Student collapses, dies during flag football game at Desert Oasis High School

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
By all accounts it was the immediate on field care that probably saved Hamlin's life or limited any permanent loss of cognitive function from the incident. Would be very curious to know what level of care was available to this student. I've seen rec leagues where immediate access to AEDs have saved people's lives. I hope that having AEDs readily available at all scholastic sporting events becomes a regular thing. Don't know if that would have saved this poor girl's life, but it needs to be a thing.

By all accounts it was the immediate on field care that probably saved Hamlin's life or limited any permanent loss of cognitive function from the incident. Would be very curious to know what level of care was available to this student. I've seen rec leagues where immediate access to AEDs have saved people's lives. I hope that having AEDs readily available at all scholastic sporting events becomes a regular thing. Don't know if that would have saved this poor girl's life, but it needs to be a thing.
Also, we need more and more out there to familiarize themselves with First Aid/CPR...Go out there and get certified. Training is widely available, and anyone can go and do it. Sure, you have to be physically able to perform first aid/CPR, but even then, if you need to make slight modifications, they can be made (at least from what I've heard and been told).

I, myself, am not certified, but am very much so interested in getting certified down the road. I have some physical limitations, but intend to exhaust any and every resource available to me in order to be able to efficiently administer should I ever find myself in a situation where I need to step in.