Sasha not coming over, Chima Moneke signing with us instead.

The Spanish ACB imo is better than the Euroleague, if you can put up decent numbers there you are doing something right, I don't ever remember seeing that guy mentioned play, also on Vezenkov I don't really see him not coming over as anything bad he's not even close to Bogi/Bjelly as a player who came over later in their careers.

Mod Edit: A good podcast, but very loose with the language, link placed under a spoiler (family-friendly website, recall...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chima Moneke looks solid been watching some footage while making and eating breakfast.

I like that he plays fast. Seems like he's got solid burst and thrives in transition.

My favorite part of the footage is him jumping passing lanes, looks like he's got solid instincts there and he really plays hard.

Reminds me a bit of Gerald Wallace. Seems like hes got a good idea of when to cut to the basket as well.

Last edited:
As for Vezenkov, maybe next season?

The thing for me with Vezenkov is --- Is he redundant with Trey Lyles, whos 2" taller and was quite good last season with the Kings.. I think maybe yes..

The idea of just giving Vezenkov guaranteed minutes and some big contract seems crazy to me.. Maybe Lyles isnt the dead-eye shooter he is, but Lyles is pretty good, same with the passing..

It also makes sense to me that in the event Harrison Barnes got traded then he'd be a better fit.. So i think he was a bit of insurance in that area.

Chima Moneke looks solid been watching some footage while making and eating breakfast.

I like that he plays fast. Seems like he's got solid burst and thrives in transition.

My favorite part of the footage is him jumping passing lanes, looks like he's got solid instincts there and he really plays hard.

Reminds me a bit of Gerald Wallace. Seems like hes got a good idea of when to cut to the basket as well.
I don't want to "gush" over the young man, but he reminds me of GW as well. Right now his defense is solid and he rebounds well.....Oh and there are lots of dunk highlights:) He is advertised as 6' 6" tall so he has some length. His interview above shows he has been around the world as his parent were Nigerian diplomats. Anyhow he can be an end of bench guy in development and might play spot minutes as a tough defender..........we will see!

I don't want to "gush" over the young man, but he reminds me of GW as well. Right now his defense is solid and he rebounds well.....Oh and there are lots of dunk highlights:) He is advertised as 6' 6" tall so he has some length. His interview above shows he has been around the world as his parent were Nigerian diplomats. Anyhow he can be an end of bench guy in development and might play spot minutes as a tough defender..........we will see!
I’m not sure that Chima is an end of the bench guy. He might be our first wing off the bench - that could sub for either Barnes or Murray. His level of athleticism, smarts and hustle is badly needed on the roster. These Kings are going f to be able to run for days.

There is a ton of good pressure on Fox and Sabonis now. It is way easier to step up when there is an actual plan in place.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Did not realize Chima was actually MVP of the BCL this season. (Funny that we signed the BCL MVP immediately after not signing the Greek League MVP).

Chima was the "star" on that UC Davis team that made it to March Madness (just don't ask me about how the actual tourney appearance went) but Jim Les used him as more of a big man than as the power driver wing that he was for Team Nigeria and Manresa apparently. He shot less than 30% from three this year but is a really strong athlete so if he can string together enough shots, he could be a solid wing. Mike Brown vouched for the guy so I'm hoping for big things from him (if not for the Kings then at least to boost the profile of my college alma mater.).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I feel like Corey Hawkins (dude was a bucket) may have made a couple of token preseason appearances but I guess that technically doesn’t count.
Yeah, looks like Hawkins had a training camp contract with the Heat in 2015 but didn't make the cut. I thought maybe Dante Ross from the '98 DII championship team might have gotten a look somewhere, but it doesn't appear so.

I get the impression we are entering Eric Moreland territory again, when kings fans get excited about 1 dimensional players just cuz they fill a need. Then they never see the light of day cuz they just arent that good. I hope im wrong but really, do we think he would not have made the league already if he was a real defensive pitbull? Others have on that alone. Im suspect how much he will be helpful. I dont think he will be a first wing off the bench when we just got KZ and we have guys like Huerter and TD. I just dont see him getting anything other than DNP unless there are a number of big injuries. Again with Watanabe out there, i question this move big time (in addition to KZ - ALTHOUGH im ok with KZ given he has improved his shot and defense in the NBA every year).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I get the impression we are entering Eric Moreland territory again, when kings fans get excited about 1 dimensional players just cuz they fill a need. Then they never see the light of day cuz they just arent that good. I hope im wrong but really, do we think he would not have made the league already if he was a real defensive pitbull? Others have on that alone. Im suspect how much he will be helpful. I dont think he will be a first wing off the bench when we just got KZ and we have guys like Huerter and TD. I just dont see him getting anything other than DNP unless there are a number of big injuries. Again with Watanabe out there, i question this move big time (in addition to KZ - ALTHOUGH im ok with KZ given he has improved his shot and defense in the NBA every year).
Idk what you’re talking about. Also, Justin Williams is still going to be the blocks King one of these seasons, I feel it!!!

I just try to keep my mouth shut because people get way too bent out of shape these days if you say anything realistic about 2nd round picks, undrafted free agents, back end of the bench/G league tweeners and flawed European players. People are already writing these guys into big minute slots when in reality they'll be about as effective as Justin James.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I just try to keep my mouth shut because people get way too bent out of shape these days if you say anything realistic about 2nd round picks, undrafted free agents, back end of the bench/G league tweeners and flawed European players. People are already writing these guys into big minute slots when in reality they'll be about as effective as Justin James.
Yeah, the Kings are probably going to be playing 3 guard lineups quite a bit so I don’t anticipate Moneke getting much run but it’s the offseason and hope springs eternal

Last edited: