Pat Summit ties Deam Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=254000016
========================
Check out the link to Pat Summits past achivements. Just amazing what she has done! Shes probably the second best ever next to Wooden but she still gets nowhere the credit she deserves.

Last night for instance her achievement didnt come on SC till :42 after the hour. WTH is that?!
=======================

GAME DAY RECAP Sunday, March 20

Summitt can pass record with win vs. Purdue
[size=-2]BOX SCORE | RECAP[/size]
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Pat Summitt thanked her team for helping her tie the NCAA Division I victory record before getting down to what really matters to her.

Tennessee's 94-43 victory over Western Carolina on Sunday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament was win No. 879 for Summitt, tying her with former North Carolina men's coach Dean Smith for the most victories in Division I history.
-----------------------------------
MORE ON SUMMITT'S SUCCESSAfter Tennessee's 94-43 rout Sunday -- which put Pat Summitt atop the all-time wins list alongside Dean Smith -- we can add Western Carolina to the list of teams and coaches haunted by Summitt's success. Story
---------------------------------
Summitt, however, is focused on advancing in the tournament.

After the victory, the Lady Vols asked their coach if she was excited about trying to break Smith's record in the second round.

"I said, 'Yes, I want your help,'" Summitt said. "I want to get this over with only because we will be going to Philadelphia and we all want to go to Philadelphia."

Top-seeded Tennessee (27-4) will face Purdue in the second round Tuesday night, with the winner advancing to the regional semifinals in Philadelphia.

Summitt is 879-171, while Smith was 879-254 in 36 years with the Tar Heels.

Summitt has been at the top of the women's game for years with six national titles and 15 Final Four appearances.

"I have so much respect and admiration for coach Smith. This is more than just a number," Summitt said immediately after the game.

"The Lady Vols that have played here have been really special. You think about all of them, they made it happen. It says that we've had some of the best players in the history of the game. They're part of my family and my life and for that I say thank you to all of them," she said.

Fittingly, Summitt tied Smith on Tennessee's home court at Thompson-Boling Arena, where the Lady Vols are 252-14 since it opened in 1987. Tennessee has never lost an NCAA game in Knoxville, going 45-0 since the women's tournament began in 1982.

And this is the most appropriate time of year for Summitt, who tops all women's coaches with an 86-17 NCAA Tournament record.

The Lady Vols, and Shanna Zolman in particular, made it easy for Summitt to get the victory.

Western Carolina (18-14), the No. 16 seed in the Philadelphia Regional, was undersized and outmatched from the beginning. Catamounts coach Kellie Harper (nee Jolly), a point guard on Tennessee's three straight titles from 1996-98, could only watch her team fall behind big early.

The Lady Vols increased the lead to double digits, 19-8, with 13:47 left before halftime, and they had a 19-2 run that pushed it to 29 points with 4½ minutes left in the first half. The margin hit 49 on Brittany Jackson's 3-pointer with 12:36 to go in the game.

Zolman matched her career high of 28 points, going 5-of-8 from beyond the arc. Shyra Ely added 12 points and 10 rebounds, while Alexis Hornbuckle had 11 points and 12 rebounds. And, in one of Summitt's favorite statistics, the Lady Vols outrebounded Western Carolina 57-36.

"Pat Summitt is huge for the women's basketball game," Harper said. "She's been a pioneer, a legacy, a legend -- all of those adjectives. And now, her tying Dean Smith allows her legacy to move over to basketball, not just women's basketball, and I think a person like Pat Summitt needs to be a legend in the game of basketball."

Chevon Keith and Monique Dawson each had nine points to lead the Catamounts, who won the Southern Conference tournament to earn the school's first NCAA bid

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funsc said:
why not let her coach NBA
1. She would never be respected because she's a "she."
2. Her accomplishments don't need validation by time in the NBA.

"Let" her coach in the NBA? Sorry, but in my opinion it should read that the NBA would be damned lucky to have someone of her caliber CONSIDER coaching for an NBA team.

at first i read the thread title and i thought it said Pat Summit dies....and i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaat?"

but any you who

congratulations to her...its a great accomplishment at this point...and it's only a matter of time....

The men wouldn't be able to handle her as far as her work ethics and drive. She's so intense....They'd be calling their mama's after about 10 minutes with her.....:p

iheartBrad said:
at first i read the thread title and i thought it said Pat Summit dies....and i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaat?"

but any you who

congratulations to her...its a great accomplishment at this point...and it's only a matter of time....
OMG! I thought it said the same thing when I first looked at it...lol :)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
nancgo said:
The men wouldn't be able to handle her as far as her work ethics and drive. She's so intense....They'd be calling their mama's after about 10 minutes with her.....:p
You know, that is the truth. There are many NBA players that would be severly outmatched by her. Not a lot of the guys could handle her intensity and work ethic.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Yes, no other NCAA coach has as many wins as Pat Summitt. And it took her fewer years (and games) to get there than Dean Smith.

They had a ceremony at Tennessee last night where they unveiled the new name of the court at Tennessee. Thompson-Boling Arena will henceforth be known as "The Summitt." That is quite an honor.

That is AWESOME...sorry I missed that (darn TiVo programming error).

Congratulations to Coach Summitt, that is a remarkable achievement and testiment to building a solid program and longevity. Now stick around and go for the even 1,000!!