Pascal Siakam

Honestly, if the Kings cannot swing a deal for Simmons or Siakam, im game for offering Oubre an MLE to try and bring him on at SF and move Barnes to PF where he plays better anyways.

Fox/Mitchell/guy
Hali/TD/JJ
Buddy (until he gets traded) /oubre/Harkless
Barnes/Bagley (until traded)/Metu
Holmes/Len/TT (Until traded)/Jones/queta (on 2 way)
Should do both! I hope the Kings are planning on using their MLE, there's still absolutely players available that can help their wing/defense problem

Honestly, if the Kings cannot swing a deal for Simmons or Siakam, im game for offering Oubre an MLE to try and bring him on at SF and move Barnes to PF where he plays better anyways.

Fox/Mitchell/guy
Hali/TD/JJ
Buddy (until he gets traded) /oubre/Harkless
Barnes/Bagley (until traded)/Metu
Holmes/Len/TT (Until traded)/Jones/queta (on 2 way)
I seriously doubt Oubre is willing to take the MLE if the reports are true that he was looking for around 20 a year

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's not like selling a house where you can wait a year until someone gives you your price or you fold, he's got to do something this year and nobody is gonna go above the MLE.

Oubre would be like 2nd or 3rd choice though. Will be good when the first wave of signings complete tomorrow and the RFA deals start to shape. I bet we get in on that action.

I seriously doubt Oubre is willing to take the MLE if the reports are true that he was looking for around 20 a year
So far reporting has said he is hearing only crickets at that price. This honestly has been a bad year for many players as elite teams are targeting specific needs (shooting like duncan robinson or rim protection line nerlens noel) rather than depth and most midling to bad teams overpayed borderline allstars (derozan) but i have but very few midline to bad teams are giving bad contracts to midling players who dont have an elite skillset in my estimation. Oubre is the Holmes of the wing market. Good to Very good at alot of stuff, not great at anything in particular. Basically a good piece to have. The market for those players seems to be 10-15M. That is what he is going to be offered at most. So either he takes a vet minimum to win or he gets payed on a shorter contract to try again next year. Honestly what he needs to look at is what happened to Schroeder. Mid level players should be very cautious about turning down 10s of millions to "bet on themselves" because usually it doesn't work out for them. Then they come across as difficult or curmudgeonly like Schroeder, whose antics talked his own way our of a 4yr/85M contract and now cant get paid. He will end up having to take ab MLE somewhere and has probably cost himself $40M in career earnings because of it. Oubre shouls not be the next Schroeder or Bonzi. He should take a 2yr deal with the second year being a player option (all guaranteed). If he balls out this year, he can opt out and try next year when teams will have more to spend. If he plays average to bad, opt in and make your paper and try again. Holmes got the picture quick as the dominos were falling. This guy better get with that program and sign somewhere offer double digits before desired roster spots are taken and he has to take the vet minimum and gets stuck at the end of a bench. Like the lakers who may not need him but keep him for depth. Then he gets screwed for trying to get the next big deal.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not super high on Oubre but if he ends up on an MLE deal I have to think he'll be highly motivated to prove himself. He'll also likely be looking for a one year deal to get back in the FA market next off-season.

As a single season rental it makes sense on both sides, especially if Hield is dealt and we can offer him a starting role. It doesn't fix the long-term need for wings but he could possibly help this Kings team make the playoffs.

I'm not super high on Oubre but if he ends up on an MLE deal I have to think he'll be highly motivated to prove himself. He'll also likely be looking for a one year deal to get back in the FA market next off-season.

As a single season rental it makes sense on both sides, especially if Hield is dealt and we can offer him a starting role. It doesn't fix the long-term need for wings but he could possibly help this Kings team make the playoffs.
Honestly even if we keep buddy at this point, he will be motivated probably to be on his best behavior otherwise sit his ass and his value suffers for tye next deal. On the Kings, with Oubre, he could be expendable. But i agree, a 1 plus option for 2nd year is what he should do. He would make this team very very deep on the wings and can allow barnes to move to the 4 making bagley very expendable and crush his 2022 market if he doesn't behave.

Yeah that's sort of my issue at this point. If you could get Oubre on the cheap for a few years, I'd be willing to gamble that, but I don't want us to be a stopping ground for him to get a big pay day next off-season if he blows up and us having no chance to retain him. I just don't think he's really all that good either. Which at this point, I think that's likely what he does, so let him go do that with a contender.

I'd rather take a run at the RFA (Hart, Vanderbilt, Diallo) as my top 3 targets and maybe try to work a S&T to secure them with those teams. If that doesn't work out, dumpster dive for guys like Svi, Garrison Matthews, James Ennis etc to fill out the depth.

Yeah that's sort of my issue at this point. If you could get Oubre on the cheap for a few years, I'd be willing to gamble that, but I don't want us to be a stopping ground for him to get a big pay day next off-season if he blows up and us having no chance to retain him. I just don't think he's really all that good either. Which at this point, I think that's likely what he does, so let him go do that with a contender.

I'd rather take a run at the RFA (Hart, Vanderbilt, Diallo) as my top 3 targets and maybe try to work a S&T to secure them with those teams. If that doesn't work out, dumpster dive for guys like Svi, Garrison Matthews, James Ennis etc to fill out the depth.
I would take Hart and Diallo but I think that they would be matched on any MLE we offer.

Yeah that's sort of my issue at this point. If you could get Oubre on the cheap for a few years, I'd be willing to gamble that, but I don't want us to be a stopping ground for him to get a big pay day next off-season if he blows up and us having no chance to retain him. I just don't think he's really all that good either.
He's not, you're right.
If Oubre was as good as his ardent supporters believe, he wouldn't be available in FA. He'd already have a massive contract.

Oubre is one of those players certain fans obsess over because of the athleticism.

Trade machine says you can do Buddy/Bagley/TT for Siakam/Dragic. That might be more palatable to them than the Buddy/Bagley for Siakam deal. Adding TT and Dragic saves Toronto almost $9M in cap and potentially gives them a piece they like more. You’d probably still need to add a pick, but that helps them move off Dragic.

We definitely don’t need Dragic, but he is an expiring that you could try to buy out or flip at the deadline. You could do like you did with Belly- basically bench him behind the young guys and trade him at the deadline.

The Lakers are obviously still interested in Buddy so I wonder if a Denis Schroder sign-and-trade could be combined with a Siakam trade to get Denis to Toronto as their Kyle Lowry replacement? A Buddy+Bagley+lotto protected first round pick for Siakam would be perfect for us but I don't know if Buddy is really what Toronto is looking for going into a rebuild. Schroder and Bagley gives them a steadying vet at PG and a young scoring big to slot in next to their defensive-oriented forwards and maybe the Lakers will throw in a courtesy pick of some kind to get the shooter they obviously covet. Just a thought.
Goran Dragic

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm not sure what exactly you mean here, but if it's that Toronto is covered at PG because they picked up Dragic in the Lowry deal... I don't think a 34 year old on an expiring contract is any kind of long-term answer for a rebuilding team. He's a trade asset they're going to try to move to a contender during this off-season. The only reason they would trade Siakam is that they want to clear his salary and make more room in the rotation for their new top 5 pick Scottie Barnes. I don't think Dragic makes sense in that context but Schröder might.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't see how the Kings can beat the Warriors if they unleash all their young pieces and Wiggins, but Hield/Haliburton could be enticing. I'd personally hate to see it right now, but oh well.

I know this would never happen, but here is a 4 team blockbuster.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yz2fuofq

Portland gets Simmons and Buddy, Sac 2022 and 2024 picks with some protections
Philly gets Lillard, Bagley (or TT), and Anfernee Simons
Toronto gets Tobias Harris
Sac gets Siakam

Why for Sac? We get the trade we want- Siakam for Buddy, Bagley/TT, and two somewhat protected picks.

why for Toronto? If they are building around FVV, OG, and Barnes, they need a bigger wing who scores. Harris is a much more complete scorer than Siakam and helps provide more offense to balance the roster.

why for Philly? They get Dame. Yeah it costs two starters, but Dame is hands down the best guy in the trade. Dame and Embiid are two top 10 guys. They can get a look at Bagley, and also gets Simons as a possible wing. Plus, they could afford Thuybulle’s offensive limitations with Dame and Embiid.

why for Portland? If Dame wants out this is a good package. Simmons, RoCo, and Nurk is a solid defensive pairing, and you have two lights out shooters in CJ and Buddy. Plus the two Kings picks are probably mid first or so.

I have a funny feeling that the Kings will land Siakam in a deal soon, before the start of training camp.

I think it will be Buddy, Bagley and 2 first round picks (top 5 lottery protected) for Siakam. Ultimately, I think Toronto will pull the trigger on Siakam trade this summer and the Kings offer the best chances for high draft picks (sadly for us :confused:) from teams chasing him.

The Kings will have a pretty competitive team, that I think will get the playoffs, once Siakam gets healthy.

PF Siakam / Metu
SF Barnes / Harkless / King
C Holmes / Len / TT / Queta (2-way)
SG: Hali / TD / Ramsey
PG Fox / Mitchell

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think we may be a half year to a year away from pulling off a deal for a Siakam or other type of player like him.

Either Bagley has to improve his value by balling out and it’s a trade deadline deal
Or
We are another draft pick acquiring talent away from making a deal

I think we may be a half year to a year away from pulling off a deal for a Siakam or other type of player like him.

Either Bagley has to improve his value by balling out and it’s a trade deadline deal
Or
We are another draft pick acquiring talent away from making a deal
I hope that you are wrong - but I’m coming to a similar conclusion. I wish the team could start the season with fresh energy and less personal agendas. But my wishes rarely come true.

I have a funny feeling that the Kings will land Siakam in a deal soon, before the start of training camp.

I think it will be Buddy, Bagley and 2 first round picks (top 5 lottery protected) for Siakam. Ultimately, I think Toronto will pull the trigger on Siakam trade this summer and the Kings offer the best chances for high draft picks (sadly for us :confused:) from teams chasing him.

The Kings will have a pretty competitive team, that I think will get the playoffs, once Siakam gets healthy.

PF Siakam / Metu
SF Barnes / Harkless / King
C Holmes / Len / TT / Queta (2-way)
SG: Hali / TD / Ramsey
PG Fox / Mitchell
While I agree this would be a competitve team , I have concerns after two years
I think with some sort of bird rights we could keep TD, so we would be set with 4 guards

PF Siakam / Metu
SF King
C Holmes / Queta
SG: Hali / TD
PG Fox / Mitchell

I suppose if 31yr old Barnes is still starter quality and resigns on the cheap we could keep the core going for two more years
But with Siakams salary and trading away our picks for him I dont see a path for improvement in yr 3 or 4
I think we would be getting an upgrade at PF (Siakum vs Bagley) But would cost us too much long term

Buddy need to go to Pels for Hart, future Picks Or traded next year at deadline for young starting SF and or 1sts
We would then 3-4 1st rd picks to improve the team further. If Bagley works out long-term in 2 yrs:

PF Bagley or Pick/ Metu
SF (Pick and Hart) or (Traded SF and pick) or resign Barnes/King
C Holmes / Queta
SG: Hali / TD
PG Fox / Mitchell

I guess I am saying I would Prefer draft assets and Bagley potential over 1 starting PF after two years

Siakam would be great but will cost an 'arm and a leg'. How about Markkanen as a value pickup?
IMO, the "plausibles" being bandied around now - e.g., Oubre, Markkanen, Hart - aren't upgrades to what we already have (Metu, Harkless, King, even Davis w/his length). I'm much more excited to see what Metu can do with wing minutes than to bring in any of these other guys. If the Kings really want Siakam, they're in the enviable position of having enough in the backcourt that even including one of Mitchell, Fox or Haliburton in a trade for him would leave the position group strong.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ard-bradley-beal-and-nbas-top-targets?src=rss

The proposed trade is HB, Mitchell, Bags and a '22 1st-rounder for Siakam.

Hard pass.

Siakam is better than HB, but not nearly by *that* much. And, to me, the idea is to pair Siakam with HB, not displace one with the other. As for Mitchell - no, he obviously hasn't "played a minute in the NBA." And, NO, based on what we've seen of him so far - skills/attitude/leadership, not to mention his $21 million/4-year contract, vs. the 3 years, $101 million PS has left on his - there's no way I'm making that deal if I'm the Kings.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.58.25 AM.png

Last edited:
I don't get why picking Barnes has to mean Siakam is out for fit purposes but then I am a little surprised how dedicated they've played Barnes at PF so far. Ideally he can play next to Siakam easily.

I don't get why picking Barnes has to mean Siakam is out for fit purposes but then I am a little surprised how dedicated they've played Barnes at PF so far. Ideally he can play next to Siakam easily.
I hope they're smart enough to just play all 3 of OG-Barnes-Siakam together. That trio is just gonna rip up everyone defensively.