Soul searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have been a Kings fan since the day they became the Sacramento Kings. At first, it was just about rooting for the home team. It didn't take long, though, for it to become something more.

If you never attended a game in the old Arco Arena, it's hard to explain the atmosphere. There was magic in the air. Those who were there know what I mean. Those who weren't won't understand.

Over the years, the passion just continued to grow. Our team wasn't good but we supported them through thick and thin. We had a sellout streak that boggled the minds of NBA experts. They couldn't understand how we could come out night after night and support a losing team.

I won't bother to repeat the tales of the rise of the Kings to the rarefied air of playing past mid-April. It peaked with the 2002 WCF, and we had no reason to think it would stop there...but it did

Through it all, my family remained loyal to the Kings. Even when fans were leaving in droves, we stayed. We knew in our hearts the Kings would not leave Sacramento. We supported Carmichael Dave, Mike Tavares, and all the other grassroots guys who worked so hard to keep the team here against all odds.

Bad trades, horrible draft picks, a coaching merry-go-round that never seemed to stop. It didn't matter. We remained loyal. We even continued to buy the jerseys of our favorite players, even though we should have probably just set fire to the $$.

I don't know what else to say. I have always tried to maintain a positive attitude. I've tried to keep the faith and encouraged others to do the same.

Now though? I'm just about done. It wasn't cheap for my family to attend opening night, especially when you add in the cost of some of us traveling nearly 200 miles round trip to meet up for our annual outing. One round of beverages for our group was nearly $150.

Don't get me wrong. I love the opportunity to see my family and friends and share the tradition of "opening night". It's not about the Kings any more, though, as much as it is about the experience. And I can get the experience without the angst and disappointment.

I don't blame Vlade. I don't blame Vivek. I don't blame Luke. I don't blame the players themselves. I'm past trying to point fingers. Whatever the reason, I'm just not passionate enough to blame anyone.

For someone who has been an ardent fan for decades, not caring is worse than being angry. I hope it's temporary. I don't know what it would be to not eat and breathe basketball from October to April - and I'm afraid to find out.

I have been a Kings fan since the day they became the Sacramento Kings. At first, it was just about rooting for the home team. It didn't take long, though, for it to become something more.

If you never attended a game in the old Arco Arena, it's hard to explain the atmosphere. There was magic in the air. Those who were there know what I mean. Those who weren't won't understand.

Over the years, the passion just continued to grow. Our team wasn't good but we supported them through thick and thin. We had a sellout streak that boggled the minds of NBA experts. They couldn't understand how we could come out night after night and support a losing team.

I won't bother to repeat the tales of the rise of the Kings to the rarefied air of playing past mid-April. It peaked with the 2002 WCF, and we had no reason to think it would stop there...but it did

Through it all, my family remained loyal to the Kings. Even when fans were leaving in droves, we stayed. We knew in our hearts the Kings would not leave Sacramento. We supported Carmichael Dave, Mike Tavares, and all the other grassroots guys who worked so hard to keep the team here against all odds.

Bad trades, horrible draft picks, a coaching merry-go-round that never seemed to stop. It didn't matter. We remained loyal. We even continued to buy the jerseys of our favorite players, even though we should have probably just set fire to the $$.

I don't know what else to say. I have always tried to maintain a positive attitude. I've tried to keep the faith and encouraged others to do the same.

Now though? I'm just about done. It wasn't cheap for my family to attend opening night, especially when you add in the cost of some of us traveling nearly 200 miles round trip to meet up for our annual outing. One round of beverages for our group was nearly $150.

Don't get me wrong. I love the opportunity to see my family and friends and share the tradition of "opening night". It's not about the Kings any more, though, as much as it is about the experience. And I can get the experience without the angst and disappointment.

I don't blame Vlade. I don't blame Vivek. I don't blame Luke. I don't blame the players themselves. I'm past trying to point fingers. Whatever the reason, I'm just not passionate enough to blame anyone.

For someone who has been an ardent fan for decades, not caring is worse than being angry. I hope it's temporary. I don't know what it would be to not eat and breathe basketball from October to April - and I'm afraid to find out.
"Not caring is worse than being angry".

Ain't that the truth VF. Well said.

You know things are really bad when @VF21 is questioning her fandom. Kinda like when ‘Positive Dave’ had a moment of negativity. I sure wish that dude was still around now. We could really use one of his pep talks!

I‘ve been a fan of this team since 1985. KINGS basketball quickly became my favorite sports thing alongside the NFL which was my very first passion that started when I was 6 years old. Before the KINGS moved to SAC, I didn’t know or care all that much about basketball. But within a few years, my love for the KINGS rivaled my love for my favorite NFL team. Never thought that could happen.

But as I mentioned in another thread, my passion is burning out. I’m starting not to care either.

It was tough to bounce back from the 1998 - 2004 era. But I did it. It was even tougher to go through the what seemed like slow death relocation saga. But I did it.

But this losing and inept nonsense has gone on too long.

Cubs, Red Sox, and Indians fans might chuckle at us. I mean, they suffered for a lot longer, right?

Not necessarily. While they may not have won titles, they at least had some good teams to follow. Playoff teams. Teams that even reached the WS.

KINGS fans don’t even know what it’s like to reach a Finals. And younger fans don’t even know what a playoff series feels like.

Thats why the 40 games thing felt so important last season. Because it would numerically represent a certain level of progress. We didn’t even get that.

Now, after years of high draft picks and renewed hope, we have already had our offseason excitement crushed within the first 5 games of the season.

At some point enough is enough.

Well said by all, RIP. And I too have been loyal Kings fan since foot stomping days of the old, original Arco Arena that inaugural season 1985-86. Have been such utter shock of late with this opening debacle not able or willing to post. Now am about to remove my Sac Kings license plate frame installed first time back around days another horrible debacle (Coach Kenny Natt era/error 2008-09 producing NBA worst record 17-65). What could be worse than that? Who knows but don't want to find out to suffer embarrassment driving around town as if I proudly own this laughing stock, never ending disaster. Yes, enough is enough when there is no light at end of the long snake bit tunnel.

I’m right there with you. After so many years, I think this team may have finally beaten me. I’m an old enough person now to realize life is best spent doing thing that make you happy, with people that make you happy. This currently feels like a bad relationship. A marriage that had gone on for about 10 years too long at this point and may need to just break the cycle so all sides can move on with their life. Dramatic sounding, I know, but I think the vast majority of people on the forum have lived with such emotional investment in this team that we probably need some sort of intervention. Is it possible that saving the team from moving to Seattle was like having another kid to try to save a bad marriage? The inevitable eventually happens.

5 games into a year I had such high hopes (likely too optimistic in even the best of chances) and I already am apathetic to game 6 tonight. I think that’s telling me something....

Maybe I’m still a little tipsy from last night, but that made me tear up VF. What a nightmare this season has been...it’s even broken you :(
Btw I can buy 2 1/2 bottles of Bogle Chardonnay for what I pay for some little pour at G1C :mad:

Kings will have some competition in town as well.... We got a soccer team.

I am holding out hope that we hit a miracle tonight and win then go on a winning streak

We thought we would be better. Losing Bagley and then finding out that Dedmon is a below average player took the wind out of my sails.
I will admit that letting Willie go was a mistake.
This coach needs to wake up and show us something real soon.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A lot of good things could happen and lord only knows but the Giles news yesterday pretty much brought me back to how I felt the day I heard Cousins had been traded.
Yup. It’s more minor in the grand scheme of things, his knees are probably destroyed, but this is my breaking point like THE TRADE or when [REDACTED] was not picked.

Except this time I’m not logging off and leaving on a soul searching sabbatical. I’m here to watch the world burn because I straight up don’t care anymore. This franchise deserves the worst until there’s a complete overhaul from top to bottom.

#FoolsGold

We were tricked. Played. Convinced ourselves of something that was not.
I don't honestly believe that, but the Giles thing sure makes me feel that way. And the worst part about that is they can't clarify anything until he is either traded, cut, or re-signed at the end of the season when it would all make sense. So best case is we've been strung along about how awesome dude is going to be for us and now we're likely strung along for 7 more months. Feels Maloofian tbh.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't honestly believe that, but the Giles thing sure makes me feel that way. And the worst part about that is they can't clarify anything until he is either traded, cut, or re-signed at the end of the season when it would all make sense. So best case is we've been strung along about how awesome dude is going to be for us and now we're likely strung along for 7 more months. Feels Maloofian tbh.
They played an unsustainable style and once the league figured the Kings out we sucked again. This is a team that doesn’t know how to actually play the game, Package that with awful trades, bad picks, puzzling decisions... it is what it is.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I am not ready to stop being a fan. I will just be doing more reading when Kings' games are on to stay positive.
Sports are not for the weak minded. It takes mental toughness to play basketball and it takes even more to be a Kings' fan.
Frankly, if the Kings' players had the mental toughness of the fans on this board there is no way in hell they would be 0-5.

They played an unsustainable style and once the league figured the Kings out we sucked again. This is a team that doesn’t know how to actually play the game, Package that with awful trades, bad picks, puzzling decisions... it is what it is.
I honestly don't know if that's true. I think we are both in the vocal group right now that saw last seasons fall off as a warning, you think it's style whereas I think it was more Joerger misusing the refreshed lineup. Right now it feels more than anything that the reason we are losing is because Buddy has lost his touch and Bogi is playing like a bozo, plus Bagley - let's be honest, if he who were not to be named were out right now his team would be losing too. It's a real kick in the nuts no matter which side of the Bagley spectrum you fall on to have him missing extended time right now. But Bagley is going to get this team easy buckets, he is going to boost Fox's confidence which is crushed when his teammates can't hit their shots, and maybe give the rest of the guys an extra second to breathe and they'll start to hit some shots.

But I thought this team would win 45 games and at least be in the hunt again 2 weeks ago, right now I think we are looking like a 27 win team. And the fact that a Ball brother is one of the top prospects isn't exciting me about the lotto either.

It’s all my fault. I was a season ticket holder for 34 years until my 89th birthday this summer. I dropped out because of physical limitations, not for loss of fanhood.

I like the players, the coaches, and Vlade too much to let an 0-5 or even an 0-10 start take me out f the games although I do understand what VF21 is going through. I hope she can hang in there.

This start without a win is a real disappointment but with a hard working tight group like I think we have, I’m looking forward to the next 10 games.

At my age I was hoping the team’s improve would continue. Not so far but I’m hanging in there. Go Kings!

A lot of good things could happen and lord only knows but the Giles news yesterday pretty much brought me back to how I felt the day I heard Cousins had been traded.
for real?
Not for me Giles wasn’t gonna be a savior no matter how high we were on him. The boogie news the ripped my soul took a while to recover

for real?
Not for me Giles wasn’t gonna be a savior no matter how high we were on him. The boogie news the ripped my soul took a while to recover
It's not that I thought Giles would be a savior, it's the feeling that the franchise has been blatantly lying to you for god knows how long that is the nut kicker. He's just about to return. He's a huge part of the core. We love what he's been showing can't wait til you see it. How can any of that be real when we've basically begun the long, slow process of separating from him. Also 5 games into an 82 game season is a very, very long time to be with someone you've effectively given up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.