[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't even be too surprised if they end up finishing above the US in the standings when the smoke clears.
I don't watch Men's USA soccer but from an individual perspective, they have some quality players on that roster that are playing all over European leagues but I don't think they mesh well together on the pitch as a unit

I don't watch Men's USA soccer but from an individual perspective, they have some quality players on that roster that are playing all over European leagues but I don't think they mesh well together on the pitch as a unit
If not US, then which club(s) do you primarily follow (both at the international level as well as the club/league level)?

do you have any teams you support?
Outside of both national teams (men's and women's), the Quakes (MLS), and Republic FC (USL), I don't religiously follow any clubs/teams/leagues. I'll, very low-key, keep an eye on the EPL table, just to be able to have somewhat of a soccer conversation with my brother-in-law, but outside of that, I'll only watch if a televised match sparks my interest (which usually means that the teams better be towards the top of the table at the time of the match).

I am still holding on the "slight" hope that the Republic FC will find their way up to the MLS in the near future. And, if luck is on my side, and I am back in the area by then, I'll invest in tickets.

Collegiate Women’s Gymnastics is like a parallel universe where women’s sports are the single biggest thing on the planet, and every meet has the energy of the Rose Bowl.

Had the pleasure of catching the battle between #1 Michigan and #2 OU last weekend because the pizza place where we hosted my daughter’s birthday happened to be showing it on TV.

Whole different experience than trying to follow box scores like a baseball fan in the 50s. I really need to join this century.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am still holding on the "slight" hope that the Republic FC will find their way up to the MLS in the near future. And, if luck is on my side, and I am back in the area by then, I'll invest in tickets.
I think MLS needs to lower their expansion fee as it's a pyramid scheme at this point. I just tell everyone watching my Timbers crash and burn right now, to enjoy what Republic FC and TBB offer because it isn't always rosier on the other side. Yes the play is better. yes, you'll see Euro stars on retirement tours and you'll see some B+ level South American talent like Timbers have brought in.

I guess I am still rooting to be able to do a Sac away to see the Timbers take on the Republic. I could even switch allegiances if Merritt isn't forced to sell the teams by the time I move out of town.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Outside of both national teams (men's and women's), the Quakes (MLS), and Republic FC (USL), I don't religiously follow any clubs/teams/leagues. I'll, very low-key, keep an eye on the EPL table, just to be able to have somewhat of a soccer conversation with my brother-in-law, but outside of that, I'll only watch if a televised match sparks my interest (which usually means that the teams better be towards the top of the table at the time of the match).

if the only soccer you consume for the most part is MLS and USL you are depriving yourself of some quality soccer in the Euros. You don't even need to have a team to support, just watching for the pure tactical and beautiful flow of Euro soccer is good enough

if the only soccer you consume for the most part is MLS and USL you are depriving yourself of some quality soccer in the Euros. You don't even need to have a team to support, just watching for the pure tactical and beautiful flow of Euro soccer is good enough
Let me clarify what I truly meant by my first statement. I don't necessarily watch any Quakes and/or Republic FC matches. Well, now that I live in Vegas, unless both are televised nationally, or locally when it comes to the Republic, as Vegas also has a USL club. When I lived in Roseville, I used to watch as many Quakes and Republic matches as I could find on TV. I'll try to watch every televised men's and women's national team match, however, and that, also, is if the match is televised on a channel that I have. If I don't have the channel, I most likely won't even know that it is on.

To your last statement, I totally agree. On the "rare" occasion that I find myself watching an EPL match, I do enjoy the tactical and flow aspect of it as you mentioned. Especially when both sides are so evenly matched. 0 - 0 draws and 1 - 0 matches in soccer are probably some of my favorite sporting events to watch. But, if I don't necessarily care about either of the clubs, I won't bother watching.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Let me clarify what I truly meant by my first statement. I don't necessarily watch any Quakes and/or Republic FC matches. Well, now that I live in Vegas, unless both are televised nationally, or locally when it comes to the Republic, as Vegas also has a USL club. When I lived in Roseville, I used to watch as many Quakes and Republic matches as I could find on TV. I'll try to watch every televised men's and women's national team match, however, and that, also, is if the match is televised on a channel that I have. If I don't have the channel, I most likely won't even know that it is on.

To your last statement, I totally agree. On the "rare" occasion that I find myself watching an EPL match, I do enjoy the tactical and flow aspect of it as you mentioned. Especially when both sides are so evenly matched. 0 - 0 draws and 1 - 0 matches in soccer are probably some of my favorite sporting events to watch. But, if I don't necessarily care about either of the clubs, I won't bother watching.
do you ever tune in to watch the Champions League?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
So Calgary's going to have a major league hockey club and a minor league hockey club both named the Flames?
I think that's likely mis-worded or worded in a confusing way - the Flames minor league (AHL) affiliate will also be playing in Calgary. Kind of like the San Jose Sharks and San Jose Barracuda (the Sharks AHL affiliate).

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Just FYI to the local peeps - the Stockton Heat (hockey) team is in the playoffs.
Just a reminder - the team is in the Conference Finals now. Home games are 6/8 and 6/10 (I'm going to that one with friends), and maybe 6/11 if the series goes longer than 4 games.

Go enjoy some local playoff hockey!