Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl? Pick winner and other bets (POST SCORE PREDICTIONS in thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those of you playing the pick'em game, please post your final score predictions in the thread. There are points and bonus points as follows:

Correctly pick the winner: 8pts
Correctly pick the margin (winner must be correct): 4pts
Correctly pick the Seahawks' score: 3pts
Correctly pick the Patriots' score: 3pts
Off of Seahawks' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Patriots' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Seahawks' score by 2: 1pt
Off of Patriots' score by 2: 1pt
Each correctly guessed bet in the poll: 1pt

Tiebreakers are:
1. Most pick 'em game points scored this week. (I.e. If one team comes from behind with a better prediction this week to tie another team, they would win.)
2. Closest combined score to actual combined score of the two teams in the game.
3. That's it... If there's still a tie then we have a tie.

Current scores (last week in parentheses):

18(8) - kingsboi
17(8) - PurpleHaze
14(8) - Telemachus
12(4) - pdxKingsFan
9(0) - Capt. Factorial
8(4) - Rockmeister
6(4) - VF21
6(0) - uolj
4(4) - 63royals

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I cannot root for the Seahawks and I will not root for the Patriots if they did, in fact, cheat on their way to a AFC championship win in a game they most likely would have won anyway. For that reason, I did not pick a winner in the poll. In my best case scenario, Arizona will be hit with a sandstorm, hurricane, etc. and the game will be forfeited.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It really felt like some kind of sweet payback for the non-interception right before the helmet catch 7 years back. Magical once in a lifetime catch, oh no, not again followed by interception from out of nowhere.

Been ten years since I felt like this :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That ended up being a much better game than I thought it would be. And karma finally showed up and gave Seattle what they had coming. Total lack of class by a couple of their players bit them in the posterior at the end.

Who in the world calls a pass when Marshawn Lynch is just waiting there to beast mode into the end zone? Worst call ever.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There was some debate before this Super Bowl who was the better, the greater coach of the two. That talk ended tonight.
Carroll will be torn to shreds for the next months over this.

How about Belichick in this final drive - Pats had two timeouts and he sat on them.

Carroll gets first and goal from the 5 with ~1 minute. He sends a 3 wide package hoping the Pats will go nickel to match, Pats put their goal line package out and stop Lynch a yard shy of the end zone.

Most of Pats nation is screaming time out as the clock rolls from 50 seconds to the 20s.

Carroll, with one time out left, wants to squeeze out 3 shots at the end zone from the 1. But he has only one time out and he has his receivers up against the Pats goal line package so he decides to pass thinking he has the passing matchup he wants and the worst that would happen is an incomplete in which he puts in his goal line offense and has two plays plus a time out to punch it in.

If BB calls the time out, Seattle gets 3 chances to run it in from the one.

It was one hell of a gamble and it paid off. Belichick is the GOAT and Carroll is the goat.

On the flip, Malcolm Butler's play was LEGENDARY. He hits the receiver precisely as the ball arrives, allowing him to pick the pass while both players are jolted from the blow and hangs on to this thing.

Without that play, odds are Carroll gets away with it, they run twice and maybe score and BB is the dummy who didn't call timeout.

When Kearse caught that ball, my heart sank. And then I was screaming call a timeout. Who would have thought that Pete would call a pass at the ONE yard line? If you think about it, if Lockette would have caught the ball and got a touchdown, then obviously we wouldn't even be talking about this. Pete made one hell of a gamble, however, this is one gamble I am glad that it didn't pay off.

The call by the Seahawks to pass instead of run had a trivial effect on each team's chances to win. That's a major red herring although a fun exercise and monday morning debate. The Patriots just executed the play better.

Overall it was a good game and that play will be remembered as one of the biggest plays ever in any sport. I yelled when it happened and I wanted both teams to lose. (If only everybody had been ejected after that fight and the championship was left vacant this year.) Second most exciting Super Bowl ever by one metric.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Arguably the greater error was the specific play vs. the pass. If they wanted to run 3 plays they were going to have to pass once unless BB gave them a time out.

But why not a play action or pass outside? They had better success with that than the slants.

Also, funny Carroll was a genius in the first half for going for the TD instead of kicking the FG when dumb logic says take the points and get the ball to start the 3rd.

Either way, I think harping on the call takes away from an amazing play by a guy nobody even had on their radars entering the game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The call by the Seahawks to pass instead of run had a trivial effect on each team's chances to win. That's a major red herring although a fun exercise and monday morning debate. The Patriots just executed the play better.

Overall it was a good game and that play will be remembered as one of the biggest plays ever in any sport. I yelled when it happened and I wanted both teams to lose. (If only everybody had been ejected after that fight and the championship was left vacant this year.) Second most exciting Super Bowl ever by one metric.
I could vehemently argue against that take, but quite honestly, I just don't care enough. ;)

And I could provide a thorough analysis to back up my take. I don't really "care" either, but not caring never stopped me from a good discussion. ;)

BTW, For those interested in the pick'em game... congrats to Telemachus who didn't even post a score prediction but had the most points from previous weeks out of those who selected the Patriots to win to carry him to victory:

25(11) - Telemachus
21(12) - Capt. Factorial
19(1) - kingsboi
18(1) - PurpleHaze
18(10) - Rockmeister
15(9) - uolj
12(0) - pdxKingsFan
11(11) - Letsgokings13
9(3) - VF21

(P.S. If they just give Lynch the damn ball then kingsboi wins easily. :))

BTW, For those interested in the pick'em game... congrats to Telemachus who didn't even post a score prediction but had the most points from previous weeks out of those who selected the Patriots to win to carry him to victory:

25(11) - Telemachus
21(12) - Capt. Factorial
19(1) - kingsboi
18(1) - PurpleHaze
18(10) - Rockmeister
15(9) - uolj
12(0) - pdxKingsFan
11(11) - Letsgokings13
9(3) - VF21

(P.S. If they just give Lynch the damn ball then kingsboi wins easily. :))
I knew I forgot something.