Shaq is the MVP Hands Down

This is the best argument I have seen why Shaq O'Neal not Steve Nash is the 2005 NBA MVP. Now I know that Nash is the popular pick. Why I have no idea. But in my mind there is no doubt who the MVP is.

From ESPN's Page 2's Bill Simmons. (I do not agree with him most of the time, but this I do agree with.....)

Steve Nash
Put it this way: If Nash won the MVP, it would be ...

A. The first time a table-setter won the award.

B. The first time a non-franchise player won the award.

C. The first time a complete liability on the defensive end won the award.

I know he's been immensely fun to watch, and he's making everyone who ever cared about the point guard position proud. But an MVP? You're telling me that Bibby or Kidd wouldn't have been just as successful with Stoudemire, Marion, Johnson and Q on their team? Does anyone else find it depressing that the point guard position has fallen so dramatically over the years, it's practically cause for celebration when someone plays it correctly? I have a variety of methods for determining my MVP choice every year, and here's one: "If this were a pickup game, based on how everyone's playing this season, who would get picked first?"

(And while we're on the subject, the late Ralph Wiley would have brought up the "Would everyone be making this big of a deal about Steve Nash if he were black?" card about three months ago. And had fun with it.)

Shaquille O'Neal

Try to follow this equation:

A. The Lakers won 57 games last year ... they're headed for 35 wins this year.

B. The Heat won 42 games last year ... they're headed for 62 wins this year.

I'm no John Hollinger, but even I can add that up: That's a 42-game swing, not to mention the balance of power shifting to the East. And yes, that should have been enough to win Shaq another MVP. But this year has been special in the sense that people get him now – he's had a breakout season, only in the personality sense. Now there isn't a more beloved, charismatic, entertaining athlete in any sport. When I think of the 2004-2005 season, I'm going to think of Shaq first ... and that's the very definition of an MVP. At least to me.

I'd say it could go to either guy, but to say that it's Shaq hands-down is BS. The Suns won 29 games last year and are headed for 60-plus this year. And the main factor isn't seriously considered for MVP....that ain't right.

When you play with a guy who you KNOW is going to pass you the ball, you will really haul *** on a fastbreak.

Nash will win the award. He'll win it because of his play, and because he's a nice, non-controversial and safe guy. Shaq will come close, but it's Nash's award to lose.

Ugh Nash has 2 fellow All-Stars plus another 2 talented players on the court at all times. Shaq just has Wade...the rest of the team is rather paltry. That is usually also added to the equation. Shaq also plays D. Both players led to their teams "arrival," both players make there teammates better. Thing is when is the last time a point guard who didn't play D won the title. I don't think it's ever happened. The last point guard to win the title was Magic (AI played the 2, Magic the 1) and magic is really a point forward. Most MVP's play the 2, 4 or 5 positions. 1 and 3 really haven't gotten the same respect.

Nash isn't necessarily a liability on the defensive end this season. He's no doberman, of course, but he isn't the turnstile he'd been in previous seasons. That might have something to do with the two shot-blockers that he has behind him.

What if Cleveland didn't have Lebron??? They might still be looking for their 1st win. LOL I agree though its gotta be Shaq! He's always the MVP, they just cant give it to him every year!

Purple Reign said:
Steve Nash
Put it this way: If Nash won the MVP, it would be ...

A. The first time a table-setter won the award.

B. The first time a non-franchise player won the award.

C. The first time a complete liability on the defensive end won the award.
Point A is stupid. I think a PG's intangibles should be counted. That said, I think the defensive liability point is a huge one. Shaq can be beat(see pick and roll detroit), but his presence is always noticed.

I hate Shaq, but he deserves it. I'd love to see Stevie get it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Canadians.

Purple Reign said:
A. The Lakers won 57 games last year ... they're headed for 35 wins this year.

B. The Heat won 42 games last year ... they're headed for 62 wins this year.
The Suns won 29 games last year without Nash, and are 57-18 this year with him.

That, to me, is more impressive than Snaq's turnaround in Miami.

Neither one is MVP in my opinion, just because Nash has a great supporting crew, and Shaq has D-Wade.

Lebron, on the other hand, has only Zydrunas, and has propelled the Cavs into the playoffs. My pick for MVP, "hands down".

Nash has upped the Suns wins by 28, but his former team is headed to a better record without him than with him. They were 52-30 last year with Nash, 52-24 this year without Nash. That speaks volumes.

Meanwhile, the Lakers will drop around 20 games from last year, 57 to somewhere between 35-38 most likely, all the while has has upped the Heat around 20 games.

So, in total, Shaq has produced a 40 win swing whereas Nash is going to end up around 25-30.

Shaq is the MVP if Nash is his competition.

miles berg said:
Nash has upped the Suns wins by 28, but his former team is headed to a better record without him than with him. They were 52-30 last year with Nash, 52-24 this year without Nash. That speaks volumes.

Meanwhile, the Lakers will drop around 20 games from last year, 57 to somewhere between 35-38 most likely, all the while has has upped the Heat around 20 games.

So, in total, Shaq has produced a 40 win swing whereas Nash is going to end up around 25-30.

Shaq is the MVP if Nash is his competition.
Dirk is having a career year, without his buddy Nash setting it up. That explains Dallas' turnaround.

Plus, it won't seem so impressive after the Mavericks exit the playoffs after round 1 (hopefully). ;)

There's no hands down winner IMO, very close but I think Shaq should win over Nash. LBJ would have been more of a contender if the Cavs weren't falling apart right now but I guess we'll see who the "experts" pick.

i think whoever ends up with the better record will probably get the award... as much as people say it's an individual award, people are always going to compare the two by looking at the team as a whole