Sacbee: Kings' victory comes in handy

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11624456p-12513959c.html

Kings' victory comes in handy
They beat Grizzlies, but Peja, Jackson hurt hands
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, December 1, 2004

Chris Webber, who had 22 points
and 11 rebounds, wards off the Memphis
Grizzlies' Lorenzen Wright during a drive.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The need for victory can be as relative as imaginable.

The Kings needed a victory Tuesday night because they were trying to retain their flow despite a home loss Sunday to Minnesota. The Memphis Grizzlies needed a win because they had lost three straight and still didn't have a replacement for interim coach Lionel Hollins. He assumed the role following Thursday's sudden retirement of 2003-04 NBA Coach of the Year Hubie Brown.

Ultimately, Sacramento answered its need because it used its experience and poise to make plays during the game's final minutes for a 98-93 victory before an announced crowd of 14,192 at the new FedEx Forum.

With the Kings leading 94-93, they had gone more than four minutes without a score before Mike Bibby and Chris Webber worked a pick-and-roll. It didn't matter that Bibby hadn't scored a field goal since the second possession of the third quarter.

Bibby's shot was all net from 15 feet with 43.3 seconds left and gave the Kings a 96-93 lead.

"I told (Mike) I was very confident he was going to make it because he was overdue," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "He really had a good look, and he shot it like he had been hitting it all game."

A basket with 8.4 seconds left by Webber, who had 22 points, a team-high 11 rebounds and six assists, wrapped up the victory.

The Kings (9-5) have won eight of their last nine games and three straight on the road after opening the season with four consecutive losses away from home.

All-Star small forward Peja Stojakovic scored a game-high 29 points on 10-of-16 shooting (4 of 6 from three-point range) and made all five of his free throws. However, he used a super-sweet suit jacket to cover his shooting hand, which was wrapped in ice as he left the building.

Stojakovic's hand was hit when Memphis small forward Shane Battier stole the ball with 2:42 left. Stojakovic, who still managed to block Mike Miller's shot on the same possession, had the hand X-rayed after the game.

"The X-rays were negative, but it hurts like hell," said Stojakovic, who pointed to the side of his right hand, indicating his injury. "The X-rays were negative, so that's good, but I guess we'll see (today)."

The Kings traveled following the game to play the New Orleans Hornets tonight.

Kings sixth man Bobby Jackson also had his right hand X-rayed at halftime, after it was slapped by Earl Watson. The Memphis point guard tied his career high of 43 minutes because ex-King Jason Williams was out with a sprained right index finger.

Jackson's X-rays also were negative, so he re-entered the game and went on one of his patented streaks, scoring nine of Sacramento's 11 points during a four-minute stretch spanning the third and fourth quarters.

As usual, Jackson said offensive aggressiveness was the key. The same aggressiveness that sometimes puts Jackson into situations where he launches wild shots also permits him to display the gumption of street-corner swindler.

"I've just got to keep shooting," said Jackson, who made 6 of 10 attempts and scored 14 points in 18 minutes. "If they go in, they go in. If they don't, they don't."

Memphis reserve Mike Miller had a similar philosophy and made his first eight shots before cooling off for a 10-of-14 night and 25 points in 31 minutes.

The Kings had the Grizzlies (5-10) teetering on the edge of a blowout on more than one occasion, but a couple of turnovers and some unwise shots helped Memphis stay within reach.

Tonight
Kings at New Orleans
Time: 5 p.m.
TV: cS*
Radio: KHTK 1140

Lineups
Kings: No. 16 Peja Stojakovic / Hornets: No. 33 Lee Nailon

Kings: No.4 Chris Webber / Hornets: No. 30 David West

Kings No. 52 Brad Miller / Hornets: No. 42 P.J. Brown

Kings No. 13 Doug Christie / Hornets No. 5 David Wesley

Kings No. 10 Mike Bibby / Hornets No. 10 Darrell Armstrong Last meeting
The Kings defeated the Hornets 105-91 on April 6 at Arco Arena behind Peja Stojakovic's 29 points.

they'll all have mutated hands after all those x-rays by the end of the season.

i can see why peja's so protective of himself, speically his shooting hand. but i hope he's not so caught up by it that he's afaird of tackling for th ball.