Oprah not so generous after all.

QueensFan said:
Not sure that I would call that "generosity" on the part of GM.

Little more than creative advertising aimed at stay-at-home moms.
How come it is generosity when when everyone thought Oprah corp. did it,
but when GM corp did it it isn't?

(even though most of the publicity still seems to be that Oprah pulled them out of her own pocket)

mcsluggo said:
How come it is generosity when when everyone thought Oprah corp. did it,
but when GM corp did it it isn't?

(even though most of the publicity still seems to be that Oprah pulled them out of her own pocket)
GM is known more for its outsourcing than its generosity. See: "Roger And Me" by Michael Moore. Discusses how GM closing its plant in Flint, Michigan helped turn that city into one of the most violent and impoverished in the nation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If there wasn't an Oprah show, this never would have happened. Her staff spent a very long time finding an audience full of people who really needed cars. She was under no obligation to do that. I still think it was her generosity of spirit that led to the idea...

Now, from VF21 - the moderator:

We have a steadfast rule against discussing politics, hot topics, etc. in the Lounge. Please do not turn this thread in a direction that will get it closed.

VF21 said:
If there wasn't an Oprah show, this never would have happened. Her staff spent a very long time finding an audience full of people who really needed cars. She was under no obligation to do that. I still think it was her generosity of spirit that led to the idea...

Now, from VF21 - the moderator:

We have a steadfast rule against discussing politics, hot topics, etc. in the Lounge. Please do not turn this thread in a direction that will get it closed.
You don't think Pontiac would have found another show on which to do this?

Considering she made a $50 million donation last year, I wouldn't exactly call her not so generous (source: http://slate.msn.com/id/2094848/). I think the message she and her show/magazine portray is more along the lines of generosity than consumerism, even if they are both there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
True generosity on either Gms part or Oprah's would be if they just gave the cars away quietly in some back lot somewhere without ever mentioning it ont he show. Clearly that's not this situation.

But in any case I will take it as an absolute given that GM is not a charitable institution when it comes to its products, and ANY giveaway of a GM car is a business decision designed to build goodwill and result in increased sales. If Oprah has paid...eh...who knows. Probably at least SOME generosity involved if that's the case, but there's at least the possibiltiy of an increase in her bottom line as well.

Hmm...I'm trying to figure out to what degree I want to associate myself with this cynicism. I agree with you about GM completely, they are not a charitable organization. Speaking of Opera, I think I'll side with uolj on that one because I think that the spirit of her show is more on the side of generosity, even if she didn't pay for the cars herself. True, it's her job, and she makes a fortune doing it, but I'm guessing that the people who got the cars don't really mind that part...to them it was sheer generosity.

In the end, everything humans do is for their own benefit. Even the most selfless acts impart some benefit on the individual who does them, even if it is only an "internal" benefit that occurs within their conscience. So I think we have to look at the end here rather than the motive. To the recipients this was supremely generous.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
QueensFan said:
Hmm...I'm trying to figure out to what degree I want to associate myself with this cynicism. I agree with you about GM completely, they are not a charitable organization. Speaking of Opera, I think I'll side with uolj on that one because I think that the spirit of her show is more on the side of generosity, even if she didn't pay for the cars herself. True, it's her job, and she makes a fortune doing it, but I'm guessing that the people who got the cars don't really mind that part...to them it was sheer generosity.

In the end, everything humans do is for their own benefit. Even the most selfless acts impart some benefit on the individual who does them, even if it is only an "internal" benefit that occurs within their conscience. So I think we have to look at the end here rather than the motive. To the recipients this was supremely generous.
Good answer, QF! Good answer!!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
Good answer, QF! Good answer!!

I agree with VF here, QF. That was a very good response. It is all about human (or a particular human's nature) and Oprah's nature has always appeared to be one of generosity and good will.

I doubt this was about GM trying to find a show to give away their cars. I would bet this was Oprah's idea and then she went out and pitched it. The fact that she got GM to help in her generous gesture simply shows how much influence she has.

The fact that she didn't pay for these cars, doesn't really matter..... it's all about the fact that she makes things like this possible. That woman does so much for people it is unbelievable ..... She invested so much of her money to open school in Africa. As far as I am concerened, that is a more important gesture than cars......

I really give her thumbs up for everything she does.

My sister-in-law lives a two buildings down the street from Oprah and runs into her quite often. She said that Oprah was rude to her, but knowing my sister-in-law, she likely deserved it tenfold.

TheSerbianQueen said:
The fact that she didn't pay for these cars, doesn't really matter..... it's all about the fact that she makes things like this possible. That woman does so much for people it is unbelievable ..... She invested so much of her money to open school in Africa. As far as I am concerened, that is a more important gesture than cars......

I really give her thumbs up for everything she does.
I was just about to say the same thing! Oprah is always doing great things for others... whether she paid for the cars or not, it happened! And it was a great thing, because those people were so excited to get a new car. I thought it was great! :D

monk said:
My sister-in-law lives a two buildings down the street from Oprah and runs into her quite often. She said that Oprah was rude to her, but knowing my sister-in-law, she likely deserved it tenfold.
:D
My condolences to your poor brother...or is it your wife who suffers? :D