The Brow

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Knicks tried to get Fox for POrzingis, which was obvious no. But what if New Orleans approached about Davis with that?
I mean, everybody wants Anthony Davis, but it also depends on the price. If nothing else, Fox has given us reason to believe over and over again that he is willing to build a championship team in Sacramento. Furthermore, recent reports suggest that he has developed a close relationship with Tony Parker...a PG well-known for staying basically his entire career with the same small town franchise - if Parker is whispering anything in Fox's ear, it's not "You gotta bolt to L.A., bro!"

Anthony Davis, on the other hand, has made it pretty abundantly clear that he's going to end up in one of the top two media markets in the country. He'd stay in Sacramento just about long enough to get a California driver's license in time to sign with the Lakers. Give up a guy who could be a franchise cornerstone for a guy who is 99.99% going to up and leave? That's nutty.

Furthermore, if the Lakers' gripe from today is accurate, Fox is not enough to get Anthony Davis from the Pelicans. The price is probably Fox+Bagley+Giles+Hield+Bogdan+WCS+every first round pick available to trade+cap relief. Womp-womp.

I wouldn't trade for Davis at this point for any of our core. We have something brewing here and it's high time the Sacramento Kings return to the top tier of the NBA.

If AD goes to the Lakers, they won't be able to really surround him Lebron with good talent (they will be trading most of this talent for AD). Let's not forget that Lebron is an old 34. He's missed a significant amount of time already with his first real injury (though I suspect it was largely a cover up to rest him for potential playoffs) and it isn't going to be any smoother for him here on out. Father Time always wins. If AD wants to join all of the above that I just mentioned, then by all means. I certainly don't want to trade away our best team in 13 years for a guy who will definitely NOT stay long-term. I agree with Capt. above, Pelicans would want to fleece us and I want no part of that.

I wouldn't trade for Davis at this point for any of our core. We have something brewing here and it's high time the Sacramento Kings return to the top tier of the NBA.
Let's not forget that while AD is a franchise player, he's not the level of a franchise player where he can win on his own. Otherwise the Pels would have fared much better than they have during his stint there. He's not Tim Duncan or Shaq level elite.

That's why I'm happy the NOP are holding firm on leaving the LA LeBron's with nearly nothing to build around should they follow through with the trade. They'd take the young core and leave LA with no draft picks and not a ton of cap room to sign top free agents. If I were the Pelicans, I wouldn't deal with LA either unless it left them strung out. LBJ and AD with 3 scrubs and no bench isn't winning anything. And the options to improve beyond that are limited.

Same goes for the KINGS. Any trade the KINGS could make for AD would leave them in a similar and likely worse situation since they don't have LBJ. It'd be just like trading places with the NOP. Why do that?

For all we know, POGO may well develop into an AD type player -- or even better. If he does, they have Fox, Buddy, Giles and BoBo (who are all improving too) surrounding him which is exactly what you're looking for. A bonafide cast surrounding a star player. Or perhaps surrounding 2 star players should Fox become one too.

I mean, everybody wants Anthony Davis, but it also depends on the price. If nothing else, Fox has given us reason to believe over and over again that he is willing to build a championship team in Sacramento. Furthermore, recent reports suggest that he has developed a close relationship with Tony Parker...a PG well-known for staying basically his entire career with the same small town franchise - if Parker is whispering anything in Fox's ear, it's not "You gotta bolt to L.A., bro!"

Anthony Davis, on the other hand, has made it pretty abundantly clear that he's going to end up in one of the top two media markets in the country. He'd stay in Sacramento just about long enough to get a California driver's license in time to sign with the Lakers. Give up a guy who could be a franchise cornerstone for a guy who is 99.99% going to up and leave? That's nutty.

Furthermore, if the Lakers' gripe from today is accurate, Fox is not enough to get Anthony Davis from the Pelicans. The price is probably Fox+Bagley+Giles+Hield+Bogdan+WCS+every first round pick available to trade+cap relief. Womp-womp.
Not sure about that.. I think the issue may be that the Lakers core is no longer valued, and New Orleans doesn’t feel comfortable about a legit blue chip in the package. Hence, there is some speculation that if the Pelicans can get Tatum, it would trump the Lakers package.

I’m not sure that Bagley wouldn’t singularly get the Pelicans attention right now with maybe some sweetener. Of course this would only be if there was a agreement of sorts Davis would remain. Maybe it becomes such a convoluted situation that the Pelicans tell Davis they will only trade him to the Kings, take it or leave it.. I’m just thinking out loud now

But I appreciate Marvin’s progress and it’s good to have a home grown team with many years ahead

Let's not forget that while AD is a franchise player, he's not the level of a franchise player where he can win on his own. Otherwise the Pels would have fared much better than they have during his stint there. He's not Tim Duncan or Shaq level elite.

That's why I'm happy the NOP are holding firm on leaving the LA LeBron's with nearly nothing to build around should they follow through with the trade. They'd take the young core and leave LA with no draft picks and not a ton of cap room to sign top free agents. If I were the Pelicans, I wouldn't deal with LA either unless it left them strung out. LBJ and AD with 3 scrubs and no bench isn't winning anything. And the options to improve beyond that are limited.

Same goes for the KINGS. Any trade the KINGS could make for AD would leave them in a similar and likely worse situation since they don't have LBJ. It'd be just like trading places with the NOP. Why do that?

For all we know, POGO may well develop into an AD type player -- or even better. If he does, they have Fox, Buddy, Giles and BoBo (who are all improving too) surrounding him which is exactly what you're looking for. A bonafide cast surrounding a star player. Or perhaps surrounding 2 star players should Fox become one too.
If Davis ends up in LA, they will manage to put enough pieces around them to contend. Yes, will be tough without picks or space, but we have seen in the past that vets will happily take a cut to play short term for a contender. And any team that has AD in his prime, and James still playing great (though we have to see if his injury slows him down, or forces him to miss more time), is a contender.

Trust me. I hate the Lakers too, and really hope that Davis doesn't end up there. However, can't ignore the reality, that if he does end up there, they will be contenders.

Don't worry. Boston will get AD for various reasons:

1. They offer the best package with Tatum central to that

2. At this point no one cares what AD wants. He wants out and if you're NO you are not doing him any favours

3. NO's owner is not a fan of big markets, he will either bleed the Lakers dry in trading AD to LA or send him elsewhere to spite them.

4. Ainge is in Demps ear. He will make it worth his while to wait. AD won't turn down Boston once he gets there and Kyrie resigns

Screw the Lakers. Boston baby !

Trust me. I hate the Lakers too, and really hope that Davis doesn't end up there. However, can't ignore the reality, that if he does end up there, they will be contenders.
Agree to disagree. They'll be nowhere close to competing with GSW (the team they'll need to beat in the West). And good luck finding 5-6 other dudes worth anything willing to play for pennies.

It's one thing for an established team like GSW to get a player or two to come in on a pay cut, but another thing entirely to fill out 3 other starting positions and a bench with those same types of players.