Sir Charles The Fool

I think Barkley is great. His main criticism of the Kings has been that they are weak on defense. Many posters here say the same thing. Charles is on the show to be funny and contraversial. I like him because he says what he thinks, sometimes it's stupid, but other times it's on target. The great thing about the TNT show is that they realise all this sport commentary is just a bunch of bs anyway, so they try to have fun with it.
People shouldn't take sports commentaters seriously anyway.

I think this whole conversation about Sir Charles' abilities is hilarious when we have to listen 82 times a season to Jerry Reynolds coming up with some stupid Bibby nickname.

Bricklayer said:
Some people are just easily entertained. :rolleyes:

Watching a bunch of monkees fighting over a banana would probably be mildly amusing too, but when you tune in hoping to hear even a single intelligent comment about basketball -- you know that thing they show in between the half and postgame shows -- having a blathering idiot bragging about how he's been watching Kojak whicle the game is on is just stupid.
Them's fightin' words. I know you hate him, but come on now... he's really not all that bad and he does make some poignant comments every once in a while. Plus, I like Kenny's analysis, but Barkley keeps it from being "stats and scores", which would bore the hell out of me. Why not get analysis and a hilarious idiot talking about stuff that makes little to no sense to add to the entertainment value? To me, that's more interesting than three guys in glasses with calculators and 12,000 pages of notes discussing the intricacies of a game that I have been watching for myself anyways.

I can't watch those TNT guys for more than a minute or two. It is like watching one of those stupid "reality" shows or that amateur singing program. To me, it's like fingernails on a blackboard. TNT Sports is right up there with moisturizer advertisements and Democracy Now interviews.

Last edited:
I'm usually entertained by the TNT guys, and that's my most important thing when watching sports.

Charles does have a mental block about the Kings, not sure if it's the Euro element or what, but his comments about us border on sheer idiocy. That really annoys me, but otherwise he's entertaining. Ernie and Kenny are legit.

The crew that Greg Anthony appears with and Steven A. Smith - I don't really have an opinon cuz I can't watch them for more than three minutes....hey I guess that IS an opinion - THEY SUCK!

T

thesanityannex

bbb said:
GET OVER IT!!!! Charles always liked Webber; he did not like the way he didn't always dominate the game. THE REASON? The Kings' princeton offense which allows for ball movement. THis is the best and worst part of our team: It is poetry in motion when running well, but every CHAMPIONSHIP team has had a go-to-guy in the clutch. Whenever Webb tried to be that man, people got on him. Charles simply stated how Kings fans should get off Webber's back.

He did not like the Kings, and for good reason (we always choked). ANyways...he is hillarious and does know what he is talking about.

how exactly could webber dominate a game??? forget the princeton offense, a forward cant dominate a game by taking jump shots all day. i have no complaint with charles telling fans to get off his back, my complaint is him calling the rest of the kings "slugs". and you call it choking, i like to think of it as a series of extremely unfortunate events.

thesanityannex said:
is anyone else sick of hearing barkley run his mouth about webber. last year he calls him a chump, now, hes like charles new best friend. how can someone change their opinion so fast. i believe he really just hates the kings. he talks about how webber had no supporting cast in sactown, like he does now in philly. i cant stand it. i think now, charles just feels bad for the aging, injured cwebb. must remind him of himself.
One year can do a lot to change a mind of a person, even Sir Charles. Webber has a "supporting cast" headed by an MVP type of player in AI. Can Kings fans say the same about Webbers' guys in Sacramento?

Last edited:
Charles is a great guy.

I just have to say that I met Charles last summer and he was VERY kind and funny.(he came over to say hi to my daughter on leave from Iraq) I don't like it when he dogs the Kings either, believe me. In fact, after speaking to him in person, it hurt MORE when he dogged the Kings. Oh well. Just wanted to say, he's Great....in person.

thesanityannex said:
how exactly could webber dominate a game??? forget the princeton offense, a forward cant dominate a game by taking jump shots all day. i have no complaint with charles telling fans to get off his back, my complaint is him calling the rest of the kings "slugs". and you call it choking, i like to think of it as a series of extremely unfortunate events.
You just made my point for me. With our offense, the 4/5 guys play at the high post and the offense runs through them. What I'm saying is that it's hard to dominate when you are a power forward playing at the high post. Remember all those times when Webber finally got the ball in the low post and held the ball for a second or two? Let me refresh your memory: *Kings Fans* "OOhhhh," "Not again," "pass the ball, Webb," etc....

Kings fans at ARCO simply moaned and groaned nearly everytime Webber got the ball. It's not Webber's fault that he and Bibby were the only ones willing and able to take a last-minute shot. The choking reference was aimed at Peja.

T

thesanityannex

Lamar_Odom said:
One year can do a lot to change a mind of a person, even Sir Charles. Webber has a "supporting cast" headed by an MVP type of player in AI. Can Kings fans say the same about Webbers' guys in Sacramento?
not exactly sure what the last question means??? who is his supporting cast in philly. i wouldnt take them for any of the kings supporting cast. minus a.i.
are you referring to the supporting cast when webber was in sac?
webber seemed to have a better supporting cast in sacramento, his stats showed that. he needs to be in an offense where he can be more effective and move the ball..
although, i do like watching him shoot threes now with philly.

T

thesanityannex

bbb said:
You just made my point for me. With our offense, the 4/5 guys play at the high post and the offense runs through them. What I'm saying is that it's hard to dominate when you are a power forward playing at the high post. Remember all those times when Webber finally got the ball in the low post and held the ball for a second or two? Let me refresh your memory: *Kings Fans* "OOhhhh," "Not again," "pass the ball, Webb," etc....

Kings fans at ARCO simply moaned and groaned nearly everytime Webber got the ball. It's not Webber's fault that he and Bibby were the only ones willing and able to take a last-minute shot. The choking reference was aimed at Peja.
i understand what youre saying now. i think he played more at the high post later in his career because of his lack of mobility and athleticism. i miss the webber of old.

How many people bagging on Charles, talking about all the stupid comments he makes are glued to the TV to hear all those stupid comments? Come on, admit it.

for the record, the one player i think that charles has ever respected on the kings was chris webber... he consistently has praised him and remains as one one of the few media members who does...i remember his saying how terrible the webber trade was as well...he even said during thus years playoffs that it was unfair that webber got all the blame of the team since "them other guys dont show in the playoffs"

as for last year - charles vehemently applauded webb's effort and i disticntly remember his saying during game 7 vs. minnesota that "webb came to play ball tonight"

When they were picking their All star team, Kenny had Chris on his first team and Charles didn't knock it. I think he was on Charles' reserves team but they both agreed he should be there.

I find myself alternatively annoyed and amused by Charles, but tend towards annoyed. My all time favorite Charles moment EVER was last year after the playoffs when he interviewed Bibby & kept making these points about how you need x,y & z to WIN a championship... Bibby kept kind of blowing him off and Charles kept coming back with these very pointed remarks about how,"Mike, don't you think a team REALLY needs to do this (can't even remember the specifics) to do a championship"... Evidently Bibby finally got annoyed, because he finally said, "REALLY, and how would YOU know...????" Shut Barkley up really quick & gave me the biggest smile I've ever had when watching him....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
twodogmac said:
Hey, gotta love the guy, he is smart and funny. Makes Magic look like a dolt!
Funny you might be able to convince me about...

Smart? As compared to a box of rocks, maybe. But that's probably unfair to the rocks.

;)