Sarunas Jasikevicius to sign with Pacers

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2115697

Jasikevicius played for last three Euroleague champs

by Chad Ford, ESPN Insider

Sarunas Jasikevicius, widely considered the top point guard in Europe, signed a three-year, 12 million deal with the Pacers, his agent Doug Neustadt told ESPN.com.
Jasikevicius also had offers from the Jazz and Cavs, but decided to take less money and fewer minutes to have a shot at an NBA title.

"It really came down to who he could win a championship with next year," Neustadt told ESPN.com. "He saw a chance to contribute and win and couldn't pass it up."

The point guard, who played collegiately at Maryland from 1994-'98, most recently played for Maccabi Tel Aviv from 2003-2005 and F.C. Barcelona from 2000-2003.

Jasikevicius led Maccabi to a second straight Euroleague title in May, and in the process, won the MVP of the Final Four. He scored 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting, shot 3-for-4 from beyond the arc, and had six rebounds and five assists. However, the stats aren't what makes him appealing.

Jasikevicius is a warrior with a great jumper, good size for the position and excellent court vision. Jasikevicius thrives in pressure situations and demands and shoots the ball late in games.

In last summer's Olympics he dropped 28 points on Team USA in a Lithuania victory and 17 points in a loss.

He's lapped the competition in Europe. Now we'll see if he can continue his winning streak in the NBA.

"I was finding it tough to practice this year for the first time," Jasikevicius told ESPN.com in May. "I had trouble motivating myself. I love the competition and it really took the Final Four to begin to bring it out in me again."

NBA teams have flirted with bringing him over in free agency for the past two summers. His asking price last year, $1.6 million, wasn't too high. But general managers, as they are wont to do, always focused on what he couldn't do.

He's too slow. He's not a great athlete. He doesn't play defense. His passion can make him out of control. How will NBA players respond when he chews them out on the court after they make dumb plays?

But after his third straight title, teams began looking at him differently. However, no one pursued him harder than the Pacers. Team president Larry Bird watched Jasikevicius play numerous times over the course of the season and became convinced that Jasikevicius had the character to overcome his physical limitations.

If anyone should be able to spot that, it should be Larry.

Jasikevicius joins a Pacers team primed to make a title run. With Ron Artest returning from a year long suspension, Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley and Jonathan Bender finally getting healthy and first-round pick Danny Granger added to the mix the Pacers suddenly look like the toughest, deepest and most motivated team in the league.

With their starting five already in place, look for Jasikevicius to be an important sixth man coming off the bench.

The loss of Reggie Miller obviously strikes a blow to the heart of the team. But the Pacers are taking a $12 million gamble that Jasikevicius can bring some of that same swagger to Indiana next season. It's a risky move, but it could be the gamble that puts the Pacers over the top.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This guy is a GOOD player. Will he be GOOD in the NBA? I have no clue. Saw him in the Olympics, and this guy can flat out shoot the ball. As I have said before, he reminds me a lot of Mike Bibby. Great pickup for the Pacers.

in my mind the pacers are a great bet to win the championship. they won 60 games 2 yrs ago, and looked so good last year before the melee. they've lost reggie but they've got granger and saras...unbelievable franchise.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Great move by the Pacers. While the Kings are rebuilding, I will be following my #2 team like never before.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can only imagine...

;)

Just like 6th, I'll be watching the Pacers very closely this season. So expect to see a lot more of me on your board.

:D

Larry Legend strikes again.

Is there anything this guy can't do? one of the best GMs in the league, NBA Coach of the year, and oh yeah, he wasn't too shabby when he was wearing the 33 Green and White either...

He's the only current player in euro that I know of and want to see in the NBA. Pacers will be exciting to watch. He's really vocal, would step up for everyone on his team.

SacTownKid said:
This guy is a GOOD player. Will he be GOOD in the NBA? I have no clue. Saw him in the Olympics, and this guy can flat out shoot the ball. As I have said before, he reminds me a lot of Mike Bibby. Great pickup for the Pacers.
It may be an issue coming to the NBA, put with that Pacers team being that deep, if he doesn't come to his full potential he can just be given less minutes. Coming off the bench he doesn't have to be great, just good. And there's little doubt that he will be good, so he should provide some valuable depth to an already deep team.

I thought that perimeter shooting and the point guard were two of the Pacers weakest links in these past few seasons. If Jasikevisius can shoot it anything close to what he showed in the Olympics, this is going to be huge. There are lots of "ifs" with the Pacers, but if things come together for them, they're definitely the best team in the East.

Yoda said:
They were 6-2...Im not sure what you can gain from that.
they looked good... 6-2 is a 60win pace and i know its early to read into it (utah started 4-0 or 6-0) but as i said, they looked good.

The intriguing part of Sharas’ game are the intangibles he brings to the table. He is a fiery, creative, determined leader. In one Euroleague game this season, he went a woeful 0-15 from beyond the arc. Undeterred, he fired another long range bomb at the final buzzer that won the game.

http://insidehoops.com/sarunas-jasikevicius-072605.shtml

Found this snippet on insidehoops.com
Do you guys think this is a good trait to have or a bad one?

Last edited:
Good. Everyone has bad shooting nights. Making a buzzer beater to win it at the end, even during the worst night, shows that he has ice in his veins and is clutch and dedicated. That's the kind of thing we could use more of around here.

captain bill said:
Good. Everyone has bad shooting nights. Making a buzzer beater to win it at the end, even during the worst night, shows that he has ice in his veins and is clutch and dedicated. That's the kind of thing we could use more of around here.
I totally agree.

I like this guy and his way. He prefer to be a Pacer than to play for another team. He´ll feel under pressure, but he chose that. He´ll fight to be in the line-up with Tinsley, and this means bravery, he prefer a hard competitor than a team like Atlanta. He could be the man, at least, im sure he will fight for that. I ghess, he wants to play for the ´ship. bye