Sasha not coming over, Chima Moneke signing with us instead.

I’ll be your huckleberry. Ill play the game. Let’s the say the Kings keep both our 2nds. Two different scenarios that would be fun to play the what if game for myself

37 - Kendall Brown/Josh Minott/Bryce McGowen - SF

49 - Jabari Walker/Justin Lewis/Kenny Lofton Jr. - PF

UDFA - Keon Ellis, SG

or…

37 - EJ Lidell, PF

49 - Gui Santos/Darius Days/Ron Harper Jr. - SF

UDFA - Kwon Ellis, SG

I don’t think any PF we drafted in the 2nd would immediately come in and replace Lyles or Metu. But both Lyles and Metu are on one year deals and might be looking for more money and a better opportunity seeing as Murray will always be playing in front of them. Whichever guy we drafted in 2nd could develop however for the next three years and give us a future back up and depth behind Murray.

Same could be said with whomever we drafted to provide depth at SF. I don’t think any of them would see playing time over Barnes, Huerter, KZ but I don’t think Chima has much of a future in the league and drafting a guy who has developmental upside to be our SF 3 this year and possibly grow to become a decent role player. Which will be even more important to have with Barnes likely departure after this season.

I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here, we traded the 2nds for, in terms of this years team, nothing. I’ve moved on and it is what it is, however those who have issue with the trading of the 2nds I completely understand, there were missed opportunities to find cost controlled, upside players who at best provide cheap depth and role players for the coming years. At worst, if they don’t pan out they would leave us exactly where we’ll be next offseason (likely with some combination of Barnes, Lyles, Metu leaving and only one of KZ/Chima being worth minutes) which is in need of cost controlled, cheap depth behind our main core. It’s seemingly a missed opportunity due to lack of foresight and vision beyond this year.

The argument of “the kings don’t have roster room” falls a little short with the Chima signing as well as the still open roster spot. Chima and KZ could prove me completely wrong and be a missing ingredient that this team needed, I just think those odds are much higher than one of the players I named panning out and becoming a solid role player.
What if it was

37 - Ellis
49 - Rhoden

Would everyone be happy we used our 2 2nd round picks?

That could have very well been the case, and while we lucked out and we’re able to nab Ellis as a UDFA the old adage still rings true. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush."
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Either Monte is extremely lucky when it comes to drafting and player evaluation, or he is something more than competent. Something tells me it's more the latter than the former. That said, we have had some luck. Other players (on some draft boards here at Kfans.com) have been injured during SL. We could have had Duarte + Daniels (ankle), and Liddell (knee) heading into the season. We can ***** and moan all we want about missed opportunities, but it turns out the cards we were dealt came up aces. Let's accept it for once.

"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush."
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Either Monte is extremely lucky when it comes to drafting and player evaluation, or he is something more than competent. Something tells me it's more the latter than the former. That said, we have had some luck. Other players (on some draft boards here at Kfans.com) have been injured during SL. We could have had Duarte + Daniels (ankle), and Liddell (knee) heading into the season. We can ***** and moan all we want about missed opportunities, but it turns out the cards we were dealt came up aces. Let's accept it for once.
Oh I have, my statements are 100% playing the what if game/hindsight is 20/20. There’s little reason to continue to cry over spilt milk. Would I have done things differently? Sure. Does it matter? Nope. And I’m pretty damn happy and excited with how things have played and the direction we are headed. And as much as I would like us to start using these 2nds instead of punting on them, I can’t argue with his selections in the 1st. If I have to choose one or the other, I’ll take an effective/difference making 1st rounder only every day of the week.

That could have very well been the case, and while we lucked out and we’re able to nab Ellis as a UDFA the old adage still rings true. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
Or maybe he figured he didn't need to take a shot and still get the guys he would have drafted. Now he still has 2 future shots that he didn't waste.

It certainly makes the we have to do something stupid with Barnes conversation pretty stupid.
I think the plan may to be either trade Barnes at some point this season (trade deadline?) and then sign Sasha to a much lower contract than what Barnes would be getting next summer.

Sasha will get his minutes and Kings will get a cheaper 4/5 borderline starter next season.

IMO, he looks like a Nemanja Bjelica level talent, but with better rebounding at the stretch 4.

Last edited:

I regret to inform you that Sasha had yet another monster game (along with former Mississippi State point guard Dee Bost)
Yeah, setting up so well to bring him over next season. We have cap space, we have roster space open. Especially if he dominates Euro-League again, he'll probably be looking for that initially Bogi contract (3/27 range).

I think the plan may to be either trade Barnes at some point this season (trade deadline?) and then sign Sasha to a much lower contract than what Barnes would be getting next summer.

Sasha will get his minutes and Kings will get a cheaper 4/5 borderline starter next season.

IMO, he looks like a Nemanja Bjelica level talent, but with better rebounding at the stretch 4.
Not even close Bjelica at the same age as him was on a completely different planet. He might be as good as Bjelica is now I guess at age 35 or whatever he is. SF Belly was legit PF Belly was trash compared. The IQ and feel for the game as well is way on Belly side.

Last edited:
We'll be lucky to get him to come over for the full MLE.
With the cap projected to go up significantly, my guess is that the MLE will also go up. Add to it the fact that the dollar is at close to historic highs against most currencies, and Europe is close to a recession, and parts of it, embroiled in a war.

Lots can (and likely will) change in an year, and whenever he decides, he will take a long term view, which will be even more different. I also don't want to trivialize geopolitical issues by making them a pretext for a player making his decision, but I think it's likely that these things will all weigh in when he decides.