Randolph arrested

dude12

Hall of Famer
Zbo's agent has said it's a false report according to this mornings Sac Bee in Poison's article. Of course, his agent is going to do what agents do but am interested in seeing how this plays out.

It really isn't, that's not even a full plants worth if you know what you're doing. He should have been smart enough to get a growers licence for 150 dollars and been able to hold all that legally.
There's that and also the issue that law enforcement sometimes gets creative in how they actually weigh plants. I'm no expert on that, though. My understanding is that the weights are often dramatically inflated.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Zbo's agent has said it's a false report according to this mornings Sac Bee in Poison's article. Of course, his agent is going to do what agents do but am interested in seeing how this plays out.
Well, it wouldn't appear false that he was arrested on felony charges. The "backpack full of two pounds of marijuana" would seem to be at least close to true, given that the charges were intent to distribute. The only thing I can imagine his agent is hanging on here is that he wasn't selling. But you can be damn sure that if he wasn't selling he was giving away, because 2,000 joints' worth isn't exactly "personal use". The agent has to say that. That's the agent's job. But I'm not inclined to believe much of what Randolph's agent says in this circumstance.

This is on Vlade. Vlade spent the free agent period trying to bring in character vets. Vince Carter, check. George Hill, check. Zach Randolph...wut? I mean, you've got his Jailblazer days, and even then in his "turnaround" in Memphis you've got the 2010 incident, the 2011 incident, and the 2016 incident, all detailed here: http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...wo-pounds-weed-thats-problem-if-so/556984001/
What in the world was Vlade even thinking?

Seriously, Vlade, if the internet response to this latest black eye ever comes to your attention, answer me these two questions: What were you even thinking? And what are you thinking now?

For you and I, big deal.

For ZBo millionaire NBA player who just signed a 24 million dollar contract, not so much.

As for being a mentor, if I squint my eyes I see:

Isn't that awesome?!?
I challenge anyone to go down the street with 2lbs of weed in your back pack. You get caught your screwed.
Don't want to be an everyday joe and get caught with 2lbs + on your person.

I live in one of the hearts of weed growing land where people have garbage bags full of turkey bags full of the stuff.
It goes beyond personal use. I guess price and dose wise you could compare it to about 1000 six packs of decent beer. Is that a lot? I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me that's a lot.

Not following the NBA's drug policy is not a good start. This has more to do with not following rules than it does with anything else. Im personally not spooked by the fact that weed is what he got busted for. How does one get caught with weed in CA? Its not like marijuana busts are a common thing.

80%+ of the NBA smokes the chronic. Who cares. It will be federally legal in less than 10 years once the white house and congress see how much it will help California before the year 2020.
One thing I have noticed about Marijuana. It makes people who smoke it think that everything becomes better with it due to the euphoric feeling they get. But in reality it slows them down. Over time it degrades lives. The addict becomes directionless (just wants to get high). Sooner or later the addict realizes this is not working anymore but can't stop. Usually has gone on to other drugs and or alcohol. The good news is you ca recover. Some make it some don't.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Well, it wouldn't appear false that he was arrested on felony charges. The "backpack full of two pounds of marijuana" would seem to be at least close to true, given that the charges were intent to distribute. The only thing I can imagine his agent is hanging on here is that he wasn't selling. But you can be damn sure that if he wasn't selling he was giving away, because 2,000 joints' worth isn't exactly "personal use". The agent has to say that. That's the agent's job. But I'm not inclined to believe much of what Randolph's agent says in this circumstance.

This is on Vlade. Vlade spent the free agent period trying to bring in character vets. Vince Carter, check. George Hill, check. Zach Randolph...wut? I mean, you've got his Jailblazer days, and even then in his "turnaround" in Memphis you've got the 2010 incident, the 2011 incident, and the 2016 incident, all detailed here: http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...wo-pounds-weed-thats-problem-if-so/556984001/

Seriously, Vlade, if the internet response to this latest black eye ever comes to your attention, answer me these two questions: What were you even thinking? And what are you thinking now?
Just out of curiosity, how do you explain the feelings of the Memphis organization/community when it comes to their feelings regarding Zbo? I don't have an answer to that but as an outsider, he's had to have done something right.

And secondly, Vlade had, HAD, to have run the potential of signing Zbo past Joerger. I'm assuming that Joerger gave it a thumbs up.

You really think Vlade ever brings in Randolph, or for that matter Randolph ever decides to sign with Sacramento without Dave Joerger? These are clear cut coach signings all the way. If there is blame to cast (which I don't agree with necessarily) it's on Joerger. Who was also partly responsible for bringing in Barnes I'm sure.

We'll see how this all plays out but an overreaction by the Kings could be the worst move right now. Contractually it could be sticky though. If they have some option due to his contract being in a particular time frame to void it without cap repercussions they should probably explore that. In the end the Kings staying loyal to a player who made a mistake could be the best thing if he's willing to make sure this was only a hiccup on his road to redemption.

I'm assuming that Joerger gave it a thumbs up.
I'm assuming Joerger requested it to begin with.

Honestly I don't think this is the worst thing that can happen. But it's really stupid and shows poor judgement from a guy who was supposed to show better. You know, someone who can tell the young kids getting their first checks "hey, we all like to party, but here's how you do it responsibly, keep a low profile and don't wind up all over the internets for the wrong reasons"

Even though not all of us feel the possession charge is a big deal, if it sticks and he gets a felony he will be kicked out of the NBA for good. So regardless of our stance on marijuana, ZBo is in deep trouble.

Also, I have no real opinion on marijuana, except I do not see how anyone can support more smoking. We all know smoking anything at all is terrible for you. I know that mary jane can be used many different ways which is fine, but we are somehow still okay with people smoking it. Defies all logic. Legalize pot, ban smoking.

One thing I have noticed about Marijuana. It makes people who smoke it think that everything becomes better with it due to the euphoric feeling they get. But in reality it slows them down. Over time it degrades lives. The addict becomes directionless (just wants to get high). Sooner or later the addict realizes this is not working anymore but can't stop. Usually has gone on to other drugs and or alcohol. The good news is you ca recover. Some make it some don't.
hahahahaha good joke bro

Napear was talking about the teams ability to void his contract under circumstances... I don't wish harm on Zac, and hope it's just a learning experience for him, but as a contract I wouldn't be mad, especially as he is making 12 next year too.. but would the team just spend it on more last leg vets to my chagrin?

Napear was talking about the teams ability to void his contract under circumstances... I don't wish harm on Zac, and hope it's just a learning experience for him, but as a contract I wouldn't be mad, especially as he is making 12 next year too.. but would the team just spend it on more last leg vets to my chagrin?
Quite possibly, it's the name of the game.

This guy totally gets it :rolleyes:

If vlade cares strongly about building culture and strong leadership he has no choice but to let Z go (if this is true) which is unfortunate
Yes.

The signing was primarily done for mentoring purposes. That mentoring cred is now gone. Better off without him at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The presumption of innocence is a cornerstone of the American legal system. It's a foundational principle of our criminal law procedures. The presumption of innocence shifts the burden of proof onto the prosecution to prove that someone committed a criminal act. Why is this important? Because without a presumption of innocence, people are much more likely to get charged and convicted unjustly and unfairly, beit abuse of Government power, or mob-mentality.

I appreciate that Randolph appears to have done something stupid and illegal. And if he has, there will be major consequences. But can't we all take a breath before declaring him guilty based (only) on charges that have been filed? Charges have to be proven. Until they are (proven), they do not substitute for facts.

The presumption of innocence is a cornerstone of the American legal system. It's a foundational principle of our criminal law procedures. The presumption of innocence shifts the burden of proof onto the prosecution to prove that someone committed a criminal act. Why is this important? Because without a presumption of innocence, people are much more likely to get charged and convicted unjustly and unfairly, beit abuse of Government power, or mob-mentality.

I appreciate that Randolph appears to have done something stupid and illegal. And if he has, there will be major consequences. But can't we all take a breath before declaring him guilty based (only) on charges that have been filed? Charges have to be proven. Until they are (proven), they do not substitute for facts.
If I'm the judge and jury, of course. But we all know there is virtually zero chance he is innocent of these charges. Many of us are just operating on that assumption, which, as citizens, we have a right to do. And as fans (or as hypothetical GMs as many of us act) of a franchise trying to repair our reputation, I'd argue the Kings have an OBLIGATION to sever ties with Randolph as SOON as legally possible. Courts operate by law. Businesses operate by profit. Fans operate by emotion. Randolph operated (apparently) in his own interest.

He didn't even need the money. He was distributing (allegedly) for the fun of it, and to be "the man". Smoking weed would have been much more forgivable, from a mentorship perspective. But since his role was to be an elder, you CANNOT have a guy who goes through all the effort to develop a DISTRIBUTION NETWORK for weed when he does not need the money, and there is so much risk to his reputation. It is a colossally bad decision, and that's the real issue here. He is simply not what we thought we were getting, again, if the charges are true.

Nobody is feeling sorry for the guy who has made tens of millions of dollars and set his family up for generations.

The presumption of innocence is a cornerstone of the American legal system. It's a foundational principle of our criminal law procedures. The presumption of innocence shifts the burden of proof onto the prosecution to prove that someone committed a criminal act.
True, but the conversation Here is whether: fans should be upset based upon what probably happened here; and whether the Kings should move on already. There is no presumption of innocence and the burden is common sense for the first ... as for the latter the issues are typically how much does the team need you vs how much will the blow back cost.

Throwing out a conviction of a defendant with massive resources on a relatively minor felony (as compared to the rest of their docket) by an overburdened DAs office under doubt standard ... as the threshold for fans reaction ... umm, no.

2 words..... Micheal Phelps

Not that it matters remotely but For the record, ZBo drinks Hennessey. He would always order 3 doubles from room service at the Hyatt when his team was in town (i worked at regency in my younger years)

Some people here are mocking you, but this was my experience with it (early 80's - and that was relatively crappy weed). Made me dumber and hungry. The groupthink these days (and this current era is so susceptible to groupthink it is astonishing - they think they are free thinkers but oh wow what a herd it is) ... is to defend it but nobody can tell me that when I was stoned, I wasn't freaking stoned. Stupid. Functioned lower, had munchies, strained not to giggle during field sobriety tests. It didn't exactly lead to harder stuff - and it is not worse than alcohol .... but it didn't exactly enhance my ambition either. And people who deny those effects I think are just completely dishonest.

PS I wish the stubborn old stoners at concerts could just eat the stuff in brownies or something... it's so completely inconsiderate to create indoor fumes whether it is tobacco, pot, incense or sage for that matter. Come on stoners - put it brownies and lollipops and let me be.