Rasheed Wallace commentary

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
(found at PacersDigest)

DAVE SCHULTZ: It's simple - I hope he loses

There's a Rasheed Wallace Web site. It says he reads all of his mail.

I wonder, though, if someone actually has to read it to him. He may have gone to college (North Carolina), but he doesn't seem to be exceptionally developed in a cranial sense.

For those of you who don't know, Rasheed Wallace is a very talented basketball player who is currently employed by the Detroit Pistons. He has a problem with his mouth. He opens it. Words come out.

When Wallace played with the Portland Trailblazers, he would get technical fouls the way Reggie Miller used to get 3-point field goals - regularly, early, and often. It's tough to contribute to your team's success when you're sitting in the locker room after being ejected, but ‘Sheed never seemed to pick up on that concept.

Then he was traded to the Detroit Pistons, a franchise that has never really erased the odor of the “Bad Boys” of 15 or 16 years ago. Finding a home there, a certified bad boy among the kinda bad boys, he's been a part of the Pistons' recent success.

He's also found his own niche in the National Basketball Association's publicity machine. He's the guy who guarantees victories.

Wallace's success in this process came at the expense of the Indiana Pacers. Living in Indiana and being a fan of all things Hoosier, I didn't like the idea that this bozo would guarantee a victory and that then he went out and did it against the good guys.

Wallace did it earlier this week against the Cleveland Cavaliers - guaranteed a victory, that is - and his team lost. After the game he did not apologize, just shrugging it off. There was no way that his team (the Pistons) would lose the series to that team (the Cavaliers), he said.

Then, last night, improbably, the NBA's best player (at this time), Lebron James, led Cleveland past Rasheed Wallace and Rasheed Wallace's mouth by a score of 86 to 84. Friday night, Mr. Wallace and his mouth could both be sidelined if the Cavaliers hold their home-court advantage.

Justice delayed is justice denied, goes the saying. I wish the Pacers could have stifled this dim bulb; since they didn't, I hope the Cavaliers can do it.

Wallace is an anti-hero - the designated villain in a sporting soap opera. For all the joy we get out of sports, it seems unfortunate that someone who takes the spotlight away from that joy and puts it firmly on himself and what he says should be rewarded with any degree of success.

If there is a spectrum of bad to good things in sports, with 1 being bad and 10 being good, we'll put Rasheed Wallace at about a 0.5. A world of potential, marvelous ability, brain-dead, and selfish.

Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be Rasheed Wallace.

Dave Schultz is associate editor of The Herald-Press. His e-mail address is dschultz@h-ponline.com
http://www.h-ponline.com/articles/2006/05/18/news/006schultz.txt

Last edited:
VF21 said:
If there is a spectrum of bad to good things in sports, with 1 being bad and 10 being good, we'll put Rasheed Wallace at about a 0.5. A world of potential, marvelous ability, brain-dead, and selfish.

Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be Rasheed Wallace.

Dave Schultz is associate editor of The Herald-Press. His e-mail address is dschultz@h-ponline.com

http://www.h-ponline.com/articles/2006/05/18/news/006schultz.txt
Sour grapes. I thought time healed all wounds. Guess not.

Sheed is one of my favorite players but I had to laugh at some of the things like:

For those of you who don't know, Rasheed Wallace is a very talented basketball player who is currently employed by the Detroit Pistons. He has a problem with his mouth. He opens it. Words come out.
Wallace is an anti-hero - the designated villain in a sporting soap opera. For all the joy we get out of sports, it seems unfortunate that someone who takes the spotlight away from that joy and puts it firmly on himself and what he says should be rewarded with any degree of success.
The guy sounds like a HATER. Oh well, all players have haters. If you're a fan of an EC playoff team you probably hate Sheed because he's always talking/mouthing off. I think it's pretty entertaining though. Sheed's like a big bully to them.

BTW if the pistons lose to the cavs any chance the pistons break up the starting five? Chauncey's a free agent in 07 and Ben's a free agent this year. Maybe we could get Sheed...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Those of you who think this writer is a "hater" or simply a sore loser must not have heard Sheed's latest blatherings:

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1147774240120390.xml&coll=1

Rasheed credits Cavs (sort of), vows to win series
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
By A. Sherrod Blakely

CLEVELAND -- To Rasheed Wallace's credit, he gave the Cleveland Cavaliers some credit for making him eat his words after he guaranteed a Pistons win on Monday.

However, the way the Detroit Pistons forward sees this playoff series -- even after the Cavaliers tied it at two wins apiece following Monday's 74-72 win -- hasn't changed.

"They won tonight. Can't take nothing away from them," said Wallace, who left the game briefly in the second quarter with a right ankle sprain. "Even the sun shines on a dog's ***.

"Ain't no way in hell they're going to beat us in no damn series. Like I said, they (won) tonight, which is good for them. That's something they needed to do. They took care of home. But nah, they're not going to beat us in no series."

Monday's loss was the first time the Pistons were defeated in a playoff game (five of them) in which Wallace -- he had seven points while making just 3 of 13 shots from the field -- guaranteed a victory.

"First time for everything," said Pistons guard Chauncey Billups.

The Cavs were certainly pleased to make Wallace eat his words.

"We won the game," said Cleveland guard Eric Snow. "That is the only statement you can make. That is the best thing you can do when someone makes a statement like that."

One of the few bright spots for the Pistons was the play of Maurice Evans. He scored only three points in 10 minutes, but he was one of the reasons Detroit had a chance to win in the final seconds.

Because of Wallace's sprained right ankle, Evans was on the floor in the final minutes with the other starters.

Wallace said he had no problem with Evans playing in his place at that point.

"I still have confidence in my teammates; still had confidence in Maurice when (Pistons coach) Flip (Saunders) made that sub," Wallace said. "That's what we're all about. If I felt as though I didn't have confidence in him, then I would have definitely said something to Flip."

Richard Hamilton didn't get a single vote from league coaches when they selected the NBA's All-Defensive teams, but he continues to prove his worth as a defender.

Hamilton spent much of the first three quarters guarding LeBron James, who had only 15 points going into the final quarter. Hamilton spent most of the third quarter guarding the Cavs star, holding James scoreless during that time.

Saunders, who usually has Tayshaun Prince guard James, decided to go with a different look.

"Tay guards with length, Rip guards a little bit with a little bit more pressure," Saunders said. "I thought he was getting a little too comfortable with Tay's length all the time."

Cavaliers guard Larry Hughes, who has been with his family in St. Louis following the death of his brother, 20-year-old Justin Hughes, last week, is questionable for Game 5 on Wednesday. Hughes, Cleveland's second-leading scorer in the playoffs, did not play in Games 3 and 4. . . . Billups missed a free throw in the first half, snapping a string of 41 consecutive shots from the line. . . . Pistons reserve Antonio McDyess was held scoreless on Monday for the first time in this series.

BMiller52 said:
Maybe we could get Sheed...
We don't want 'Sheed.

Not a terribly good rebounder, average defender, great in the post but infatuated with the perimeter, headcase, getting old.

I like him as a player (despite the previous paragraph), but I don't want him on my team. And even if I did, he doesn't fit it.

Which is why I don't really want Ben. I would take him, but wouldn't lobby for him.

VF21 said:
Those of you who think this writer is a "hater" or simply a sore loser must not have heard Sheed's latest blatherings:
I'd actually heard/read those statements from Sheed. Don't know that Sheed's statements discussing the Cavs and his thoughts on their chances to win this series really justifies some writer who has been carrying a grudge around from a prior Sheed guarantee calling the man "brain-dead".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The writer gave Sheed the props for his basketball talent, even calling him "a very talented basketball player."

What he's expressing, and I admit it is from a Pacer fan, is the rest of the package. Sheed is technical prone anyway. When you add his lip to the equation, you get a player who can actually cause his team more harm than good by not just keeping his mouth shut and playing the game...

VF21 said:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The writer gave Sheed the props for his basketball talent, even calling him "a very talented basketball player."

What he's expressing, and I admit it is from a Pacer fan, is the rest of the package. Sheed is technical prone anyway. When you add his lip to the equation, you get a player who can actually cause his team more harm than good by not just keeping his mouth shut and playing the game...
If he's just talking about Sheed's game on the court (and off with his talk of victories and what not), I guess it's no big deal. I just didn't really like the following sentence in the article:

"If there is a spectrum of bad to good things in sports, with 1 being bad and 10 being good, we'll put Rasheed Wallace at about a 0.5. A world of potential, marvelous ability, brain-dead, and selfish."

Again, if he's just talking about Sheed's abilities on the court and his guarantees, then whatever. But he's crossing a line if he's talking about Sheed as a person (and not just a basketball player), and is making a mistaken generalization, at least imho. Don't know how much it counts for, but Sheed was just recognized for his work in the community by the NBA (see link).

http://www.nba.com/pistons/community/communityassist_060517.html

That would seem to at least get him up into the 3 or 4 range on this writer's scale, at least if he could let the grudge go.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't take it as a condemnation of him OFF the court. I honestly think you're reading too much into it.

Peace.

4cwebb said:
If he's just talking about Sheed's game on the court (and off with his talk of victories and what not), I guess it's no big deal. I just didn't really like the following sentence in the article:

"If there is a spectrum of bad to good things in sports, with 1 being bad and 10 being good, we'll put Rasheed Wallace at about a 0.5. A world of potential, marvelous ability, brain-dead, and selfish."

Again, if he's just talking about Sheed's abilities on the court and his guarantees, then whatever. But he's crossing a line if he's talking about Sheed as a person (and not just a basketball player), and is making a mistaken generalization, at least imho. Don't know how much it counts for, but Sheed was just recognized for his work in the community by the NBA (see link).

http://www.nba.com/pistons/community/communityassist_060517.html

That would seem to at least get him up into the 3 or 4 range on this writer's scale, at least if he could let the grudge go.
I agree man. Maybe this guy should be asking why "brain dead" players like Rasheed have a ring as opposed to any of those brainiac Pacer teams he covered? Sounds like another bitter journalist. He should be on The Sports Reporters or Around the Horn. He and Mariotti could talk about how every athlete is a stupid jerk. Well, except for any of the Pacers I guess.

Superman you have to give credit to rasheed for his defense
people thinks he's slow but it's not the case, look at him defending on gasol for example, he's a very good defender, stand up in front of his man, good footwork, hands up, besides he's tall !

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
french_Kingsfan said:
people thinks he's slow but it's not the case, look at him defending on gasol for example, he's a very good defender, stand up in front of his man, good footwork, hands up, besides he's tall !
Being tall doesn't necessarily make someone an excellent defender. Shawn Bradley ring any bells?

The argument isn't whether or not Sheed can play defense. The objections are to the idea that he is some kind of uber-defender. He's average...

I am awed by Dave Schultz' perceptive denigration of Rasheed Wallace's mind, and I can't wait to get a more complete look at Schultz' no doubt stellar insights into life, the universe, and everything.

The guy accused Rasheed of being illiterate; it's hard to imagine that as anything other than personal.

Rasheed's mouth--sometimes interesting, usually outrageous, often tedious--has certainly got him into a lot of trouble recently. It's hard to criticize his mouth at one level, though. When he didn't want to talk ("Both teams played hard"), he was fined; if he didn't talk, Mr. Schultz wouldn't have a subject to write about, and there would be less reason for sportswriters to have a job.

I find it funny, too, that there's a dominant narrative in sports that says that a championship determines the value of your career/character, yet if you don't like a player, you don't count his rings. My hatred of Kobe Bryant is occasionally such that I ignore his championships. You see this in some discussions of Wallace, etc., even some coaches.

french_Kingsfan said:
I said he's average. I didn't call him Brad Miller. Average is credit. But let's not mistake him for an NBA 1st Team defender. He's average.

Never been a great shot blocker for someone his height. Just over 1 block a game over his career. That's okay, but not above average for a 6'11" PF. He has okay hands for poking away loose balls. But before he came to the Pistons, he was never known for being a stand-out defender.

BMiller52 said:
Dude Rasheed defends the elite PFs very well. He's a good defender.
I disagree.

Elton Brand took him for 30 twice, Dwight Howard averaged 21 and 10 against him in three games, Dirk averaged 24 and 10 against him in two games, Zach Randolph averaged 29 and 11 against him in two games, Chris Webber averaged 19 and 8 in three games.

He did an okay job on Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, stats-wise. And Jermaine O'Neal was hurt when the Pacers played the Pistons; he only played in two games, and didn't start in one of them.

I just don't see Rasheed Wallace as a "good" defender. I think average is fair.

I'll agree to disagree.

Superman said:
I disagree.

Elton Brand took him for 30 twice, Dwight Howard averaged 21 and 10 against him in three games, Dirk averaged 24 and 10 against him in two games, Zach Randolph averaged 29 and 11 against him in two games, Chris Webber averaged 19 and 8 in three games.

He did an okay job on Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, stats-wise. And Jermaine O'Neal was hurt when the Pacers played the Pistons; he only played in two games, and didn't start in one of them.

I just don't see Rasheed Wallace as a "good" defender. I think average is fair.

I'll agree to disagree.
Randolph always plays well against him because they were teammates. Love to see you post the shooting % there too?

I guess I'll also agree to disagree.

Rasheed was right in the end (and surely disappointed the Indy writer) --- ain't no way they [the Cavs] are going to win no damn series against us [the Pistons].

VF21 said:
I'm thankful that Sheed didn't meet his potential when he was with Portland because our PFs made him look like McHale on the low block. Imagine if he had his head screwed on.

BMiller52 said:
Randolph always plays well against him because they were teammates. Love to see you post the shooting % there too?
Sure.

Elton Brand - 57%
Dwight Howard - 59%
Dirk - 43%
Randolph - 49%
Webber - 41%
Duncan - 43%
Garnett - 43%
O'Neal - 43%

That's an average of over 47%.

I guess I'll also agree to disagree.
Of course, I should mention that these numbers don't prove anything either way. The only way you can really judge someone's defensive talent (which isn't really the question with Rasheed; it's more an issue of effort and how willing he is to defend with passion; I always thought that Chris Webber was a better defender than Rasheed Wallace, simply because he actually played hard on that end before he got hurt) is by watching them play. And I've watched a lot of Rasheed Wallace over his career. Never been impressed.

People say Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton are very good defenders, too. But that was never the case before they played with Ben Wallace, four time Defensive Player of the Year.

So looks like the only elite PFs that really kill him are Randolph, Howard, and Brand. He holds the other guys below their FG%(it looks like anyway).

BTW CWebb was a very good defender(IMO) before he got hurt. People forget because they only look at what he does now.