Rose Bowl or Bust!

I think so... look how they could have added to the score but didnt because that isnt their type of game. Look at their defense in the second half after they woke up... Look at their running game and offensive production and efficiency.

I dont think it was that close to knock them out of 4th.

Lightforms said:
Cal Bears over Southern Miss. 26-16
Is it enough?

GO BEARS!
Apparantely it's not. How Texas jumped ahead of Cal should be investigated by the FBI. What a friggin' joke. Now we get to watch Texas be whacked in a BCS bowl game. While Mack Brown is a great recruiter he just can't coach in big games.

The computers screwed over Cal, but don't forget about Mack Brown's whining to the sportswriters and coaches and begging them to rank Texas ahead of Cal. If he went on national TV and said something generic to everyone who voted, that's one thing. But he was calling these writers and coaches personally after their game against A&M to plead his case like this was some sort of election campaign. What a classy guy, eh? And it did work. While Cal was still ahead in the AP and coach's polls, they did lose ground to Texas in both of them, and it did help alter their final BCS score. That's one thing I learned about the BCS this season-- being a weasel has its advantages.

The one positive you might get to say about this Rose Bowl is that you get a bizarro matchup that could be oddly compelling (Texas and Michigan have never played each other). I'm sure the Rose Bowl Committee is up in arms about this non-traditional matchup, but they knew what they were getting themselves into when they aligned with the BCS.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
This is why computers suck. The Coaches and AP voted for CAL but thats only 2/3 of the vote. The computer screwed us.
Welcome to the club.

-USC fan
(I feel your pain)

(Although last year SC was #1 in both polls and OSU lost their own conf. championship game and STILL went to the Natl. Champ. game) ???

L.A. Brian said:
That's one thing I learned about the BCS this season-- being a weasel has its advantages.
More than a couple coaches changed their rank of Cal to 7th (4 coaches) and 8th (2 coaches) after Saturday's win, where none of the coaches ranked them that low the week before.

Lets call out the weasels and go on a weasel hunt!

The computers screwed over Cal, but don't forget about Mack Brown's whining to the sportswriters and coaches and begging them to rank Texas ahead of Cal. If he went on national TV and said something generic to everyone who voted, that's one thing. But he was calling these writers and coaches personally after their game against A&M to plead his case like this was some sort of election campaign. What a classy guy, eh? And it did work. While Cal was still ahead in the AP and coach's polls, they did lose ground to Texas in both of them, and it did help alter their final BCS score. That's one thing I learned about the BCS this season-- being a weasel has its advantages.
Amen, going out of your way to plead your case is low. This is why we need a playoff in College Football, much like Division II does. Then everyone would be happy and we could finally have all this bull put to rest.

Cal took a knee in the final minute of the game where they could have scored. They could have pumped up the score to make them look better, but Tedford and the Bears were classy and decided that is not how college football should be played. That one single move may have left them out of the Rose bowl. Pretty sad that in this day and age in order to get into a BCS bowl game a team must run up the score.

Whats the BCS without the big C?

Last edited: