[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

A

Associated Press

U.S. Soccer is no longer managing the National Women's Soccer League, although some aspects of the partnership remain, NWSL Commissioner Lisa Baird said Tuesday. U.S. Soccer's management of the NWSL was supposed to come to an end at the close of 2019 but was extended through 2020. U.S. Soccer, which has managed the league since its launch in 2013, will continue to invest in the NWSL, Baird said.

Continue reading...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I couldn't watch: my heart said Serena, but my head knew that she can't beat Osaka, and I couldn't put myself through that. :(

It can't be overstated that Serena is 39, still playing at an elite level, in a sport where 99 percent of athletes are washed by 28. At this point, however, her only path to #24 is an Osaka injury, and I don't want to see that, either, because I root for Naomi Osaka to beat everybody she plays, except for Serena.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Eight of the Top 16 seeds in the Internazionali BNL d`Italia go out in the first two rounds, including Sofia Kenin, Naomi Osaka and Serena. Which leads me to wonder if they just wanted an excuse to go to Italy?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Japanese media making a big deal out of Naomi breaking her racket in frustration. The last couple of times they've done this has been when Serena did it which leads me to the conclusion that the Japanese news media just really has it out for generational tennis stars or, well, y'know...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Japanese media making a big deal out of Naomi breaking her racket in frustration. The last couple of times they've done this has been when Serena did it which leads me to the conclusion that the Japanese news media just really has it out for generational tennis stars or, well, y'know...
Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Pac-12 named their new commissioner. No clue who he is but hopefully he restores the conference to prominence with a proper TV deal.
Agreed - the PAC-12 Network is difficult to get. During basketball season I would gladly pay $10 a month to get PAC-12 (and, considering that I got Sling for $40 specifically for PAC-12 I guess I'd gladly go higher). TAKE MY MONEY, GUYS!

When asked why she would attempt such a difficult skill, when she could win with much easier ones, she said "Because I can" ... while wearing a rhinestone GOAT on her leotard.

Biles is the single most dominant athlete of a sport I have ever seen. And, if I can borrow the "pound-for-pound" metric, quite possibly the most dominant athlete, period.

She already has four moves named after her, and if she lands this in Tokyo, it'll be five. Her sport is quite literally being forced to expand its point codes to accommodate her skills.

Not to mention, she's set to surpass Latynina and Scherbo as the most decorated (WC+O) gymnast of all time. Not women's gymnast. Not American gymnast. Gymnast. Ever.

She's about to out-medal two Cold War era Soviets* ... in gymnastics.
Scherbo mostly competed at the world level after the fall of the USSR, but he was raised in their system, so I'm counting it.

What's especially crazy about Biles hitting the YDP (other than her having so much power even after three rotations she OVER-rotated) is she didn't even officially win the apparatus. But did she care? No, she just said "Well, I hit it." and then started checking her phone.

I'm beyond being electrified by her brilliance. I'm to the point of being stupefyingly numb.

When I was a kid it was a common discussion as to whether we'd get in a ring with Tyson and take the one punch and go to sleep to collect a million dollars. Never in our wildest dreams could we imagine that we could make multitudes more and the boxer would take it easy on us to let us go the distance.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
scary incident for Eriksen in the Denmark Finland match earlier today. just saw the replay of the match. collapsed on his own and wasn't even blinking when he hit the ground.