather, good entertainment options, great food. Super expensive though.

Beyond that, if I retired as soon as I'm eligible at 55 (8-9 years) I'd rather be in Canada's health system for the next 10 years than on my own here, and if the earth keeps heating up moving further North to beat the heat is also attractive.
Thanks for the input. Regarding Earth, it's already heating up and I don't think moving up North will help much in that regard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57654133

Thanks for the input. Regarding Earth, it's already heating up and I don't think moving up North will help much in that regard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57654133
Yeah, that was when we were having 116 in Portland on a day where for about an hour Portland was the hottest spot on earth. I don't fully understand if that "heat dome" was a generational event that was compounded by current climate change, but I do understand that all the heat records set in the PNW that week were eclipsed by about 10 degrees two weeks later down in CA. In general it still averages quite a bit cooler in Portland than Sacramento.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah, that was when we were having 116 in Portland on a day where for about an hour Portland was the hottest spot on earth. I don't fully understand if that "heat dome" was a generational event that was compounded by current climate change, but I do understand that all the heat records set in the PNW that week were eclipsed by about 10 degrees two weeks later down in CA. In general it still averages quite a bit cooler in Portland than Sacramento.
makes one wonder whats in store for the winter months. could it be another historical winter polar vortex type of situation or is it simply going to remain much warmer than usual. we'll find out in a couple of months

makes one wonder whats in store for the winter months. could it be another historical winter polar vortex type of situation or is it simply going to remain much warmer than usual. we'll find out in a couple of months
These are things I wish we could predict with absolute certainty. My partner incidentally would prefer to retire to a warm winter place, which makes me think we'd have to leave every summer. What a time to be alive?

What kind of tautology is that? It's different, because it's clearly different? Why is one form of hating, apparently, okay, and the other isn't? How is it even different?
I'm not making any moral judgements as to what's ok and what's not. I'm simply refuting your argument that the tweet in question will be untrue on the basis that it was untrue for LeBron, because the tweet is postulating that nobody will hate SPECIFICALLY on Giannis' basketball ability, rather than your interpretation that nobody will ever hate Giannis for anything at all. And I maintain that the same argument is true for LeBron's basketball ability post Cavs-championship.

If you insist on interpreting the tweet (and by extension similar statements about LeBron when he won in Cleveland) as a blanket statement suggesting that a sports performance absolves an individual of any and all forms of dislike then all I can say is you must have a very very strange view of people and the world.

Now that it’s over, I can say how happy I am to see Giannis lead a team to a title. He earned every bit of this.
He’s been among my favorite non-KINGS players for quite some time. The kid exudes class and seemingly does things the right way. He also doesn’t seem to have an entitled attitude.

Most of all, he didn’t jump ship and front run. He’s an old school player in my book.

No more “Giannis will never be a true super star and lead a team to a title until he shoots 3’s and becomes clutch” talk from the media and fans.

Giannis is clutch but didn’t need to shoot deep 3’s to be it.

Never forget the clutch block he made to prevent his team from falling into a 1-3 series hole. That was the biggest play of the Finals series and then he followed that up with tonight’s all-time performance.

you want a warm winter place? Phoenix provides plenty of that
We'd likely go to Tuscon if Arizona were on the table. At least then I could go to UA games and be pretty content as a hoops fan. Having a college I can root for would be almost as good as a pro team. I do love the Pac and I was neutral on Oregon until I got here, I must admit I experience some schadenfreude whenever they blow the big game though. Probably all the entitlement the crazy Nike money has brought.

Well, I guess Raps and the Bucks winning close together equals parity? Until the super teams come back next year I guess lol. Don't get too cocky Giannis, Irving plays and Harden is half healthy and you watch from home like everyone else.

Well, I guess Raps and the Bucks winning close together equals parity? Until the super teams come back next year I guess lol. Don't get too cocky Giannis, Irving plays and Harden is half healthy and you watch from home like everyone else.
I’m no so sure about that.

But for those who believe it can say the same about the LAL pandemic title. Lots of teams were w/o their stars then too. Or hobbled.

No chance that LAL team was the best in the league.

A lot of luck typically has to go one’s way to win a title. It ain’t always the best team that gets it done.

I’m no so sure about that.

But for those who believe it can say the same about the LAL pandemic title. Lots of teams were w/o their stars then too. Or hobbled.

No chance that LAL team was the best in the league.

A lot of luck typically has to go one’s way to win a title. It ain’t always the best team that gets it done.
LeBron is LeBron so he'll get the benefit. The Nets took them to 7 with basically Durant and nothing else and all it took was an inch more on that 3. I really, really hope the Nets blow hard next season. I hate the idea of super teams, hate it, hate it, hate it, but it is what it is. And many consider that LeBron/AD pairing a super team.

In the end, I think with what we saw in these series leading up, if Kawhi is healthy and the Nets are 100%, then that's probably your finals matchup unfortunately.

Chris Paul walking thru the tunnel refusing to shake hands with the Bucks Players
While I hear in my head: Like a good neighbor State Farm is there
Scott Foster laughing his a** off
P Patterson tweeting: Karma is a B****

Meanwhile Monty goes to Bucks locker room to give Congrats to Bucks team
Monty has more class in his pinky than CP3 has in entire body

This one's for You Slab LOL

Agreed! But back to dreary reality. "Overall, this is the Bucks’ second championship in its 53-year history and ends the NBA’s third-longest championship drought (The Sacramento Kings are going on 70 years since winning it in 1951 as the Rochester Royals)." And in 2013 Giannis was available for Kings at #7 (took McLemore) and continued to slide to #15 where Buck struck gold. All I recall was rookie owner Vivek fist pumping, jumping for joy Kings draft room when Ben Bust selected.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Agreed! But back to dreary reality. "Overall, this is the Bucks’ second championship in its 53-year history and ends the NBA’s third-longest championship drought (The Sacramento Kings are going on 70 years since winning it in 1951 as the Rochester Royals)." And in 2013 Giannis was available for Kings at #7 (took McLemore) and continued to slide to #15 where Buck struck gold. All I recall was rookie owner Vivek fist pumping, jumping for joy Kings draft room when Ben Bust selected.
Meh, at a certain point, you can’t really be too angry about it. Giannis wasn’t a Luka situation where you immediately knew he would probably be good. He also had a really really low floor possibility.

Plus, McBen has become a journeyman rotational player, which isn’t exactly great but is hard to qualify as him being a bust, considering how generally bad his draft class was.

I agree about the Greek Freak (not sure when got nickname - age 18 or earlier?) Recall Giannis 6'9", skinny back then but by age 19-20 had grown to 6'11". Ben to me will always be a bust Kings #7 selection. Who can forget Scot Pollard (fellow KU alum) warning against selecting him. He was right, Vivek was wrong - no surprise!).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If you insist on interpreting the tweet (and by extension similar statements about LeBron when he won in Cleveland) as a blanket statement suggesting that a sports performance absolves an individual of any and all forms of dislike then all I can say is you must have a very very strange view of people and the world.
:: shrugs ::

By your standards, I probably do. I can live with that, though. Honestly, that's a not-insignificant part of why so many of my exchanges with other posters tend to go on as long as they do: I get unfairly (and inaccurately) knocked for arguing just to argue when, actually, I have an overpowering demand to have my words be understood, that is informed by a lifetime of being a neurodivergent, who was expected to change the way I look at things, to conform to other people's more neurotypical perspective..

That, and I seem to have a weird way of finding the part of a post that the poster I'm engaging with thinks is much less interesting than I do. And vice versa.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
As to the LeBron thing, specifically, I guess that I keep coming back to that because, for lack of a better word, I'm getting triggered by the concept of praising being "anti-LeBron" as a desirable trait. Especially since I feel like there are more apt comparisons, if you want to elevate somebody, while attacking somebody else. For one thing, James has never "ring chased." He's left three times, all three times as a free agent, and all three times, he went to a team that wasn't a contender until he got there: that's the opposite of chasing a ring. You want to call somebody a ring chaser? That would be Anthony Davis. And, by the way, all the stuff that gets levied at LeBron James ("coach killer," "diva," "antics," "needs help to win")... all of that applies to Anthony Davis, and yet, all of that somehow sticks to LeBron, and none of it sticks to Anthony Davis, and I don't understand why that is?

If anything, Giannis Antetokounmpo is the anti-AD, but I guess that isn't as catchy, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.