[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

I'm not one to usually throw a parade, or a celebration, when Disney/ESPN announce their annual layoffs, but I couldn't help but smile a little seeing this one come through:

1688153144862.png

Sorry for those of you who differ in opinion, but Ashley truly didn't do much for me on SportsCenter, other than try to be "another pretty face on TV". Never really was a fan.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wait, huh? That's a horrible reason to be happy somebody lost their job. Like, they didn't even do anything objectionable, they just weren't unique enough for you?

Wait, huh? That's a horrible reason to be happy somebody lost their job. Like, they didn't even do anything objectionable, they just weren't unique enough for you?
I am confused as to why not being a fan of someone is a horrible reason...

Ashley just didn't do it for me as a SportsCenter anchor. Maybe it's because of personal reasons, maybe it was because she's just that type of a reporter/anchor. But she sure as heck wasn't the reason why I would ever watch the late night version of SportsCenter.

I guess, to your point, rather than saying something like "I am smiling because she's no longer employed", I should've said something like "Well, Ashley is someone who I won't necessarily miss because she just didn't do it for me as a SportsCenter anchor. She just didn't excite me as much as others have in the past, and still do today to make me want to tune in to SC when she was on".

I didn't intend for my initial comments to come across as being evil and mean, especially towards Ashley. But, if they did come across as such to some, I apologize :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I am confused as to why not being a fan of someone is a horrible reason...
Generally speaking, if I would describe myself as "not a fan" of someone, I am completely ambivalent about their employment status. For me to be happy about someone getting fired, they would have to have done something that I found objectionable. The way your post read, the thing that she did that you found objectionable was... not distinguish herself from a couple dozen other blonde women on television? Like, she wasn't even actually bad at her job? She just failed to stand out in a crowd? And for that, finding out that she got canned brought a smile to your face?

Ashley just didn't do it for me as a SportsCenter anchor. Maybe it's because of personal reasons, maybe it was because she's just that type of a reporter/anchor. But she sure as heck wasn't the reason why I would ever watch the late night version of SportsCenter.
The first time I'd ever heard of Ashley Brewer was reading your post. Even with you posting a picture of her, I wouldn't know who she was if she were standing next to me wearing a t-shirt that said, "I'm Ashley Brewer" on it. So, I'm not caping up for her so much as I'm taken aback by the reason you expressed for being happy that she lost her job. If someone I was merely "not a fan" of lost their job, I wouldn't even find it noteworthy.

I guess, to your point, rather than saying something like "I am smiling because she's no longer employed", I should've said something like "Well, Ashley is someone who I won't necessarily miss because she just didn't do it for me as a SportsCenter anchor. She just didn't excite me as much as others have in the past, and still do today to make me want to tune in to SC when she was on".
I've got zero objections to you being happy someone got fired. I'm happy to find out when people I don't like get fired, all the time. I suppose it's just a matter of, of all the reasons to dislike someone, the one you gave us is one that I'm least capable of relating to.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

This is where it is. I mean, salute to Claire Weinstein, and she may very well be the future of American swimming, but the 200m is, like, Ledecky's fourth-best event. Wake me up when somebody can see her in the 800m.

Whoa …

As if the competition for Paris wasn’t loaded enough, now one of the most decorated and celebrated legends of collegiate women’s gymnastics, Trinity Thomas, is throwing her hat in the ring for the 2024 five-woman team.

With Biles, Lee, Carey, Chiles, Jones, and McClain already set to compete for a spot, makes me wish we could send a modern Magnificent 7.

https://olympics.com/en/news/trinity-thomas-says-she-s-aiming-for-paris-2024

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Whoa …

As if the competition for Paris wasn’t loaded enough, now one of the most decorated and celebrated legends of collegiate women’s gymnastics, Trinity Thomas, is throwing her hat in the ring for the 2024 5 woman team.

With Biles, Lee, Carey, Chiles, Jones, and McClain already set to compete for a spot, makes me wish we could send a modern Magnificent 7.

https://olympics.com/en/news/trinity-thomas-says-she-s-aiming-for-paris-2024
It's historic to even have so many former champions be in the running for Paris: we're talking about a sport where, historically speaking, you're considered washed up at twenty.

What in the what?!

Now Gabby Douglas is making a come back too?

“I know I have a huge task ahead of me and I am beyond grateful and excited to get back out on the floor. There’s so much to be said but for now … let’s do this.”

… who’s next, Pegasus?

Last edited:
Generally speaking, if I would describe myself as "not a fan" of someone, I am completely ambivalent about their employment status. For me to be happy about someone getting fired, they would have to have done something that I found objectionable. The way your post read, the thing that she did that you found objectionable was... not distinguish herself from a couple dozen other blonde women on television? Like, she wasn't even actually bad at her job? She just failed to stand out in a crowd? And for that, finding out that she got canned brought a smile to your face?

The first time I'd ever heard of Ashley Brewer was reading your post. Even with you posting a picture of her, I wouldn't know who she was if she were standing next to me wearing a t-shirt that said, "I'm Ashley Brewer" on it. So, I'm not caping up for her so much as I'm taken aback by the reason you expressed for being happy that she lost her job. If someone I was merely "not a fan" of lost their job, I wouldn't even find it noteworthy.

I've got zero objections to you being happy someone got fired. I'm happy to find out when people I don't like get fired, all the time. I suppose it's just a matter of, of all the reasons to dislike someone, the one you gave us is one that I'm least capable of relating to.

You're just S£impicking his wording.

@QWERTYLICIOUS did say he's happy and presented that he is "not a fan", but technically he's not "happy" that she's being laid off. He's just "happy" that, given that she's laid off, things might change and fit more to his liking.

I'm sure most people, as you said, did not find any temperamental change from finding out a neutral someone having a change of employment status. :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Alvaro Martin (ESP) wins the first gold medal at the World Athletics Championships, in the men's 20km racewalk. The best finish for an American was Nick Christie, who came in at 41st with a Season's Best.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Update from Budapest:
  • Ryan Crouser and Joe Kovacs (USA) go Gold/Bronze in the men's shot put, with Crouser setting a new championship record.
  • Ehtiopia sweeps the podium in the women's 10,000m. Sifan Hassan (NED) had the lead down the stretch, but stumbled at the line! Alicia Monson had the best finish for an American, placing 5th.
  • United States wins the Mixed 4x 400m relay, in World Record time! Great Britain takes silver, Czech Republic bronze. Another late fall decided a medal, as Gold medal favorite Netherlands held the lead down the stretch, but reigning European Champion Femke Bol stumbled mere feet from the finish line and dropped the baton, allowing GBR and CZE to pass Netherlands for medals.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 2 Budapest update:
  • Noah Lyles (USA) wins the men's 100m.
  • Joshua Cheptegei (UGA) wins the men's 10,000m. Top US finish was William Kincaid, who placed 11th.
  • Ethan Katzberg (CAN) wins the men's Hammer Throw, with a National Record. Top US finish was Daniel Haugh, who placed 6th.
  • Maria Pérez (ESP) wins the women's 20km racewalk. This event did not feature an US participant.
  • Ivana Vuleta (SRB) wins the women's long jump. Tara Davis-Woodhall (USA) wins silver.
  • Katarina Johnson-Thompson (GBR) wins the Heptathlon. Anna Hall (USA) wins silver.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 3 Budapest update:
  • Grant Holloway (USA) wins the men's 110m hurdles, with a Season's Best. Daniel Roberts (USA) wins bronze.
  • Hugues Fabricia Zango (BFA) wins the men's triple jump. Best US finish was Will Clave, who finished seventh.
  • Daniel Stähl (SWE) wins the men's discus. Best US finish is Brian Williams, who placed ninth.
  • Sha'Carri Richardson (USA) wins the women's 100m, with a Championship Record.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 4 Budapest update:
  • Soufiane El Bakkali (MOR) wins the men's 3000m steeplechase. Top US finish was Kenneth Rooks, who placed tenth.
  • Gianmarco Tamberi (ITA) wins the men's high jump. JuVaughn Harrison (USA) wins silver.
  • Faith Kipyegon (KEN) wins the women's 1500m. Top US finish was Cory McGee, who placed tenth.
  • Laulauga Tausaga (USA) wins the women's discus, with a Personal Best. Valarie Allman (USA) wins silver. Reigning World Champion Bin Feng (CHN) settles for bronze.
    • Allman came in as the favorite to win the first-ever Gold Medal in this event for the United States; she took the lead on her first throw and held it all the way until the fifth round. Tausaga, who finished twelfth at WC in Oregon last year, and barely qualified for Budapest, had the throw of her life to crash the party.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was really looking forward to the women's 400m final tomorrow, but then I learned that Femke Bol wasn't participating in the event, and Sydney McLaughlin withdrew from the entire competition due to injury, and now my hype level for the race has gone straight into the toilet.

With no McLaughlin in the competition and former champion Dalilah Muhammad failing to qualify, Bol is expected to be the favorite in Thursday's 400m hurdles final, but she may get a challenge from USA's Shamier Little.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 5 Budapest update:
  • Josh Kerr (GBR) wins the men's 1500m, with a Season's Best. Top US finish was Yared Nguse, who placed fifth.
  • Reigning Olympic Champion Carsten Warholm (NOR) wins the men's 400m hurdles. Kyron McMaster (BVI) wins silver, delivering the first ever medal in the World Athletics Championships for the British Virgin Islands. Rai Benjamin (USA) wins bronze.
  • In a race that was missing most of the favorites, Marileidy Paulino (DOM) wins the women's 400m, with a National Record, delivering only the second-ever Gold Medal at the World Athletics Championships for the Dominican Republic, and their first individual gold! Talitha Diggs, the sole US qualifier, finished last.
  • Nina Kennedy (AUS) and Katie Moon (USA) tie in the women's pole vault. Both women were tied for first after their alloted number of jumps, and opted to exercise precedent and share the gold medal, rather than move to a jump-off.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 6 Budapest update:
  • Alvaro Martín (ESP) wins the men's 35km racewalk with a National Record, completing a two-event sweep. There are no listed US participants in the event.
  • María Pérez (ESP) wins the women's 35km racewalk, with a Championship Record, and completing a sweep of her own. Top US finish was Maria Michita-Coffey, who placed twenty-fourth.
  • Danielle Williams (JAM) wins the 100m hurdles, with a Season's Best. Kendra Harrison (USA) gets bronze.
  • Antonio Watson (JAM) wins the men's 400m. Quincy Hall (USA) wins bronze, with a Personal Best.
  • As expected, without Sydney McLaughlin in the draw, Femke Bol (NED) handily wins the women's 400m hurdles. Shamier Little (USA) wins silver, with a Season's Best.
  • Miltiadis Tentoglou (GRE) wins the men's long jump, with a Season's Best. Top US finish was William Williams, who placed eighth.
  • Camryn Rogers (CAN) wins the women's hammer throw. Janee' Kassanavoid and DeAnna Price (USA) win silver and bronze, respectively.

This is the first day of the competition in which the United States did not win at least one Gold Medal.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Day 7 Budapest update:
  • Yulimar Rojas (VEN) wins the women's triple jump, on her final attempt. Top US finish was Keturah Orji, who placed eighth.
  • Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) wins the women's javelin, on her final attempt. No US competitors qualified for the final.
  • Sherika Jackson (JAM) wins the women's 200m, with a Championship Record! Gabrielle Thomas (USA) wins silver. Sha'Carri Richardson (USA) wins bronze, with a Personal Best!
  • Noah Lyles (USA) wins the men's 200m. Erriyon Knighton (USA) wins silver.

Wow, so Biles basically obliterated everyone on the first day of the US Gymnastics Championships. She’s the All-Around leader by a country mile after winning all but one event convincingly.

Like, her vault score (15.700) is a full point higher than second place (Jocelyn Roberson - 14.650). To put that in perspective, there is as big of a gap on vault between Biles in first and Roberson in second, as there is between Roberson in second and Marissa Neal in 17th (13.600).

But that’s not without reason. Her Yurchenko double pike is quite literally impossible for her opponents to mimic.

And the event she didn’t win - bars, which she has previously said she’d like to take apart with a chainsaw - she came in third.

In other words, she’s all the way back.

Other standouts: Shilese Jones (who is evidently officially going by “Shi” now) continued the strong momentum from last year’s Nationals and Worlds, winning bars and settling into a strong second, just over 2.5 points behind Biles. Blakely, Wong, and Chiles all turned in solid day ones, which is especially cool for Blakely, who stumbled during her few appearances at Worlds.

Lee is still coming back slowly from her kidney issue and only competed in two events, not including bars, her signature event. Not much to write home about for Carey either after a pretty pedestrian performance put her at the back of the pack.

Well, see ya Sunday.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What I enjoy most about sports like Athletics and swimming is that every medalist is a legitimate winner. If you finish in second place, you won silver. Contrast that to team sports, and even some individual sports, like tennis or combat sports, or even fencing. Like, you can't win silver in basketball. you can only lose gold.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
What I enjoy most about sports like Athletics and swimming is that every medalist is a legitimate winner. If you finish in second place, you won silver. Contrast that to team sports, and even some individual sports, like tennis or combat sports, or even fencing. Like, you can't win silver in basketball. you can only lose gold.
Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense.